How long does it take to sand those plastic covers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This plastic has been clear coated for a couple years.

239736022_gNq5a-M.jpg

239736107_Jegx2-M.jpg

239736212_WdPc4-M.jpg

How do you sand/polish the area around raised surfaces (e.g. letters) without destroying them?
Is that the detailing part of it you mentioned?

i like to tape off the decals and such so i don't hurt them

took pics of my 066 cover i did half assed last night let me upload them

Thanks Fred. You certainly did get a lot of the shine back. But you can still see a lot of fine scratches in it. I'm not knocking your work, just examining the options. The deep scrapes and stains you have in there can be scraped out with a sharp razor blade. Don't try to cut it out. Scape it with a brand new blade, keeping the cutting edge nearly perpendicular to the surface. That will keep it the smoothest. You can then sand that smooth.

Thanks Fred. You certainly did get a lot of the shine back. But you can still see a lot of fine scratches in it. I'm not knocking your work, just examining the options. The deep scrapes and stains you have in there can be scraped out with a sharp razor blade. Don't try to cut it out. Scape it with a brand new blade, keeping the cutting edge nearly perpendicular to the surface. That will keep it the smoothest. You can then sand that smooth.

hmm kinda like shaving the runs out of clearcoat?
ill have to try it....
thanks

That's why I didn't want to paint (I suck at it) :censored::

attachment.php

Gave it what I thought was one light coat and 10min later another one.
Waiting right now to dry off.
Hope it buffs out after it's completly dried.
The color came right back, not bad.

Isn't it amazing how the color comes back?!!!

It sure is.
I have to create a comparison picture (with the same lighting) between those and a similar part.
Now, are we sure we don't want to stick them in the oven at 170F???
I test Nylon 6 at work all the time up to 250F (but those are black, unpainted parts).

Right now, I'm scared to screw up those parts.
I have a beat up 026 cover that I'll try one of those days.

Next is the 064, which I have to paint orange first (as the air-filter cover is not plastic).
:cheers:

Aren't you going to put more coats on it? I've never had just 2 coats cover all the fibers.

Yes, probably 2 more; I was just going to let it dry to see if those noses go away or maybe I'll try to buff inbetween coats.
As I said, I suck at painting.

So the idea is to get 5 really light coats on with letting them dry to much and without noses.
Great. Well, I see mysely sanding it down again when it's dry.
BTW, would you know where to get those little rivets to put the decal back on?
Thanks for all the advise.

Actually, I spray ever coat heavy enough to get it to flow out. But I suppose it would be better to have thinner dryer coats initially than to get a run. I'm not a painter per say, but I believe the initial coat should be rather light anyway.

The rivets still are available from your dealer.

Hey mheim,

Recently I picked up a used 044 that had plastic sunburned so badly I thought about buying new covers. Wigglesworth suggested I try rubbing it out with Meguiar's Endurance Tire Gel instead. I couldn't find Endurance, but I did buy Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Gel and tried that instead, which worked out great. I did only a tiny bit of sanding to take out some dark marks. Here are before and after photos:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Just a couple coats restored the color just fine and Wiggs says it lasts a long time. It's sure worth a try before you do much more sanding.

Olyeller
thATS SOME "GOOD WORK"

Back