How long to wait on steady work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't huh? Well all of you everywhere can adopt that mindset as far as I am concerned so I won't have any competition Nationwide.

What you gettin' at here, mickey? You don't like what you do? You remind me of my boss. ####in' HATES tree work. Why would he choose that profession then? I'll give you that I'm young, dumb, enthusiastic, and all that jazz and maybe another 20 years of this #### I'll want to come back in time and slap my current self in the face for deciding to put my body and mind through this horror of a profession, but man, you can ask my girl, I'm a real ####in' grouch if I don't get some trees down in a day.

Sunrise,

we hear you on that staying small and not biting off more than you can chew. you can chew it if you are hungry and smart enough. that is fine if you are satified at just getting by and paying your bills. running a tree care company is a very tough business to operate. much easier things can be done and all the time, investment, and effort could be placed into a different field that would net you a six figure income by staying small. Not in tree care, staying small with the competition a tree care company faces today will not earn you that. There is too much difference in the way a small tree care company runs their operation vs a large one, but your biggest competition is the largest tree care company in your area. the one that gets the highest percentage of the avail jobs. like it or not they are your competition and it is up to you to put together an army of warriors to go into battle against them. by staying small you are bringing a knife to a sword fight.

if you are happy with just saving a little stay small, the only way to even have a shot at making a killing like we did 20yrs ago is to have the big equipment, big marketing budget and a team that can recieve and complete work at a rate that is far beyond what your competition can keep up with. VOLUME.

you say you have a girlfriend. do you have any kids? but arent making enough to support yourself without other investments right? point is there are those that have a big family, have more than one house, have some big toys in the garage and at the dock and did not get that lifestyle buy not taking some very high but calculated risk and became that top tree care company. I know not everyone wants the life of luxury, but why put up with such a hard business to run and a hard task to follow if you are not able to make a GREAT living. This is why tree care is going down the tubes, too many of you guys undervalue the risk you take being in this business. Just being comfortable is for the guy who just bangs a hammer into a board, or just plants some bushes or puts some wire nuts on a light. Dont you think we as operators have a lot more to worry about than a guy who has no machines to worry about daily and no threat of major damage to a customers home or employees who could die instantly with one false move? You as an operator are happy at taking a small piece of the pie for all that you place on the line? WHY?

I originally wrote a reply to the above that was filled with acrimony and bad will. After reading over it I hit the "Delete" button and I'm sending this instead. Score one for the Spirit of Christmas:

I live very well. My kids are finishing college and doing well. My houses are all paid for and I have the toys I enjoy. I have a gf whom I love. I have done things my way for a very long time, and my way has made me very wealthy, with few regrets. If going after running a big operation is your happiness, then you go, guy, and God bless you.

Peace on earth to all. Happy New Year.

I don't know sunrise's situation so I won't speak for him but for me, personally, I could give a rat's ass about the big family's, big toy's, big houses, big boats and what not. I don't care. I only strive to be comfortable and earn a decent living. Why trees then? Why my own business then? Why the risk? Because I LOVE it. Every ####in' inch of it. There are parts of the job that aren't great ( poison ivy ), parts of doing business that suck ( paperwork ) , and parts of the risk that aren't a lot of fun ( when #### goes bad ), but when it comes down to it, I'll take the good with the bad because...basically...I'm DONE without it. Swing a hammer? lol, if I don't have my life on the line when slingin' tops and my nuts in a vice to meet a deadline giving me the motivation to push through and come out better for it...well, at the end of the day my beer won't taste as good. Tree work gives my life spice. Running my own business gives me freedom. Risk gives me a boner. It ain't all about the profit.

Couldn't of said it any better myself, except for the getting a woody thing that could be an occupational hazard.

You don't huh? Well all of you everywhere can adopt that mindset as far as I am concerned so I won't have any competition Nationwide.

What mindset would that be?

I had a beautiful Christmas. The wife and kids are all healthy and happy as are most of my extended family.
Unlike Christmas 9 years ago. I was making money hand over fist,but was married to a miserable woman,and lost my uncle 1 week before the holidays.
Turned the [then] wife into a miserable woman with a bunch of bling,and did nothing to bring back my uncle.

There is more to life than money my friends :cheers:

What you gettin' at here, mickey? You don't like what you do? You remind me of my boss. ####in' HATES tree work. Why would he choose that profession then? I'll give you that I'm young, dumb, enthusiastic, and all that jazz and maybe another 20 years of this #### I'll want to come back in time and slap my current self in the face for deciding to put my body and mind through this horror of a profession, but man, you can ask my girl, I'm a real ####in' grouch if I don't get some trees down in a day.

I am not saying I love or hate the tree care profession but let me tell you something Blakes, when it comes to business I am a business man. I'm not some guy getting a thrill out of cutting a tree down. You have got us all mixed up. I have done my share of hard work and I am not to good to get out there with my employees and sometimes do but this business is to me like any other and that is the bottom line. They need to have a commercial tree care forum for owners to talk business and then one for guys that just get a thrill out of removing trees.

If I was very wealthy I wouldn't talk about it.:laugh:

My grandfather, who is a multi-millionaire, says all the time. "There are those who are incredibly wealthy, and those who talk about it." And, along the same lines, "The difference between winners and losers? Losers talk about winning, and winners just do it."

No opinion one way or the other on the whole thread. Just thought the quotes applied.

My God bless everyone, and bring peace to your families forever!

Jeff

If I was very wealthy I wouldn't talk about it.:laugh:

I suppose "very wealthy" is relative, so I'll just say that I have the money to do what I want to do, when I want to do it. I'm in the tree biz because I love the work and the whole learning process. I had the good luck, and some intelligence, to make the right investments at a young age, and now they have paid off. I can't stand sitting on my rear, at home, and I like the physical nature of climbing and doing work in the trees. That's why I'm in the tree biz. As noted in other posts, though, if business does not pick up in the new year, and it has every year, I will be out of trees and onto yet another profession, which I'll do well in until I move on, again. For me, learning is the most rewarding thing in life, and each new profession brings yet another chance to learn new skills and apply them.

Speaking of "wealthy," what does that mean these days? If you have a net worth of $1M, are you wealthy, very wealthy, well off, barely getting by, etc., etc.?? Is a net worth of $2M "very wealthy?" $10M? I honestly don't know what the general consensus is on terms like that, and when I threw that in, in my last post, I was just going with a gut feeling. Getting out in the Ommmmmisphere---Maybe having your health, peace of mind, happiness and love makes you "very wealthy."

I am not saying I love or hate the tree care profession but let me tell you something Blakes, when it comes to business I am a business man. I'm not some guy getting a thrill out of cutting a tree down. You have got us all mixed up. I have done my share of hard work and I am not to good to get out there with my employees and sometimes do but this business is to me like any other and that is the bottom line. They need to have a commercial tree care forum for owners to talk business and then one for guys that just get a thrill out of removing trees.

I understand that. I just wonder what your motivation for choosing this profession and sticking with it are. You and some of the other big boys on here talk a lot about how this is not a good business to be in if you want to be "wealthy", so why are you in it? John posed a question to those of us who aren't in it for the money, and I told him why I am. If you, like John are in it for the money and you've come to the conclusion that there's no money in it, then why are you in it? Money is a great thing, and yeah, I want more, but a lavish lifestyle is not what I choose, I just want a nice little cabin and a few more acres of land. I could get that in almost any profession if I applied myself, but I LIKE tree work, that's why I do it.

I could get that in almost any profession if I applied myself, but I LIKE tree work, that's why I do it.

thats a fair enough answer and nothing wrong with that. My hats off to you guys who put up with the abuse of being a tree care owner op who cant see the achievement of their dreams within short term reach(i.e cabin and acrerage). My point is that is it will take you working harder and longer to get that cabin and a couple acres if you stay small because of the fierce and highly mechanized competition you face.

Nothing wrong with this way at all, but when I hear these whiners(not you blakes) crying about work ill be the first one to tell you to quit whining and lay down the risk and reap the benefits. Their is no better time than now to re-invent your company.

The number one goal that you will learn in any business school is that the reason a business exists is to maximize profit. If you are not doing that you are simply not a business man, but more of a worker. And again, nothing wrong with that.

I like trees, but I like being a businesses man more. To me its not about the money its about the satisfaction I get from taking a calculated move. Checkmate

I like trees, but I like being a businesses man more. To me its not about the money its about the satisfaction I get from taking a calculated move. Checkmate

Which is why I also own a business. I could make damn good money, more than I currently make, climbing for another service but the thrill of a sale, the success of an ad, and the ability to make my own calls garners much satisfaction for me as well. I bet your a poker player, aren't you, John?

Which is why I also own a business. I could make damn good money, more than I currently make, climbing for another service but the thrill of a sale, the success of an ad, and the ability to make my own calls garners much satisfaction for me as well. I bet your a poker player, aren't you, John?

Poker, nope, not my game.

see you do have a business mindset then. keep feeding your business with new ideas and embrace new technology and trends and your thrill level will become even that much greater. you wanting a cabin and acrerage is wanting more than a decent living( which is all you stated you wanted) I think that is why Mcktree replyed the way he did.

Afterall, sounds like to me you want to make a dream come true by implementing your own entreprenurial tactics. I will say I hope you achieve your dreams sooner rather than later and hope I was able to share any wisdom in my posts. Cheers and Merry Christmas

I often look at guys like that I wonder if I will be the same after so long. I like the work but the business sucks. I am very happy to have the great clients I have now I would be scared if I had to really pound the pavement competing with some of the guys out there now.
I do feel bad when I see them doing some jobs I would have like to do but there is little I can do about that. If I can't do it well and make good money and be happy about it then screw it.
If I wasn't able to walk away, if I had to rely on others to do the work, if I had to cheapen myself time and again to keep a crew working and support them I couldn't.

Last edited:
Poker, nope, not my game.

see you do have a business mindset then. keep feeding your business with new ideas and embrace new technology and trends and your thrill level will become even that much greater. you wanting a cabin and acrerage is wanting more than a decent living( which is all you stated you wanted) I think that is why Mcktree replyed the way he did.

Afterall, sounds like to me you want to make a dream come true by implementing your own entreprenurial tactics. I will say I hope you achieve your dreams sooner rather than later and hope I was able to share any wisdom in my posts. Cheers and Merry Christmas

:cheers:

If I was VERY wealthy I wouldn't touch this business with a ten foot pole.

What would you do if you were very wealthy?

Personally I would want to do something. I have little desire to travel, did too much of that in earlier job. But I would want to do something.

Why not invest in something you enjoy/love, hire a few younger guys to help out and to whom you can teach the work.

I don't know for sure. Realistically the chances of me ever being very wealthy are not good. One thing is for sure though, it would not be a service business. I love to travel but with the ball and chain of this business around my neck I can't leave for very long. I wouldn't want to do ANYTHING that required employees. I guess if I had the money I would buy a house on the beach around Majajual, Mexico and fish my life away.

Personally I would want to do something. I have little desire to travel, did too much of that in earlier job. But I would want to do something.

Why not invest in something you enjoy/love, hire a few younger guys to help out and to whom you can teach the work.

Yeah, I agree. Well said. The trees keep me interested in learning more about arboriculture, everyday, and they keep me in better shape than any of my old friends who are now stuck behind desks and/or in cars/trucks/taxis all day long. At 57, I still weigh what I did in high school (155 lbs.) and my BMI is right around 11%. I find the work fun and challenging on many fronts. Many times I have gone through a scenario where I win $20M in the lottery and I think about what I would do. Always, it comes back to the trees, with perhaps a few more vacations thrown in. Should I be forced to start up in another profession due to a lack of cash flow from the trees, you can bet your #$$ that I will do trees on the weekends just for the pleasure of doing them.

Latest posts

Back