How long would a 'streched-out' Cord be...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTwoodnutt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Group,

How long would a Cord of wood have to be, if I unstacked a 4' X 4' X 8' stack, and restacked it, one log width, 4' high, in one, long single row?

I lucked into about 2-3 Cord of fresh cut Maple (mostly green) last week, and would like to speed up it's drying time, if possible, to have it ready to burn in, say, three months (December/January).

I will be gettin' busy with that this week!

BTW- It FINALLY cooled down, here in Connecticut last night, with a nice cool, Northwest Breeze and temps today in the lower 70's, 50's tonight!

AHHHHH ! ! !

Enjoy It!

CTwoodnutt

Am guessing about 23 feet in length, roughly. We stack rows of 16" splits @ 5' height, 20' in depth.

(16" = 1.33 feet.)

W x H x D ~ 1.33 x 5 x 20 = 133.

It's simple math.

A cord is 128 cu ft. I'll use 16" lengths since that's the most common.
16"= 1.33ft (16/12)

You solve for a... 1.33 x 4 x a=128

4x1.33=5.32, so...

5.32a=128

128/5.32~24ft

Hope that makes sense, about as well as I could lay it out on the phone.

Hi Group,

How long would a Cord of wood have to be, if I unstacked a 4' X 4' X 8' stack, and restacked it, one log width, 4' high, in one, long single row?

I lucked into about 2-3 Cord of fresh cut Maple (mostly green) last week, and would like to speed up it's drying time, if possible, to have it ready to burn in, say, three months (December/January).

I will be gettin' busy with that this week!

BTW- It FINALLY cooled down, here in Connecticut last night, with a nice cool, Northwest Breeze and temps today in the lower 70's, 50's tonight!

AHHHHH ! ! !

Enjoy It!

CTwoodnutt

As others said, 24' if cut 16". or twice as long as half the length.

Sold two cord willow today. Yes it is poor quality wood but cheap price comes out about the same $/btu as paying more for quality wood. I get $120/cord for it. Got a shock today when loading. I have been delivering loads with a rick stacked across the front of the bed (cab high racks), and one across the rears to act as tailgate, remainder tossed. Always figured it was 3/4 cord plus. Today I was loading off measured 4'x24'x16" and found that that load comes to just shy of a full cord, rounded over it would make a cord. I've been cheating myself.

Harry K

Harry K

Latest posts

Back