how man here free hand sharpen theyre chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
File by eye/hand/feel for the most part. Grinders are good if you really rock a chain, but not for everyday use. A good file man will make a grinder look sick.

I freehand until my chains get a little ugly, then tune em up on a grinder...

I hand-file all of my chains. The round ones i can get nearly perfect every-time and the square ones i can make them cut, just don't ask to see them.

i always sharpen my chain barehands no gloves:smoking: LOL however im not a production logger so grinding would be overkill in my industry

Nope. I didn't know they already sent them out. I been wondering...

I have one under "special circumstances"... If you had a deal going with Goran, shoot him an email... He's a super nice guy, and a heck of an inventor IMO.

Free hand file only...one that's been rocked the son and I just use the teeth that didn't get it too bad and file that angle besides if you've filed enough the angles are in ya head though I don't saw for a living. I did years ago but now I just play with them. I touch mine up regular---unlike the friends that bring theirs to me that will wear a file out.

I use a grinder on my ripping chains, regular chains are all done by hand. Been doing that way nearly 35 years...except the ripping chains, that is.

Mark

I file by hand usually with a guide. I'm still learning to perfect it. Every so often I check the length of the cutters with calipers in order to keep them close to the same length. Filing the rakers has been something I've learned the importance of. Just get a depth gage and file them whenever needed. All the people that file by hand on this site made me decide to learn how to do it correctly.

Me too

I freehand file my chains although I may well shell out for a grinder simply because I get a few second-hand saws coming through my garage doors and they almost always have badly-filed chains, which then takes me ages to sharpen.

I'm not sure whether I do a decent job or not, but I follow the angle guides etched on the teeth and file mine with the chainsaw clamped in an old vice which isn't bolted to the workbench. That way I can line up the angle with the side of the bench and get a reasonably accurate angle.

Some of my old Carlton .404 have been badly rocked and blued the teeth so I can't sharpen those teeth with a file - the files get ruined within minutes. A grinder or a dremel is the answer here.

I hand file unless I've got a real mess on my hands.Got a good deal on a grinder a few years back, and it came in handy when the 4 foot bar I got for my 084 came with three .404 chains that were a real mess. Took a while on the grinder, would have taken forever with a file and probably wrecked a few files.......

Worse part is I haven't needed the big bar yet. Got a huge old shade tree maple to clean up that will need it, but waiting for winter!

I`ve always hand filed. Learnt to do it when i first got a saw. I have a bench grinder for badly rocked chains but prefer to hand file everything else.
People i know who cut a bit of firewood replace their chains when blunt, which is probably a lot blunter than i would consider blunt. Must cost a fortune. I would have them myself to sharpen but they`re crap safety chains from a diy store.
To me having a sharp chain and knowing how to sharpen it in the field or at home is a must have skill. If you cant do it, learn. Theres plenty on here or youtube about guidance. Then just practice. I get satisfaction from sharpening chains in my shed not to mention a bit of solitude.

ive ran into quite a few firewood getters we end talkn saws and they realize this hobby for me a couple have asked who sharpens my chains they seem almost shocked when i tell them i do .
these same guys just replace the dull chains my guess is they rarely are cutn with sharp chains. i have never considerd junkn dull chain or paying someone to do it for me.

Latest posts

Back