How many cord in an owb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve.b

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wanted to get an idea of how much wood I need to get started. I have and underground house with three sides in the ground with a sq. ft. of 1800. House is well insulated and do not get much wind. I will also be heating dw. Everything i will be burning will be ash, red and white oak and some hickory. I have about 6 cord so far and am going to try and burn quite a bit of dead standing this year so I don't burn the green stuff. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I see you are in Kentucky so your winters are a little shorter and milder than mine. I burn 13-17 cords heating 2 farm houses (about 5000sq ft), with only average insulation. With that in mind, I would say you'll be in good shape with 6-8 cords. It's even possible 4-5 with a smaller OWB which should enough stove for your situation.

6-8 cords of wood will be enough to keep you warm over the winter. BTW I used to try and burn hardwoods like Oak and Hickory exclusively, but with an OWB pine and cedar and other softwoods will burn nearly as good. I burn an ass load of pine every year and it will keep you just as warm on a 18 degree night as Oak.

What is dw? Apart from the dw, I would think you are in pretty good shape with 6 cord and a well insulated home of 1800 square feet. I usually burn 8 cord from Nov. 1st to Early to mid April in my OWB and I have 2300 square foot house that is fairly well insulated. I also have a heat loop to my attached garage as well and use it some during the winter when I want to work out there. Also, I heat my domestic hot water with the OWB during the winter. I would think my heating degree days would be greater in Central PA as compared to Kentucky but not sure of that. Anyways if you could get another cord or two you surely should be good for the 2013/14 winter. That is unless the dw that I cannot figure out is a real heat sucker:) Besides if you do not use all the wood you gather this year during the coming winter, it will keep for the following year and you will be that much further ahead. I dropped some damaged Hickory and Black Birch a few weeks ago, some black locust a month or so before that and I expect it to be ready by next winter. I have some oaks down too but it could be iffy for next winter as it seems to take longer to dry, especially since I cut 24" length wood. The hickory and the locust should be dry in 6 months as they have less water in them to begin with. Oh, is dw your domestic hot water?

Yeah water, ash, oak and hickory is all that is on my property. I am looking at the natures comfort ncb120. My brother and brother in law have natures comfort and really like them but I think i'm going to use the thermopex line.

What is dw? Apart from the dw, I would think you are in pretty good shape with 6 cord and a well insulated home of 1800 square feet. I usually burn 8 cord from Nov. 1st to Early to mid April in my OWB and I have 2300 square foot house that is fairly well insulated. I also have a heat loop to my attached garage as well and use it some during the winter when I want to work out there. Also, I heat my domestic hot water with the OWB during the winter. I would think my heating degree days would be greater in Central PA as compared to Kentucky but not sure of that. Anyways if you could get another cord or two you surely should be good for the 2013/14 winter. That is unless the dw that I cannot figure out is a real heat sucker:) Besides if you do not use all the wood you gather this year during the coming winter, it will keep for the following year and you will be that much further ahead. I dropped some damaged Hickory and Black Birch a few weeks ago, some black locust a month or so before that and I expect it to be ready by next winter. I have some oaks down too but it could be iffy for next winter as it seems to take longer to dry, especially since I cut 24" length wood. The hickory and the locust should be dry in 6 months as they have less water in them to begin with. Oh, is dw your domestic hot water?

Dusty, Where ya at in Central PA? I'm in Juniata Co..I know some Rhodes in the Lewistown Area

More or less just basement with metal roof. It's raining cats and dogs. Will try and get pic later

Latest posts

Back