how many cords in a log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim 1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, new here and new to buying wood,used to get a permit and cut. When looking at a tree in somones yard to buy for firewood, how do I calculate how many cords are there to be fair to the owner? I trie to visualize a box 4x4x8 or 128 cu.feet of wood, but is there a formula to tell me more accurately. The tree is a downed fir 45inches at the butt and 12 inches 80 feet away. I checked other sites and they give me board feet, not cords. You guys will know, that i am sure. Thanks Tim

probably a gross overestimation here...

Looking at it mathematically. Assuming an even taper from butt to top. 45+12/2 gets you an average diameter of 28.5 inches Or since cords are in feet 2.375 foot average diameter. a circle of that size is 4.43 square feet time the 80 feet of log equals....

354 cubic feet of wood in the tree----- then you can divide by the 128 cubic feet per cord and come up with final answer...

the log theoretically has 2.75 cords of wood in it.

Funny thing though is that you probably won't get that much out of it.

Taper probably is more like a bell shape-- fat on the very bottom but quickly narrowing

But hey let us know how much you get out of it

cords

I was at about 3 cords, and the owner says the company that took the tree down told him 5-6 cords, and said to ask 100 a cord. I do not think that we will agree on how many cords are there without ricking it. I want to haul in logs. Thanks Tim

My neighbor and I have red pines between us. So far we have cut about 150 down, (these are about 30 years old and 16-20" diameter). I cut/skidded 9 this week. We throw them on the burn pile. I certainly wouldn't use them for firewood.

Well, I wouldn't pay 100 dollars a cord for a firewood log. Something that I had to go get, haul, cut, split, stack etc. Maybe you and the the owner of said wood can come to an agreement-- if he trusts you to take the log and process it and tell him/her how much it actually amounted too in terms of split volume.

Sounds like the owner of the wood might be expecting 5 to 6 hundred out of the log based on what he was told, so it might be a hard sell.

offer what you feel it's worth (I'd give 25 a cord if it was easy access, easy to load the log, close to home, etc) take it cut it up, split it, stack it and go back to the owner of wood with a check.
Or, maybe barter, something like say give me the log, I'll bring a third of it back to you cut and split.

and just as a side note, .. I wish I had oak, or locust, or pecan, or some of those other good woods to burn, but fact is sometimes people live in areas where there aren't those types of wood in abundance so we burn fir. and Douglas fir isn't real bad firewood. Lightweight, splits easy, seasons pretty fast, and has about 20Mbtu's per cord vs say Red Oaks about 24Mbtu's per cord..

Last edited:
When I first started selling firewood and did not have a great/consistent source for wood, I would pay no more than $25 for an unsplit cord of wood. Basically, $25 for a 4x4x8 of rounds that I cut from the owner standing and hauled away. There is not enough money to be paying $100 per actual cord, IMHO.

I was at about 3 cords, and the owner says the company that took the tree down told him 5-6 cords, and said to ask 100 a cord. I do not think that we will agree on how many cords are there without ricking it. I want to haul in logs. Thanks Tim

In Oregon?
I would think he'd be lucky to sell it for $100 a cord if it were a good sawlog and he delivered it to a mill. And you'd be lucky to sell it for $100 a cord for firewood after you buck, split, season, and deliver it.
How much would the arborist have charged him to haul it away and get rid of it?

Am I wrong about West Coast prices?

In Oregon?
I would think he'd be lucky to sell it for $100 a cord if it were a good sawlog and he delivered it to a mill. And you'd be lucky to sell it for $100 a cord for firewood after you buck, split, season, and deliver it.
How much would the arborist have charged him to haul it away and get rid of it?

Am I wrong about West Coast prices?

fir? no thanks. local prices:

http://bend.craigslist.org/search/grd?query=firewood&catAbb=for&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

Doing well if you get $150, and I sure wouldn't pay much if anything for dead and down.

man! $100 for an estimated cord of wood, that is still in the form of a tree!? that is a ripoff if ive ever heard one!
on top of that, is this softwood we are talking about? :dizzy:

I can hardly afford to pay anything for firewood in the form of a tree, then process it,handling, delivery with my expenses, then resale it for profit.
I suppose if I just wanted to cut firewood for my use and didn't have a source, but not $100 a cord unless it was clean logs delivered.
Around here its usually a service you get paid for to remove the wood from someones yard and often you get the wood to.

I would never pay to remove a tree from someone's property if anything I would charge them. If I need wood removed from my property I put a add on craigslist for free wood u haul and it is normally gone that day.

If you're on CL, depends on whether you are driving a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge... :hmm3grin2orange:

lol:laugh:
i resent that statement, but it is funny
i advertise on c-list and sell nothing but FULL cords with my ford.... it just has a trailer behind it;)

So cut it in 4' logs and stack it out on the trailer or truck and measure it.. just an idea..

Latest posts

Back