how many cords

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever491

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i have been researching the conversions and just cant figure it out. i have 7 oak trees all 40' tall and 30' base, no limbs to figure in......after being spilt how many cords am i looking at

i have been researching the conversions and just cant figure it out. i have 7 oak trees all 40' tall and 30' base, no limbs to figure in......after being spilt how many cords am i looking at

depends on how small a diameter pieces you cut to put in the firewood pile. ;)

40' doesn't really seem that tall. Hard time picturing a full cord from one. Go cut one up and tell us what you come up with!:greenchainsaw:

Sounds too high by a bunch. It takes a big tree to make a cord even including limb wood. I regularly cut Willow in the 30" and up size that go to 70 ft or more. It is a rare one that will yeild a full cord.

Harry K

Hi Harry,
It will be interesting to see how much wood each tree yields. I used an online cone volume calculator http://grapevine.abe.msstate.edu/~fto/tools/vol/cone.html Then found - The standard measurement unit for wood used for paper and fuel is the cord. This is a stack of wood 4 ft. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. containing approximately 128 cubic feet of bark, wood and air space. Air space can actually be as high as 40 percent but usually averages 25 percent
So a cord( 128cu. ft.) with 25% air space would be about 96 cu. ft. of solid wood.

Using the cone volume calculator- a 30" base , 12" diameter at 40' yields 102 solid cu. ft of wood.
Using .......................................... -30" base , 4" diameter at 40' yields 75 solid cu. ft. of wood.
He never did give the diameter of the trunk at 40" - so I plugged in a couple numbers to get an idea of the volume.

Stubby tree! All my 48' red oaks run 12-14" at the base. I guess I need to do more thinning to get one of those!

It varies too much to speculate I got five full cords of limb wood
and a log 56" by 49' this was quite possibly the most wood I have
ever seen in one tree I figured the trunk to be 1 and a half minimum
so 6 and a half cords one tree. This tree was multi limbed with limbs
big as trees!

Last edited:
Hi Harry,
It will be interesting to see how much wood each tree yields. I used an online cone volume calculator http://grapevine.abe.msstate.edu/~fto/tools/vol/cone.html Then found - The standard measurement unit for wood used for paper and fuel is the cord. This is a stack of wood 4 ft. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. containing approximately 128 cubic feet of bark, wood and air space. Air space can actually be as high as 40 percent but usually averages 25 percent
So a cord( 128cu. ft.) with 25% air space would be about 96 cu. ft. of solid wood.

Using the cone volume calculator- a 30" base , 12" diameter at 40' yields 102 solid cu. ft of wood.
Using .......................................... -30" base , 4" diameter at 40' yields 75 solid cu. ft. of wood.
He never did give the diameter of the trunk at 40" - so I plugged in a couple numbers to get an idea of the volume.

Thanks. Per the figures it looks right but I am still dubious.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back