How many cut just for fun??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where are you located Airecon? What saws do you have? I think I'd get a 372xp if I was you, while you still can.
Have you ever tried noodling to spit the wood?

I heat with wood, but I'd still cut if I didn't. Running a chainsaw is one of the alot of fun to me.

Yeah chainsawing isn't very healthyf exercise, but at least we're out of the house and off the couch, right?:clap:

I burn about 4 to 5 cords a year to heat the house,last winter the furnance did not go on once except for turning it on to make sure it still was in working order.I love to cut wood and if I did not heat with it I would be cutting it to sell.Every time a buddy or neighbor needs help with cutting I am there with a sharp chain and a smile on my face.I have enough wood split and stacked now for about 4 years which makes cutting alot more fun because I can pick the days I want to cut and take my time and take as many breaks as I want and enjoy the great outdoors.:givebeer: :popcorn:

If the house is cold, the wife's NO FUN.
If I have to pay $600 a month heat the house, I'm NO FUN.

So... Yes, mine is all for FUN.

I bought a new house last year that used propane to heat with. When I did the math on what it would cost to heat the place I quickly realized I needed to install a wood bolier to be able to afford the place but the problem was that I hated cutting wood when I lived with my parents. So I told myself that for 4000 dollars a year in money saved I could suck it up and cut wood. Well a funny thing happened last winter I found my self wanting to go out and cut and that I actully enjoyed it. So yes I do cut for fun.

I burn about 4 to 5 cords a year to heat the house,last winter the furnance did not go on once except for turning it on to make sure it still was in working order.I love to cut wood and if I did not heat with it I would be cutting it to sell.Every time a buddy or neighbor needs help with cutting I am there with a sharp chain and a smile on my face.I have enough wood split and stacked now for about 4 years which makes cutting alot more fun because I can pick the days I want to cut and take my time and take as many breaks as I want and enjoy the great outdoors.:givebeer: :popcorn:

I just moved to my house almost two years ago. I haven't been able to cut even a year ahead yet let alone 4 years ahead. Mostly just early spring and pray it dries in time for winter. Been too busy fixing the previous home owners mistakes. This fall I'm cuttin Next years though... Can't wait.:clap: Can you believe my saw hasn't run for like a month CRAZY

I cut for friends (that's fun), favors (that's fun) , money(that's fun) and get cranky if I haven't cut after a week (not fun) .

:cheers:

This pretty much sums it up for me. I don't heat with firewood, used to. I help cut all my BILs wood. We also have a church campground with the huge 3'-4' trees you've seen me fall. I'll take a side job when I have the opportunity. But I only Cut4Fun!

Good thread!

Like many of you, cutting is for fun...and some for utility like storm fall and grounds maintenance.

I'm on the 'want list' for a wood stove so cutting may increase in the future for heating!

Cutting is always fun for me, though I don't get to do as much as I would like lately. All of my cutting is generally for a purpose like removal's, storm cleanup, prepping and milling logs for furniture and bringing in firewood for a few local families, one of wich heats exclusivley with wood. A lot of the work that I do is on a local tree farm with lots of old growth timber.

Here in Arizona (at least where I live) the predominant species is Ponderosa (Yellow) Pine, which I mill for fencing and such, but isn't the best firewood (sooty and leaves a lot of ash). What IS great is the oak... however, the oak around here (Gambel) grows in small pockets and thickets and the permit you buy allows only the taking of dead AND down. So I actually go out into the woods and do a fair amount of scouting to find all my firewood.. then I bring the truck out and cut/collect all my findings. Its very time consuming, but it actually is fun.. it gets me out hiking and by the time I've found it all, cut it all, and split it all by hand, I'm hammered.

I heat my house exclusively with wood... my wife loves the savings... I think its one of the reasons she tolerates all the chainsaws.

90% is just for fun, I do small clearing jobs, and use my saws on the job. But 99.9% of the time, my fat A$$ is on a piece of equipment. Employee is the one Humpin' saw all day. I don't heat with wood, and I don't own a saw mill any more. I could do every thing I need to do If I just owned 1 saw. May be more like 99% just for fun, Lol..

I cut to keep my house heated. Including domestic hot water. So, for that reason, it is just another task I must do to keep this place going [completely off grid, so....] I do not dread going out to cut, but I don't thirst for it, either. My saw is a tool, I keep it tuned and cleaned and the bar/chain serviced every day and etc. as I do with any tool, and there is pleasure in using a good saw that is running great and gets that task done. And cutting with it sure beats working by the hour for some dip so I could pay a gas/elec. bill. It's great to be in the woods, though I am here all the time, sawing or not.

Cutting for fun

Clearing out some of the alder just for something to do
attachment.php

I don't think I really need the wood
attachment.php

Always easier once the helpers show up
attachment.php

Slowly it starts to look like a pile
attachment.php

Don't know if this has been asked before or not. How many of you guys don't heat with wood, your not a logger or you don't run a tree service- you just have saws and cut some wood for the fun of it? That's me, I cut a little wood for camp fires and Im wanting to go to a GTG. Then there's a guy at work he's wanting me to come cut with him, he just cuts for campfires and bonfires too. Last year I cut about 10 ricks, which was a lot for me, and sold some. I've thought about cutting some and giving it away to some older folks, but I don't have a splitter.

I think Im going to buy a new saw in case I get to go to a GTG. Im thinking about a Dolmar 5100 or Husky 353 and maybe try and find a Home Depot Makita and "Super Size" it. I could've bought one two weeks ago for $250, but talked myself out of it. One thing I've notice from looking at pics here, a lot of you guys don't talk yourself out of buying saws like I do.:laugh:

So how many of you have saws and cut some wood just for fun?

I have 28 acres of wooded property that I play on. I cut firewood for my self, and make ATV trails through it. It's all recreation and exercise for me.
If I don't feel like it, then I don't do it. I enjoy using my saw. I help friends and neighbors with storm clean up in their yards. I never take any money for any of it. I do it all for fun. :greenchainsaw:

I do heat my house with wood, but I help two old guys cut wood that I bought wood from my first year with the wood stove. They have offered to cut me in on 1/3 of the profit, but I declined. I just don't think I would have as much fun if I was getting paid for it.

Can't think of a better way to lose a couple of friends than to introduce money into it. They get a young buck to do a lot of work for them and I get to get outside, get some exercise, have good conversation with two guys who have been around the block and run my kick a$$ saw. I think I get the good end of that bargain!!! What do you think???

Iowa

Latest posts

Back