How many drive links

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ax-man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is there a way to get an accurate link count for a chain saw that has a bar but no old chain old to go with it??? Normally I try to keep a chain mated with the bar or if it is a Sthil I can look it up, but some of these other brands I'm lost because I have no info on them. I hate to go through the process of breaking and riviting a chain if it is off by 1 or 2 links.

Thanks

Larry

I don't of a list but if you ask about a saw hear someone could probably tell you the number of drive links.Also the Oregon site list a lot of saws and chains sizes to fit them.

If it's a Stihl, go to www.stihlusa.com and find their "Saw Chain Selection & Identification" document. It lists all the specs including drive link count.

You can mount the bar at the mid-point of the tensioner range, leaving the bar cover off. Measure the total length around the bar and drive sprocket with a cloth tape from the wife's sewing machine drawer ( or use a heavy cord ). Divide this length by the chain pitch doubled, as this is the length of the drive link spacing. For example, if you measure 39 3/4" and are using .325 pitch chain, you will need a link count of
39.75/ (.325 x 2 ) = 61 links.

Link count.

What I usually do is mount the bar as glade has said, but I put the bar at it's shortest point on the chain tentioner. Then take a tape and measure around the bar and sprocket and as glade stated, take that measurement and divide by twice the chain pitch. Then I add 2 links to the final total. This has always worked for me. Take care. Lewis Brander.

Thanks guys,

This is really helpful information, I've got it all copied down for future reference.

Larry

When I am in doubt,I just order a bulk length of chain,and several tie straps,and "roll my own",so to speak.The longest one I've ever done,was 143 drive lengths of .404 by .058,which was for a giant new[old stock] McCulloch bar.This was the simplest method I could think of,at the time.

Wow, 143 links, how long was that bar?? I'm glad you mentioned that .058 gauge in .404 pitch. I think I have one of those odd ball bar and chain that came on a that 450 I got running, only it is just a 24" bar. It is going to need a new chain, I just sharpened what little was left of the chain just to see what the saw was going to do.

Larry

Ckick this link Oregon Scroll down and you can download there whole book on the bottom right it's 6.2mb in PDF format or you select what you need on the bottom left.
How many links on this bar?

attachment.php

Last edited:
Ax-man said:
Wow, 143 links, how long was that bar?? I'm glad you mentioned that .058 gauge in .404 pitch. I think I have one of those odd ball bar and chain that came on a that 450 I got running, only it is just a 24" bar. It is going to need a new chain, I just sharpened what little was left of the chain just to see what the saw was going to do.

Larry
I bought 16 ft,enough to do that 48 inch bar,plus a 28inch.I think they are out of it.I got some from Jeff S.,but it is semi.It pops up every so often on e-bay.Give Baileys or Jeff a shout,they may have some more.

One of the local guys here showed me a trick. Put the bar in a vice, and run some chain on the bar. Cut the piece long enough that you have the same number of drivers hanging out the drive end that you have on the saw. e.g. if you have a 7 tooth sprocket, you should have 7 drivers hanging ou the end.

Clear as mud? When you do figure it out, take a set of punches or a paint stick and mark the bar, e.g. 98DL 3/8 .050

Stihl has a bar length and driver count section at the back of the Bar & Chain Manual. It is not very up to date but is extensive in the models, lengths, and count. It has been pretty accurate when I check it, at least enough to get close to what may be needed.

Yes, I've discovered that Oregon bars lie

When I ordered chains for my 42" Oregon bar, it says stamped in the metal 135 links, however, on my 066, it is about 2-3 links short. I have to call Bailey's tomorrow to get 6 links and 4 connectors...yay.

Back