Missing Drive Link

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikeshopguy345

Reaction score
Is it safe to run a chain with 1 missing drive link?

I have an echo cs590 with a 24”bar. I bought a new Oregon chain and one of the drive links was too thick to fit into the rail on the bar. All of the links had 72 on them except the thick link said A1 or something.

I was going to try and make it thinner with a grinder but messed it up and ended up grinding it off.

If it is a safety issue I’ve no problem tossing it. If it is not a problem, I hate to waste a good chain.

I bought a new Oregon chain and one of the drive links was too thick to fit into the rail on the bar. All of the links had 72 on them except the thick link said A1 or something
Sounds like while the chain was being assembled (probably by robots) the A1 accidently got mixed in with the 72s. Sometimes repair shops will not knock out the bad driver and replace it with the correct one because then you would have two master links on the chain (at least that is the policy of the store I work at). However if it was a new chain (unused like yours), I would go ahead and butterfly in the correct driver. If the chain had been used then I wouldn't attempt it as it would then require filing down the cutter to match the others. However, if you have your own tools (or access to them), then you can make the repair yourself.

Most of the time we get stretched chains that need a driver or two knocked out or someone has a bar made by a company different than the chainsaw and what should be a 72 or 84 driver chain ends up needing one more or one less driver to correctly fit.

Back