How many have used the xl-12?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would bet that there were more XL-12, Super XL 12, XL Auto chainsaws produced than any other model of chainsaw period! Every body who lived out in the sticks had one in the 60's, 70's and even the 80's. They are still a dam fine saws if you don't mind the numb hands after running one for a while. Some had problems with the case bolts backing out and locking up the flywheel. I have gotten several given to me by people who thought the P/C was toast and seized up and the only thing wrong was a bolt had backed out and locked the flywheel. A good one with good paint will bring good money on Ebay.

I learned on my grandpa;s old SXL in the mid 1990's. It was a good saw and I learned how to use the manual oiler. Ended up trading it for my Husky 55, which is my favorite all around saw. I miss that old Homie, a lot of guys around here consider Homelites junk saws, even the older ones, I like messing with them and getting them running again just to prove them wrong, and cuz this is Stihl contry and nobody else runs them.

I'd like to get my hands on a C-5 or C-7, a saw that will give you Popeye arms.

I was just curious how many members have used the Homelite xl-12 and how many still have one in their arsenal.

My Dad had one, and my first saw was 1 and I added a C-5, then C-52, had an 041 non Av, Mac 55, ended up selling those , moved west for a short while and chose an super xl for reliability. After using my new 034 super a while I felt the old homeys were not making the best use of my time though.
They still cut wood reliably , just not as fast and comfortably. If you just cut a modest amount of firewood should work well enough if your not finicky. It would make a decent backup saw for when you get in a pinch or your main saw or if it quits, or a beater riding along in back a pick-up IMO.

Tough old saws, vapor lock in the summer and sometimes winter. Anyone that has used one has gotten a spray of gas from cracking the fuel cap open to fast on a hot day. Horrible anti-vibe = NONE except from a rubber grip in the trigger and a rubber grip on the top handle on the newer models. Old ones had ZERO rubber. Good saw to play with but they will kill your hands and arms for full time use.

Dad has 2 XL-12's-one of which was originally bought by my grandfather. Back in the day Dad burnt about 8 cords a winter in a horribly inefficient fireplace to heat our house, and all of it was cut with his XL-12 (he had a little XL auto for limbing, though). It was the saw I learned to cut with as well. I'd imagine at some point those two saws will be added to my collection, but Dad hasn't offered them yet...

I see older Homies sold in running condition at shows for around $25, usually XL series or sometimes an old C series. I'd like to pick one up and use it for a good back up or possibly a loaner saw (tough to break something with no plastic). I have seen some guys put a chunk of heavy rubber hose on the handleto dampen vibration, I think it would make a big difference.

Twenty years ago that was all we had on the state highway department where I worked. They were very solid, dependable saws. Yes they were loud and vibrated like crazy, the gas would boil in the tank on very hot days but they were very good saws for the time. I never owned one personally, I had a cherry 031AV at home but I always admired the homies as a tough work saw.

This was our hooked to the belt (not saddle) light weight climbing saw when I started climbing in 1967. Super light weight with a 16" bar, real handy in the tree. Had one for about 20 years until someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I had a super xl auto that I sold a few years ago. It was a good firewood saw that took a beating. I think the exhaust tone of the old homelite is legendary. If i'm not mistaken, Jackyl used an XL in the rock song "Lumberjack". Well, maybe not...

Last edited:
I had a super xl auto that I sold a few years ago. It was a good firewood saw that took a beating. I think the exhaust tone of the old homelite is legendary. If i'm not mistaken, Jackyl used an XL in the rock song "Lumberjack". Well, maybe not...

Jesse James Dupree uses a Stihl. Watched him inadvertantly almost cut a wooden stool in half on stage once. I would have figured that he would have used a chain made up of drive links & tie straps only but no.....:D

I just picked up an XL-12 at a garage sale yesterday for $20. I figured it was worth that just for the bar and chain (much newer). I took it home and it fired right up and ran well. I'll have to take it back in the woods and try it out.

I just got rid of one old XL, but still have one that runs real nice. It was my dad's. I'll keep it as a backup and for the sentimental value.:cry:

:cheers:

Back