How many of you chainsaw users have heated shops...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try peanut butter with a chocolate chip wedged into the metal part. Hasn't failed yet. :clap:

The chip sounds like a good idea. I've been told another trick with peanut butter is to tie a very short string to the trigger and smear with peanut butter. Seems like mice can't resists pulling the string.

Ok the new traps caught 3 of them last night.;)

Still saw another one when I went in this morning to check on the traps.

The sticky paper and live traps did nothing.

Only one of the other traps had food stolen off it.

Pwhew I was starting to get an inferiority complex...

If you want a good live trap...

Place a garbage can near your bench. then balance a few short sticks over the edge with Peanut butter on the end that hangs over the garbage can. Mr Mouse walks out on the stick to get some yumm yumms and falls into the can. A few sticks will yeald a few mouses. A good can with no scratches will not let Mr mouse and freinds climb out.

If you like this helpful shop tip please reward me by hitting the rep button!

Scott.

Try peanut butter with a chocolate chip wedged into the metal part. Hasn't failed yet. :clap:

My office is about 20 feet from shop and just now I heard the traps go off.

The Chocolate chip tip is great!!!

My count is now:

Live Traps = 0
1st Snap Traps = 0
Victor Snap Traps with Chocolate Chips = 8
Sticky Paper = 1 (The size of my thumb nail)

My better half gets back from the middle east on Saturday and I hope they are all gone by then!

I haven't seen one in days but they are still around...

Again thanks for the chocolate chip idea, you got repped for that!

Last edited:
Winter is back this morning!!! And I am glad the shop is heated....

52 cm of snow...And at end I broke the snowblower....At least I got it almost all done...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I don't know how your mouse problem turned out, but another trick is to super glue a peanut to the trigger. You never have to re-bait and you will catch several with the same bait.

garages/heat

I have 3 garages, one attached, one 2+car about 25 feet from the house known as the back garage, and one 110 ft from the house thats 24X24 and known as the wayback garage. Attached is unheated, back is wood heated, and wayback has large kerosene, unvented propane, and knipko heat, one or two used when working out there. Knipco is currently on the fritz, so old that I'm pretty sure Columbus brought it over. Coldest that I have ever seen here is -36 degrees although with windchill I have see below -100 degrees on several occasions. One time we heated the sauna to over 200 degrees and ran out and rolled in the snow on one of those -100 degree days. 300 degree differenc will keep the old heart pumping. JR

Winter is back this morning!!! And I am glad the shop is heated....

52 cm of snow...And at end I broke the snowblower....At least I got it almost all done...
attachment.php

Priceless!

"Honey, It's been snowing, where did you put the shovel?"

"Just outside leaning against the house, 3 ft. to the right of the door"

"Hmm, OK, I'll be working from home today..."

Heat in the shop

It was my wife's idea to build a new garage & workshop, she thought the old one was "looking kind of ratty". 24x36 workshop with 24x24 garage in a "L" shape, 16' door can be closed to isolate one area from the other. Radiant floor heat with a gas fired boiler (she said we didn't have any place to put an OWB). Of course we heat the house with wood that I haul in every week or so. Highest gas bill this year was just over $100 and that includes cooking and water heater in the house and the occasional furnace run in the house as well. I can't set the thermostats below about 50°F in the garage and workshop, coldest temperature I ever noted was 47° F on the Explorer's outside thermometer.

Mark

My shop is 30 X 100. I use a 600K BTU Master Salamander heater to take the chill off. I use it sparingly because it costs 30 cents/minute to run. In a couple of minutes I can take my coat off. I get a fire started in a double 55 gallon wood stove with a fan behind it. That will maintain things nicely at about 65. 2 ceiling fans keeps the air stirred up.

Bob

If you want a good live trap...

Place a garbage can near your bench. then balance a few short sticks over the edge with Peanut butter on the end that hangs over the garbage can. Mr Mouse walks out on the stick to get some yumm yumms and falls into the can. A few sticks will yeald a few mouses. A good can with no scratches will not let Mr mouse and freinds climb out.

If you like this helpful shop tip please reward me by hitting the rep button!

Scott.

Hi Scott; I just use a new 5 gallon can with peanut butter on a piece of bread put in the bottom of the can,prop a stick up from floor to the rim and mr mouse and all his friends will just up the stick and jump right in. They can`t climb back up or jump out of the can,they are not that smart or that big at least up here. If you don`t mind the smell this trap is self perpetual as other mice will jump in to eat their fallen comrades and I have seen over 40 odd carcases in a bucket left at a fishing camp where it would get checked only one month a year. Pioneerguy600

By the way how do you give rep that I see asked for lately? Only been a member for a short time and never seen a thread about how to.

Back