How many of you chainsaw users have heated shops...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heat a 24 by24 shop with wood until it gets real cold then switch over to waste oil. Stove burns both. Farm shop burns strictly waste oil. Converted wood stove made to burn waste oil. Been doing this for over ten years. Can get the shop to over eighty no problem. 35 foot square with 16 foot side walls. Waste oil burner is simple and works great. Alot of waste oil around. Neighbors drop of barrels of it just to get rid of it.

Here is another pic of the shop stove a little closer to being done . Added another blower and finished up side sheids . wdchuck i posted a picture of the stove somwhere else on this site earlier thats why it probably looks familier .
a>

That is a sweet stove! I need to get me one built like that for my shop (outside version of course)

thanks i beleive your probably right about the outside version was working in the shop tonight in a tshirt and still working up a sweat and it does take up a little bit of space 4'x3' sometimes i go a little overkill on building things but it sure does keep the shop warm

My actual shop,which is twenty miles from the house has about 500,000 btus of hanging radiant heat,gas .Does a great job but is not cheap.I usually just turn on one strip ,right above my auto hoist and machinery area,lathe,milling machine etc.

The shop is 60 by 70 with 16 foot eaves and 3,16 wide 14 high doors in the front,one 10 by 10 on the side.

The two car garage at the house is where most of the saw work is done.40,000 btus of portable propane radiant heat.50 degrees in dead of winter works just fine for me ,cheapskate ya know.

The house has a geothermal,plus a woodstove insert.Just like old Simon,any temp I want,winter or summer.Holds within one degree.

A concern of mine as well. I have a fully insulated stick built 24' x 32' shop that I considered putting a woodstove in but decided against it for this reason. I use a propane space heater when it gets cold enough but thats rare. When I do I only heat the immediate area I working in. A couple years ago I helped my neighbor build a 30' x 40' shop and we installed floor heat. If you're not familiar with these systems its basically a series of water lines in the concrete floor with a boiler and valves. He keeps his shop at 60 deg all winter.

ANy of you guys have problems with condensation on tools or other rustables, with heating only when you are working in the shop?

yep.. if not you're living in the desert! I use "topcot" on my wood working equipement, Boeing T9 on hand tools, qay oil on my lathe/mill and scotchbite/oil when I forget:mad:

Yup, this is a problem. My bro put an addition on his three car garage and has infloor heat, it works sweet, the woodworking machines/tools are in there. I'm not so lucky.

Hey Lakeside,
Boeshield T9 I can find info on but what is this topcot stuff?
PS. I'd stay away form the gay oil and try way oil... LOL

yep.. if not you're living in the desert! I use "topcot" on my wood working equipement, Boeing T9 on hand tools, qay oil on my lathe/mill and scotchbite/oil when I forget:mad:
Hydraulic oil works pretty good too.I too am familiar with scotchbrite because of my short memory.

If I did't heat my garage/work shop I would have 5 months I could't do anything! It has a large wood stove and ceiling fan as it's 15ft high in side.
Without the fan it would take hours to warm up. I find for every -10c it is below 0 takes a hour for it two warm up so if it is -30c outside takes 3 hours to get warm but that is nice and warm. But what I have to do is put some sky lights in it nothing better than natural light for working.Right now it is -16c outside and this being the second last day of hunting season I have better things to do than work in the garage.

Even in California a heated shop is a good thing. I have a wood stove and gas heat. I re-cover aircraft wings in the winter and a constant temperature range needed for the dope (no, not That kind:) ) makes the gas heat necessary. The rest of the time I just use the wood heater.

I don't have a shop, I visit someone who does. He keeps it about 60 to keep everything dry, uses a big noisy 220 volt monster. It really doesn't get cold here, but it is very damp.

Ray

I have a seperate pump on OWB that I kick on when I'm going to be working in my 30X40 barn...just have it circing through a radiator w/ a fan pushing the heat.
I just kick the pump for the barn on a couple hours before I want to go out to the barn and work...or maybe on friday night when i want to work in there sat morning.
Able to get it to about 40 or so when it's 0 outside.

No shop yet a slab but want to mill my wood not ready yet!
My temporary shop is a storage shed 16+20 that a customer
wanted hauled off I got oversized permit and hauled it home
when it gets cold I have a salamander that I blow toward the
door feels like summer but makes your head swim some but
hey I'm warm:laugh:

Heated floor mats.

In my shop I have an old furnace that runs on propane. Very expensive. For the little jobs I do in my shop I stand on an electric floor mat. Its a growing device for starting plants. I also have one on my work benches for heating my hand tools and drying the painted muffler mods that I do.

If anyone wants an electric floor mat, I have a few to sell at $35. each plus shipping. They are awsome on cement floors.

Thanks,
Scott.

Ok so one of the downside of having a heated shop.

I found mice in my shop this week for the first time...

So the BOSS and I agreed to first try to live trap them and let them loose out at the woodlot.

Soooooooo Monday put in 2 live traps. No luck....

Tuesday No luck and the BOSS caught a plane to do some work in the Middle East So....

Wednesday I went out and bought the good old Snap traps.

Thursday...They licked the Peanut butter off every one of the traps without setting even one off...

TWICE!!!!

SO I OBVIOUSLY AM NOT SMARTER THAN A FIFTH GRADER HOUSE MOUSE!!!!!

I now have cracker on top of the peanut butter to make them work a bit more.

Oh and I object to having them crawl inside my coveralls that were hanging up in the shop!!!

Last edited:
Ok after multiple attempts at this, the last time they had the PB gone in 20 minutes so I just went out to another hardware store, bought 4 more traps with a different catch mechanism and some of that sticky paper. I just put it down.

We will see what happens.

I might have to put one of the BOSS's pampered cats out in the shop for the night. They wouldn't be happy but might do them some good...

I might have to put one of the BOSS's pampered cats out in the shop for the night. They wouldn't be happy but might do them some good...

Sounds like someone is going to get FIRED!!!!

I use traps in the house. I've caught like 30 mice. I got tired of setting and resetting them. The neighbor gave me some poison that is mixed in peanut butter. I put that in the crawl space, no more mice. :chainsaw:

shop

I have radiant heat in my shop/garage. I have a coal/wood furnace in it, I like that the furnace is big,(can handle 26" long pieces of wood. Which is an inch longer than my splitter can split. It stays a toasty 85 degrees in there most of the time. The saws like it, so do I.:) :greenchainsaw: :clap:

Try the following. Take a 5 gallon pail and drill a hole towards the top of the pail and place a metal rod with a 20 oz soda bottle on it. Fill the bucket with about 6" of water and spread peanut butter on the soda bottle.

If your using the normal snap traps you will need to fine tune them yourself so they are more sensitive to get them to work effectively.

Latest posts

Back