How many of you guys buy your logs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Encore

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We have several mills around here and couple weeks ago I went to the biggest one and asked them how much it'd cost to fill my trailer with pulp logs. Long story short, we haggled back and fourth and he agreed to fill my 12x6x3 trailer for $65 per load.

Lately I've been cutting for a logging company taking the tree tops, drive back and fourth costs me around $70 given the cost of diesel and not to mention the whole day being shot.

I couldn't believe the owner agreed to such an inexpensive price! It's all hardwood, lot of maple, oak, ash and cherry. The logs just have to be cut up and thrown in the burner. Bought 3 trailer loads which will come out to around 2.5 - 3 cords in log length (logs were piled higher than the sides so I'm estimating)

Best part is the mill is all of 5 min from my house.

I may consider buying a truck load of them down the road if I can get an even better price. I don't have an area to consistently cut right now and this saves me a ton of time.

Do a lot of you guys do it this way? Wish I'd have done it sooner

Nope. Good general rule:
Never pay for what you can get for free.

Seriously though, you may have options in between the ones you mention.

I did it once. $50/cord for log length. I bought 8 cord in a truckload. I think I got maybe 5 after it was cut and split. I don't know where he found the wood but it was 36" in diameter and hard to cut up. It's a good thing I had my 20" Mac 610. My 16" 290 wasn't up to the task.

I won't be doing that again.

That being said, if you can get wood at a good price, it saves the hassle of cutting and hauling out.

Last edited:
I know a guy who does. He put a picture on Facebook of the load that got dropped off. I don't know how many cord it was but it was a full semi trailer of logs. He still had to cut/split. He said it cost him $1700!! I can run my furnace all winter for $2000 and it would be a heluva lot less work. I know the guy has access to wood locally. Can't believe he would pay that much for wood.

I ran behind in my cutting last year. I paid $500 for this load:

how much wood? | ********** Forums Home

That came to 7.5 cord. I still didn't like doing it.

I bought this 8 cord load of 8 footers mostly oak last year for $800 should be a year and a half worth for me. It would have cost me twice that much for propane last winter had I not burned wood.

LogTruck2008005.jpg

I burn 4 cords at my house and my parents burn 7 one stove big farm house that wood come off family land
The 100 cords of firewood I sell. I buy logs off a logger it's easier for me That way

I have done, and will again, just to supplement what I cut.
#1 its about 60 miles one way to get to where I can cut.
#2 I have to buy a Forest Service or BLM permit
#3 I can haul only 3/4 of a cord at the MOST in one trip
#4 wear and tear on my own vehicle
#5 $85.00 a cord 16' lengths dropped off right in my back yard by a well trusted reputable guy.
#6 $250.00- $300.00 a month of propane if I choose to heat with my furnace.

I live in the "woods" I scrounge as much as time will let me. I will probably buy 3 pulp cords this year at a cost of $70-$75 per cord deliverd for hardwood. The last time I bought wood it was mostly Sugar maple and beach. I know the logger very well, that helps alot.

I know a guy who does. He put a picture on Facebook of the load that got dropped off. I don't know how many cord it was but it was a full semi trailer of logs. He still had to cut/split. He said it cost him $1700!! I can run my furnace all winter for $2000 and it would be a heluva lot less work. I know the guy has access to wood locally. Can't believe he would pay that much for wood.

I'd bet, that that 1700 dollar load would last that gentlemen 2 or even 3 years for maybe 50 hours work.
In that time frame I can't believe you would pay 6000 dollars to run a furnace.

There is a hardwood mill just a tad over a mile from the woodshed.I get all I can haul for $25 or sometimes I bring a load of sweetgum and we trade.It's mostly Hickory and pecan.Hickory is hard on a saw blade after it drys a little while and people like to drive spikes and cotton picker spindles in pecan trees, for some durn reason.I couldn't go cut a load like that for 25$.

Last yr I bought 8.5 cord of honey locust logs from a local tree trimming company for $400. That was delivered and dropped off in my back yard. $47 cord ain't bad. And I just brought home 2 huge trailer full loads of oak and pecan. I'm guess ing almost 2 cord per trailer. I paid $80 a load.

I know I can't go into the woods and get that much wood that fast for the cost of fuel, wear and tear , and my time.

I buy log loads as well. The cost varies from $600 to $850 depending on what is in the load.
The last two loads were at the high end ,as one was all oak , the other all locust . The man had to pick through his supply to get it , so I do mind paying for his time to do so . Besides , as stated above ,it saves wear and tear on my vehicle ,and saves time .

I bought one cord for $50 once. That was a while ago... I'm blessed with hardwoods all around and a neighbor that lets me cut what I want. 15 cord split and stacked now, probably 20 in the woods ready to go... I have cut for people who buy their logs and LOVED it. No brush.

Back