How many of you guys buy your logs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two loads of logs a year. Generaly, around eight cord per load, Oak and Hickory. 12 to 20 foot logs, 12" to 24" diameter, $300 per load delivered.
For me, cutting and splitting wood is theraputic.
I always end up with more than I need. There are a few families around me who are on a fixed income, I let them take what they need when they're short.
Win/Win situation in my mind.
Best,
Steve

First year I have bought a load of logs. Just can't get in the bush any more - safely.
Prices here are much higher -- a load of about 7 1/2 cords varies from $900 to $1100.
We are between Kingston and Ottawa - so this probably reflects the price.
Anyone out there in this vicinity that knows of a better price please let me know.
Thanks

There's always someone that has to turn it into a pissing contest. :D

I bet it feels great letting a big dog eat those logs?

If only I could afford the trailer or a big dog, or get loads like that for $25.

One day, when my lil' firewood gig grows up it might happen.

It will come. I wish I could send you a load or 2, I'll cut split and stack all that and it may not sell for a couple of years. I've got some full time competition and I'm only part time at firewood. I like those big logs, the guy who owns the mill smiles every time I get a load.Very few want the big logs.I was bucking them with a husky 350 until I broke down and got the Stihl 391, then I found the classifieds here and some good deals on some big dogs.

I'd love to have a wood lot where I could cut all the wood for us. I love being out in the woods. But when I did the math and realized it would actually cost me more to go get it (not including the time off work as I work 7 days a week) it just made more sense for me to buy it.

Nothing is really free in the long run. I'd rather give my money to the mill than the truck stop buying fuel lol.

I buy logs at $80 to $90 a cord delivered...oak. I process and sell off the best straight wood, keep the end cuts and kotted pieces for myself. Kind of like getting paid to burn wood. It's a system that seems to work for me.

I do a similar approach to MNGuns. Here is a load of all red oak I had delivered in july for $80 per cord.

View attachment 256775

With the help of my helpers we turned it into this.

View attachment 256776

I have another log load of birch I ordered last week and it should be here either late this week or early next week.

Last edited:
I could get all my wood free also out of the woods a pickup load at a time, but after I figured out the gas it would cost me it is almost a break even to have a 8 cord load delivered right to the side of my garage. It damn near costs $100 to fill my truck with gas now days. So $800 for 8 cords of 8 footers oak delivered is really a deal.

Last edited:
I could get all my wood free also out of the woods a pickup load at a time, but after I figured out the gas it would cost me it is almost a break even to have a 8 cord load delivered right to the side of my garage. It damn near costs $100 to fill my truck with gas now days. So $800 for 8 cords of 8 footers oak delivered is really a deal.

Thats a really solid deal!

Fuel prices are what got me as well.

Come to think of it there are two logging companies about 10 min from my house, I'll have to think about giving them a call next season. See what kind of prices I could get.

I like what some of you guys are doing with selling some of the firewood. I may consider doing that. I have all the equipment it's just the time constraint. But I'm sure I could work it out.

First year I have bought a load of logs. Just can't get in the bush any more - safely.
Prices here are much higher -- a load of about 7 1/2 cords varies from $900 to $1100.
Anyone out there in this vicinity that knows of a better price please let me know.
Thanks

I'm between Kingston and Belleville and the prices are the same as you stated. I'm in the same boat in regards to getting to the woods. I bought an 8 cord load last winter that came from Ompah. It came out to 7.5 cords. $1200. I had prices as low as $900 but have seen that suppliers wood a bunch of times and you get what you pay for. All were selling in 16' lengths but where I bought, they were 8' lengths. Too much air space on the 16' loads. So to me, I got better wood and paid pretty much the same when all said and done.

I pay between $50-70 per cord log loads, 3-1/2 cord at a time. Local tree service, puts it exactly where I want it right next to the stove/woodpile, and I also get to use his monster 35 ton splitter at no extra cost to me. He gets a place to put the stuff he fells and I get to not have to go find it myself. As others have said it’s totally worth it. I don’t own the equipment to go fell and retrieve standing trees, nor do I have the time to do it.

I was contracted last night about a dump truck load of Alder logs; but I have no room for it right now. But if I get that same phone call come March I'll jump all over it

Frank clears lots for new homes and gets a load a month and at $200 for a load you couldn't go wrong

We have several mills around here and couple weeks ago I went to the biggest one and asked them how much it'd cost to fill my trailer with pulp logs. Long story short, we haggled back and fourth and he agreed to fill my 12x6x3 trailer for $65 per load.

Best part is the mill is all of 5 min from my house.

I may consider buying a truck load of them down the road if I can get an even better price. I don't have an area to consistently cut right now and this saves me a ton of time.

Do a lot of you guys do it this way? Wish I'd have done it sooner

ENCORE-what part of Ohio are you in? I'm over in Northwestern Miami County (west central Ohio) and would love to find a deal like that within a few counties of me.

I pay between $50-70 per cord log loads, 3-1/2 cord at a time. Local tree service, puts it exactly where I want it right next to the stove/woodpile, and I also get to use his monster 35 ton splitter at no extra cost to me. He gets a place to put the stuff he fells and I get to not have to go find it myself. As others have said it’s totally worth it. I don’t own the equipment to go fell and retrieve standing trees, nor do I have the time to do it.

That's a sweet deal. Especially being about to get it in smaller amounts AND get splitter use.:rock:

It's around $65 +/- cord up here at a 10-12 cord minimum.

I am in Livingston county mi. Does anyone know where i can get a semi load of logs delivered

Thanks

Hi, I'm just north of Kingston and I'm paying 1000 for a single load and it originates from the Calabogie, Perth area. Your 900 is a good deal if its all hardwood.

Hi, I'm just north of Kingston and I'm paying 1000 for a single load and it originates from the Calabogie, Perth area. Your 900 is a good deal if its all hardwood.

How many cords are you ending up with in a single load? Are they 8' lengths and all hardwood? Would you mind passing on who your supplier is?

Thanks!

The million dollar question, how much wood is on that load.
6 1/4 to 7 1/4 are my guesstimates. I expect 6 1/4 and anything more is a bonus but its usually 6 1/2 to 7.

Where do you live, logs prices derive from fuel prices, the further you are from the wood the more it costs, unless you are my local logger who thinks his is worth more.
I'm hearing a load of logs on the landing is 550, so the logger who cuts and skids and pays the landowner, charges 500/550 for hardwood on the landing.The trucker, the people we see, charges roughly 100 an hour to drive up in the bush, spend 45 minutes loading it, drives to your house,spends 20 minutes unloading it, all the time burning fuel, with an insurance bill of about a $1000 a month and truck payments.

If you have a local guy he should be cheaper.

Send me a PM if you need names, there is alot of wood on the ground so I hear.

My brother did this year. Unlike me, he hates dealing with the brush and "work" associated with taking a tree down, so he decided to buy a load this year from a local tree company. Dual axle dump truck fully loaded, was told it works out to about 2-2.5 cords for $125.

attachment.php

While it was fun to go out and jump right in to cutting the big stuff without the mess of limbs- I have way too many trees that I need to clear on my property to even think about buying. For a long time.

Back