How many of you guys buy your logs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm between Kingston and Belleville and the prices are the same as you stated. I'm in the same boat in regards to getting to the woods. I bought an 8 cord load last winter that came from Ompah. It came out to 7.5 cords. $1200. I had prices as low as $900 but have seen that suppliers wood a bunch of times and you get what you pay for. All were selling in 16' lengths but where I bought, they were 8' lengths. Too much air space on the 16' loads. So to me, I got better wood and paid pretty much the same when all said and done.

7.5 is a big load for a triaxle,I usually get 6.5
here is another shot of the triple loads I get, 3 bunks 16 plus feet long. 47 to 49- 2200 lb Tons I was told

Last edited:
I get 2 triaxle loads of wood delivered year. 2 of my close friends and I split the cost and the wood. we run through about 2/3rds of the 2 loads through the heating season. then we have a head start on next year. This will be our 3rd year doing it. the division of the wood is not very accurate. it is stored in a building and loaded onto trucks to be taken to our respective homes as we need it. we never really keep track of it very well as we cut and split into our trucks before we measure the amount of cords, then stack the wood in the building. .

it works well for us. i have never paid more than $650 dollars for a load and every load is stacked tight on the truck with little to no air space. It comes 24 ft long and no bigger than 18in in diameter (most of it is between 8 and 12 inches) it is stacked where I want it, when I want it there. I have a regular guy and a back up guy. they like me cause I pay in cash when they get there, my wife give the driver something to drink or eat and they know if they need any welding done i'll be fair and honest with them.

one thing i wonder is how many cords i get out of a triaxle. people ask me all the time "how much wood do you burn?" and i never have a good answer. so a little help. How much wood is on a triaxle load? the logs are 24ft long, between 8 and 18 inches in diameter with the majority of them being between 8 and 12 inches in diameter. Below is a picture of a triaxle load on the truck and then in a pile before it is cut up.

IMAG0620-1.jpg

IMAG0426-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
Double check on the length of your logs, most beds on a triaxle is 16 feet and yours looks the same as mine. Its about 7 cords when worked up.If the logs hang over the back some 7.5 cords.
Nice looking sticks.

Here's a shot of a rig with 16' on the front and two rows of 16' on the back.

Last edited:
All those pictures of logs begging to be cut up makes my chainsaw trigger finger twitch. I'm like PLAYINWOOD, too much stuff I need to cut down to buy anything. Wifey says hauling the stuff out of the woods keeps me young but that's not what my bones and muscles say after a day of hauling.

As the lower class of dreaded "homeowners" or "weekend warriors" or "diddlers with too much money", or "non-pros" we never buy firewood. Why ?
I love the harvesting, felling, bucking, clearing, humping, splitting, stacking......really. For the few weeks a year playing in the woodlots, I get our complete heat for this Maine winter, keep the lovely body in shape for summer and winter sport:censored:, and get to brag to friends and neighbors about how we don't spend $$$ on heating. I've got the WoodPiles OCD.

Now for an Inconvenient Truth: a couple of years ago we did have to buy a trailer load of 16' logs. A macho past finally caught up with the hip that was replaced with a brand spanking new titanium job. ( Thankyou you taxpayers.) No woods work for a few months. That pile of logs was a PITA; near the same effort as from the stump, but it came out to almost 10 cords when split and stacked for $800. ( we know the logger). Until I figured out that I didn't have to stand on top of the pile to cut ( dumbF%$# ), it was dicey. One of the loggers got his rocks off watching me buck on top of the pile, then at last recommended that the logs could be pulled down onto the ground to buck with an ATV or come-along. What was I thinking ?:(

Hi,
Double check on the length of your logs, most beds on a triaxle is 16 feet and yours looks the same as mine. Its about 7 cords when worked up.If the logs hang over the back some 7.5 cords.
Nice looking sticks.

Here's a shot of a rig with 16' on the front and two rows of 16' on the back.

So i went out after church and measured the logs. they are between 22 and 24 foot long. i noticed that your picture shows a tandem axle truck with the log loader off the back. the guys who haul logs around here (central PA) use tri-axle trucks with loaders (mostly Prentice, since they are built one town over) near the cab. I think this is where the differences come in.

So how many cords on a tightly stacked Tri-axle load of 24ft logs?

One cord = 128 cubic feet. Just multiply length x width x height (all in feet) and divide by 128. If it measured 24 x 8 x 8 it would be 1536/128 = 12. Figure 10-11 accounting for the spaces between the logs.

The load on my signature pic is a triaxle with a pup. I average 12-14 cords of cut and slit wood on a load like that. I don't see how anyone could get much more than half of that on a single tri load.

Hi, I pay 800 dollars for about 7-8 cords of ash, I cut split and run it through my kiln and sell in the NY area for a premium, stopped tring to compete with the locals who low ball everybody with so called seasoned wood. I sell a lot less wood but make more net profit at the end of the week

So i went out after church and measured the logs. they are between 22 and 24 foot long. i noticed that your picture shows a tandem axle truck with the log loader off the back. the guys who haul logs around here (central PA) use tri-axle trucks with loaders (mostly Prentice, since they are built one town over) near the cab. I think this is where the differences come in.

So how many cords on a tightly stacked Tri-axle load of 24ft logs?

I've never seen a tri hold 24 foot long logs, Michigan spread trucks hold a wack but are only 8 feet long piled width wise.
This truck is not a tri but all the others are, I don't know how he is getting away with it.

All loaders here are Serco 9000 extended reach, even my logger with the last name of Prentice has a Serco.

if it is 24 its 1/3 more than 16 feet so if 7 is the number, 10 1/2 would be realisticly expected with your load.
When you measure it let us know.

The load on my signature pic is a triaxle with a pup. I average 12-14 cords of cut and slit wood on a load like that. I don't see how anyone could get much more than half of that on a single tri load.

I wish we had a pic of that truck sideways I'd know for sure. It does have 1 more bunk stake, but does the guy on top not look to be the same height as the bunks are?
6 foot roughly x 3 bunks.

Latest posts

Back