how many rings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

441_Stihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have read posts,that Stihls have 2 piston rings compared to 1 on Huskies.
Is this just in homeowner saws?Also how many do Dolmar have

Huskies cmome with both one and two rings, just depends on the model. Saws like the 372 came with both.

Same with Dolmar, some have two, some have only one. The one ringers seem to run a tad better than the two ring counterparts

Freakingstang said:
Huskies cmome with both one and two rings, just depends on the model. Saws like the 372 came with both.

Same with Dolmar, some have two, some have only one. The one ringers seem to run a tad better than the two ring counterparts
but are they as durable

stan_1966 said:
but are they as durable

Lot's of arguement about this in the past - try the Search function... some interesting reading.

Bottom line is that one ring will give a little more early life performance (reduced friction), but you won't get the life of 2. Trade-offs... and like it or not, not everyone will agree!

Sure aren't many saws out there with one ring any more though...:popcorn:

rings

I have heard that 2 rings get rid of the heat faster.But then if you look at them the 2 rings equal the thickness of the 1 ring.So total area of cylinder contact is almost the same!.Just blowem up and replace them!
Ed

314epw said:
I have heard that 2 rings get rid of the heat faster.But then if you look at them the 2 rings equal the thickness of the 1 ring.So total area of cylinder contact is almost the same!.Just blowem up and replace them!
Ed
But there is two more contact surfaces of rings with piston and they will drain heat from larger area...
The heat transfer is not probably the main advantage. The better compression holdup is advantage

Latest posts

Back