How many saws are in your "plan"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One saw in my plan, an 18" 60cc pro saw. Big enough for bucking, nimble enough for limbing. I did add a battery electric 18" saw for around the house stuff a couple years back, and bring it with while wood cutting. The battery saw is just backup, and if someone else wants to run a saw.

Final plan looks something like a 10-12" top handle battery electric, a ~16" 40-45cc gasser, and an 70-80cc 24-28" gasser. Low priority though, I got it done for a decade just fine with only my 60cc saw. I only do a few cords/yr.

I honestly stopped counting when I realized I didn’t really care to take the time to count them anymore. I’ve told myself “I’m done” about 50 times but, @NewToStihl keeps screwing that up, I’ve just decided not to count any more, and buy what I want. My late father told me “if a man goes to work and earns a living, has money left over, a little saved away in the bank, he should buy whatever makes him happy, even if it doesn’t make sense to anyone else.” His happened to be heavy equipment (backhoes, excavators, bulldozers), guitars, and stacked barrel shotguns. Mine happens to be chainsaws, Harleys, stacked barrel shotguns, and 1911s, I don’t care if me having shelves full of chainsaws is strange to other people, it makes me happy to own them, even though I actually run them for their intended use less than 10 hours a year. My addiction started because in high school I cut and sold firewood, dozens of cords a year with a Craftsman branded Roper. I never could make myself part with enough money to buy a Stihl that I really wanted. As I got older, started making good money, I bought my first Stihl, has been downhill since. I truly don’t know how many I own.

Mine started because I was tired of spending an hour trying to get my cheap plastic homeowner saw to crank up and cut some wood. So I asked for some junkers I could learn how they work and fix them. Next thing I know I'm selling and trading for more and more. The only saw I actually bought new is my Echo 590. I hardly ever use it though. Testing all my repaired saws more than cuts my firewood I need.

I run the typical 3-saw plan (30/50/70 ).
  • 30 (Echo CS-346)
  • 50 (Echo CS-490)
  • 70 (Poulan 245)
  • The backup (Poulan 2800)
  • The beater (Poulan PP3516 - The 1st saw I purchased, abused, yet it flat refuses to die.)
  • The one-hander (Poulan 2000)
  • The pole saw (Remington something or other)
  • The oversized, unnecessary, compensation saw (MS660)
So as you can see, the typical 3 saw plan.

I’m not sure about what I’m going to keep. I think this is it.

2100 cd 18” to 42” bars 404” chain. Ported
2101 Xp
288 Xp
385 Xp 20” to 32” bars 3/8” chain
181 se
575. 18” to 28” bars
372xp
371 xp
266 se
262 Xp
357 Xp
444sg
240s

My saw cutting did start with the 266se the smaller saws collect dust inbetween.

Currently 6. Could get by with 2 or 3, but you know...

haven’t pick one up for awhile, but always looking for the next good deal!

Keeping it simple with a Husky 455, Stihl 046 and a Stihl 661. Covers all my needs, cannot think of what else I need but that doesn't stop me from nosing around craigslist frequently to see if there are any deals out there. Both of my Stihls came this way, I could never justify the cost of buying them new.

I wish I would have jumped on the two new Dolmar 421’s with cases for 200.00 each that I saw on Kijiji about a week ago. Especially since I have been keeping an eye out for another one..I have a 420 that needs a new spur/drum. I could’ve bought a whole saw for really not much more..

anybody have a rim conversion kit cheap-ish?

I usually bring 4 saws when I go cutting.

I have probably 20?? On the shelf mostly ported 60 to 70cc saws.

I bring saws based on what kind if mood I'm in.

What I’m cutting determines who comes with. Right now I have the following:

Poulan 8500 wearing 24 or 28” bar for the big stuff

A handful of 45-54 cc saws wearing 3/8 chain and 16-20” bars for the majority of cutting.

Husqvarna 340 wearing .325 chain and 16 or 18” bar

Husqvarna 142 and 130 wearing 3/8 LP and from 12-18” bars for small stuff. Also use them for cutting dirty/gritty wood or stuff that might contain metal surprises. I’d rather trash a cheap LP chain while cutting that stuff than damage a good 3/8 chisel chain.

What I’m cutting determines who comes with. Right now I have the following:

Poulan 8500 wearing 24 or 28” bar for the big stuff

A handful of 45-54 cc saws wearing 3/8 chain and 16-20” bars for the majority of cutting.

Husqvarna 340 wearing .325 chain and 16 or 18” bar

Husqvarna 142 and 130 wearing 3/8 LP and from 12-18” bars for small stuff. Also use them for cutting dirty/gritty wood or stuff that might contain metal surprises. I’d rather trash a cheap LP chain while cutting that stuff than damage a good 3/8 chisel chain.
Yep, that's what I use the plastic poulan for, anything that might mess up a chain. I have LOTS of cheap chains for it. Good for flush cutting smaller stumps.

Back