How many saws are in your "plan"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A year and a half ago when I built the 2147 and acquired a nice 2171 I told myself that would cover everything. Truthfully it would. Anything too small for the 47 I'd use nippers, anything bigger than the 24" on the 71 I didn't want to mess with. Then I wanted something to mess with square wood at GTGs with, so the 365 came along. Then I wanted crank stuffers in a 346 so I built the weed whip. I bought out a hardware of all of their spares and carcasses and there was a complete 2139t in there. I like red saws and a top handle might be useful so now that's on board. Something with heat could be useful here in the mitten now and then so when a 357xpg fell in my lap it seemed like a good fit. Problem was, I had a 562 at the time so to keep it the 357 would need more power so off it went to East Jordan. Last year I turned a couple real nice logs into firewood and a $100 new but dusty Granberg showed up on the local CL. Kept my eyes out for a few months for the right 395 builder to find me. That's on the shelf now ready to go. I think that's seven right? Sounds like a fair number to cover everything to me. I recently finished an 034 Super that I'll keep around for a while just because I dig 1125s. I miss having a 5100/5105 around so one of those will be built before long. Maybe 10 would be a more feasible number. Wait. The guy that bought the 357 last week asked me to hop his 385 up the same way. So I did and ran it a little with him. I need one of those too. In red. Then I'll be done.

A year and a half ago when I built the 2147 and acquired a nice 2171 I told myself that would cover everything. Truthfully it would. Anything too small for the 47 I'd use nippers, anything bigger than the 24" on the 71 I didn't want to mess with. Then I wanted something to mess with square wood at GTGs with, so the 365 came along. Then I wanted crank stuffers in a 346 so I built the weed whip. I bought out a hardware of all of their spares and carcasses and there was a complete 2139t in there. I like red saws and a top handle might be useful so now that's on board. Something with heat could be useful here in the mitten now and then so when a 357xpg fell in my lap it seemed like a good fit. Problem was, I had a 562 at the time so to keep it the 357 would need more power so off it went to East Jordan. Last year I turned a couple real nice logs into firewood and a $100 new but dusty Granberg showed up on the local CL. Kept my eyes out for a few months for the right 395 builder to find me. That's on the shelf now ready to go. I think that's seven right? Sounds like a fair number to cover everything to me. I recently finished an 034 Super that I'll keep around for a while just because I dig 1125s. I miss having a 5100/5105 around so one of those will be built before long. Maybe 10 would be a more feasible number. Wait. The guy that bought the 357 last week asked me to hop his 385 up the same way. So I did and ran it a little with him. I need one of those too. In red. Then I'll be done.
1 shy of what I need appears to be the most popular number.

I had a Walmart Poulan 4218 14" bar that I loved for limbing. Echo CS501p 20" for medium stuff, Echo 620PW 24" for the bigger cuts.

I killed the Poulan, and need/want a limbing saw. Part of me loved the light weight of the Poulan, and wants to find another cheap one on FB or Clist or something. Another part of me says "you have (4) 028 Supers in various states, just use one of those with a short bar." But they're heavy...

I had a Walmart Poulan 4218 14" bar that I loved for limbing. Echo CS501p 20" for medium stuff, Echo 620PW 24" for the bigger cuts.

I killed the Poulan, and need/want a limbing saw. Part of me loved the light weight of the Poulan, and wants to find another cheap one on FB or Clist or something. Another part of me says "you have (4) 028 Supers in various states, just use one of those with a short bar." But they're heavy...
42mm 346xp FTW

Well had 7 saws , unloaded a yr old 543 xp last month . I have my 576 xp sold as soon as my freshly ported 357 xp arrives . The new 346 xp & 5105H are keepers as are my Vintage Sentimental Pioneers . So when the dust settles 5 may be the final tally , unless a pretty redhead struts by ! :surprised3: yeah a six pack would work ! :dumb2:

All of them!

Actually, I could get by with my MS 661, MS 462, Husky 372, and MS 193T.
But, in an attempt to aid to my monetary demise, I have another 35 or 40 or so running saws I could probably do just fine without:/
I could probably get by with just my 661 actually.
I don't use my other saws much since I got it unless I have to, but that would make choosing which saw to bring to the woods far too simple.

I don’t see much difference in rpm in a ported saw in the videos but when the bigger bar is on them don’t hesitate or slow down when cutting. Maybe porting raises the torque and makes the power band wider?

In the bikes I can put the power at the upper 1/3 of the power band. More narrower but awesome hit. In smaller cc engines.

Might have to add another top handle.. View attachment 827628
My first two new saw purchases were a Stihl 041 farmboss and a Stihl 015. I was advised to go after Husqvarna saws and I got my money back on the stihls. I purchased a 2100 husky and a 240 Sg professional. The rest is history.

I don’t see much difference in rpm in a ported saw in the videos but when the bigger bar is on them don’t hesitate or slow down when cutting. Maybe porting raises the torque and makes the power band wider?

In the bikes I can put the power at the upper 1/3 of the power band. More narrower but awesome hit. In smaller cc engines.
You will find the 357 xp is much like the 346 xp' s big brother . Quite the hot rod even in stock form . Once its ported it is awesome 57 cc saw However like most high rpm saws you have to keep it reving , sharp chain is a must . As for bikes or snowmobiles for that matter , the serious horsepower gain are through tuned pipes and carburation although porting is a integral part of these gains ! :blob2:

Now I can compare the saws, but I judge them by max rpm too.

346 Xp
357 Xp

Latest posts

Back