How many saws does a guy need ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't run it yet.......the muffler is getting done today.

The spikes are not the correct ones for it, they don't line up right. Or.....maybe the large clutch cover throws em off on the 044?

Also, I'm gonna add a dual port cover......
The dual spikes will line up fine on an MS660 and sometimes on an MS460 but on the 044s the hole for the roller catchers is a bit off. (about half a hole diameter). At least that's the way I've seen for all the aftermarket ones I've used

Here is my 044 with AM spikes. Everything lines up great. I have multiple inner and outer oem spikes that didn't match up.IMG_20151216_165203.jpg

The dual spikes will line up fine on an MS660 and sometimes on an MS460 but on the 044s the hole for the roller catchers is a bit off. (about half a hole diameter). At least that's the way I've seen for all the aftermarket ones I've used
the 44 and 66 and 441 have the same spikes in and out ,the 46 outer spike is off about half a hole ,inner 46 is same as 44-66 ,461 outer is its own also ,inner same as 44-46-66 saws on the 461 ,did i confuse everyone ?

Here is a good reference for dog interchange ,what will fit what

d9e59a730d95ce568f7a16decfb86f97.jpg

Sounds like I'm not the only one that has had issues lining up roller catcher holes. Seems like I may have mixed up the 044 and MS460/046. I'd have to look in the shop and see which saws have two spikes and which have 1. I've found the odd saws work ok with two as long as you don't try to use a roller catcher.

I have to reread that a couple more, but I believe that is how I heard it. That the outer 046 spikes are different.

Sounds like I'm not the only one that has had issues lining up roller catcher holes. Seems like I may have mixed up the 044 and MS460/046. I'd have to look in the shop and see which saws have two spikes and which have 1. I've found the odd saws work ok with two as long as you don't try to use a roller catcher.
Nah not the first ,But i worked with Nate on the 461 dogs when the saws just came out and we came up with a set of 4 points 461 dog measurements 002.JPG 461 take 3 001.JPG 461 dogs 041.jpg 461 dog measurements 007.JPG 461 dog measurements 006.JPG

all the saws share the same inner dog 44-46-64-66-441-461
the 44-64-660-441 saws share the same outer dog
the 46 has its own outer
the 461 has its own outer

This any easier ?

Ya I got it! I really like the reference that you posted though.

all the saws share the same inner dog 44-46-64-66-441-461
the 44-64-660-441 saws share the same outer dog
the 46 has its own outer
the 461 has its own outer

This any easier ?

Makes sense to me. I tried to get an outer bucking spike for my 046, and what I ended up with was the 461 outer....it fit the clutch cover, but the spikes were a little longer and did not line up. I'd still like to find a matching spike for the outside.

Makes sense to me. I tried to get an outer bucking spike for my 046, and what I ended up with was the 461 outer....it fit the clutch cover, but the spikes were a little longer and did not line up. I'd still like to find a matching spike for the outside.
slot the 2 bolt holes where it bolts to the cover ,and slide the 461 dog inward a bit till it lines up with the roller catcher and it will work . slot the holes opposite of this image,you will have to grind a bit of the lh rounded area around the bolts if move the 461 dog inwards .
461 dog final draft 001.JPG

I'll start a list

Felling saw
Limbing saw
Bucking saw
Milling saw
Top handle saw
Pruning saw
Firewood saw
Truck saw
Camp saw
Emergency saw
Loaner saw
Backup saw
Parts saw
Zombie saw
ISIS saw
Autotune saw
M Tronic saw
Pro saw
Home owner saw
Farm saw
J.I.C saw
Wild thing saw
Ported saw
Race saw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X2 [emoji12]

slot the 2 bolt holes where it bolts to the cover ,and slide the 461 dog inward a bit till it lines up with the roller catcher and it will work . slot the holes opposite of this image,you will have to grind a bit of the lh rounded area around the bolts if move the 461 dog inwards .
View attachment 471022

Great pic of a nice mod. Those look more like felling spikes to me?...I was looking to add a bucking spike to the clutch cover to match the inside bucking spike on my 046. I think they are somewhat smaller than what you have in the picture.

Latest posts

Back