How many sharpenings before I need to cut depth gauges

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I tried to say is,it sounds like a guy like me could cause more problems than it`s worth. I probally will not wear out a chain in a month of sundays. I was thinking it`s safer for a guy like me to just get a new chain.

4pwr said:
What I tried to say is,it sounds like a guy like me could cause more problems than it`s worth. I probally will not wear out a chain in a month of sundays. I was thinking it`s safer for a guy like me to just get a new chain.

Instead of buying a new chain, why not pay a dealer with good sharpening skills 6-7 bucks to sharpen your chains properly.

4pwr said:

If you use a proper depth gauge tool, and file the cutters properly, it isn't really hard or dangerous to make your chain stay cutting properly. Or as was suggested, get someone else who does know how to sharpen it to do it for you if you are afraid of screwing it up. With the myriad of easily used file guides and depth gauge tools, there really isn't a reason to run dull chain. If you can't do it freehand or are just learning, then get a file guide for your chain, don't pitch perfectly good chains into the garbage before they are worn out. With proper filing, you should be able to file the tooth back until there is almost nothing left and keep it cutting well.

Aha!

This is great! Now I 'get it'.

Lobo said:
Here is an excellent information booklet from Oregon that includes proper filing of rakers.

It has a lot of good information for anyone.

http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/ms_manual/ms_manual.pdf

I came home last night and heard chainsawing going on. A friend of mine a few doors down was out trimming trees so I went over to chat. A landscaper who was walking down the alley stopped by as well and we all ended up talking chainsaw issues. My friend and I got together afterwards and he had a look at my saw, chain and tools and he showed me exactly what to do and why. He's very impressed with my saw and what I've done with it so far.

He agreed that filing down the depth gauge to nothing (as my other friend recommended) is a Bad Idea. We left mine alone for the moment but did note that the depth gauges seem to be quite high (according to the depth gauge tool). Is this normal for a new chain? It seems to cut fine. I'm wondering if I'm reading it wrong.

I sharpened it up last night. Tonight I'm finishing off a stump and cutting up the large stuff I'd been putting off until I had a sharpened chain. Tomorrow I'm going over to a friend's to take down one of his trees.

TrogL said:
This is great! Now I 'get it'.

He agreed that filing down the depth Gage to nothing (as my other friend recommended) is a Bad Idea. We left mine alone for the moment but did note that the depth gage's seem to be quite high (according to the depth gag tool). Is this normal for a new chain? It seems to cut fine. I'm wondering if I'm reading it wrong.

I sharpened it up last night. Tonight I'm finishing off a stump and cutting up the large stuff I'd been putting off until I had a sharpened chain. Tomorrow I'm going over to a friend's to take down one of his trees.

Normally on a new chain if you are using the correct gage for your rakers the raker will be flush with the top of the gage or a hair over.

Filing down the rakers completely is a very foolish idea, do not do it !

Filing chain freehand is so easy...I mean round chisel and chipper....not the square stuff that you guys out west use.....it took me awhile to figure it out, but that part is easy for me now. Not saying it's perfect, just that I can sharpen a chain no problem. I think I will take eevryone's advice and get the depth gauge tool and do it right,
Thanks,
J.D.

Diesel JD said:
Filing chain freehand is so easy...I mean round chisel and chipper....not the square stuff that you guys out west use.....it took me awhile to figure it out, but that part is easy for me now. Not saying it's perfect, just that I can sharpen a chain no problem. I think I will take eevryone's advice and get the depth gauge tool and do it right,
Thanks,
J.D.

J.D. Its easy for someone who has had experience doing it after a whole bunch of frustrating time spent trying to understand it and trying bto put it in to practice. If you had a coach to show you it was easy, if you learned the hard way it not so easy and takes lots of practice to get it.

Actually there are some days I feel I still stink at it, just not happy with my results, but as we get older we all have some off days.

Latest posts

Back