How many times do you handle your wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Logs get dropped from my buddy, move with skidloader and forks and cut in rounds. Back splitter to pile. Throw splits in wagon or pallet. Stack in wagon. Let season and back wagon in garage. Haul splits in tubs to basement. Stack on rack. Throw in stove.

More if I am scrounging. Most time, roll rounds to splitter or use skidloader to make pile.

Phone call to logger buying a semi load of logs
He drops to a pile strategically placed in the vicinity of my stove
Use tractor to load logs into processor
Processor cuts, splits, up conveyor into pile
Use tractor to shove pile when it gets to high for processor
When I need wood for the boiler, I place wheelbarrow next to pile and take it to the stove door and load stove.
All in all, I have set it up where my hands physically touch the wood only when I load the stove.

3, Semi dumps rr ties end cuts, 1, use skid steer to pile up, 2, use skid to dump in basement hopper, 3, throw in stove. No cutting or splitting.

No more than I have to which is alot more than I want to... Just wish I had a penny for each time that I've had to !!!

Cut the tree down,

standard.jpg

My tractor get's it out and then holds it over my wagon to be cut to length,

standard.jpg

Then the splits are rolled right off the trailer onto the splitter beam,

standard.jpg

and the splits go right into half cord boxes,

standard.jpg

The boxes are moved to a storage area with my tractor,

standard.jpg

Once the splits are seasoned, the boxes are moved with the tractor to a basement window and the splits are dropped down into the basement, then into the woodstove...

I just move the boxes of splits to the basement window as needed, we don't stack the splits in the basement and there's plenty of room for a cord of splits down there...

SR

My dad and I have had this discussion for years. We've always talked about marking a log and actually tracking it through the process but never do. So, here is our list of steps:

For trees that we cut ourselves
1. Cut standing tree down and into "handle-able" length and move to an open area (trunk pieces are cut to size and loaded in the truck)
2. Use saw buck to cut branches down to size
3. Take pile of branch pieces and load into truck
4. Drive to yard, unload truck. Pieces that are burn size get stacked, pieces to split get stacked on a different pile
5. Wood splitter is used (everything we cut ourselves is elm) and firewood ends up in a messy pile
6. Firewood is taken from the split pile over the next few days and stacked under an overhang, where it stays for over a year
7. Firewood is now dried out, and loaded onto an open snowmobile trailer to be moved into the garage
8. Trailer is unloaded in the garage and firewood is stacked neatly
9. Firewood is loaded into wheelbarrow and taken inside to be burned
10. Firewood is loaded into wood boiler
11. Ashes are removed from boiler and placed in metal garbage can
12. Garbage can is taken outside in winter and ashes are spread

For logs that we have delivered
1. Truck is unloaded in our yard
2. Logs are rolled off of the pile and cut to length
3. As one person cuts the logs, the other piles them on pallets to keep the cutting area clear
4. Friendly logs are split with and axe, crippled ones go to the splitter, piles of firewood are left
Repeat 6 through 12 from above.

Admittedly, "handled" is open to interpretation. In some cases, it's faster to just toss the logs off of the truck and stack later than stack them immediately, this could add another step to the process. We figure that a piece of wood is usually handled about 8 or 9 times before it is burned at our house. It doesn't sound efficient, but we try to unload and split closest to where the wood will be stacked, and make the process as easy as it can be.

I handle a LOT less now that I palletize it. Move the pile 1/4 cord at a time with the tractor. Split it right into the baskets and move it with a joystick.

Latest posts

Back