How many?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

django

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just a quick question for y'all. How many saws do you take to the woods with you? I always have at least 3. One small saw to limb with, and 2 larger saws for blocking. I run one saw out of fuel, pick up the next one, run it out of fuel, then go fill them both up and touch up the chains and rest. The only reason I ask, is some of the guys I cut with only bring one saw and I seem to out cut them big time. Plus, when the get a saw stuck, they don't have another one to get it out. If I had room in the truck, I would take more.

Minimum of 2. A 50cc saw for small stuff, and a 70-80 cc saw for bigger stuff. If I've got some comparing to do, I might grab a third. I find the above combination unbeatable for firewood chores. I have yet to regularly use anything smaller than 50cc, but I might try it sometime.

I generally take 1 tophandle for light stuff, a small rear handle for bucking/small trees, the 670 for midrange to moderately large stuff, and a BIG saw of 80ccs for the HUGE stuff.

Never less than two, and generally not a monster saw. If I need the monster, then I'm not too interested in the log for firewood. Too much hassle.

No less than two; always the 026 and then its either the 360 Pro or the 361, depending on which bar length is going to be appropriate that day. However, I take along a friend to help me out of those dumb binds that my saw fails to see ahead of time. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

An 18" and a 32". Spare chains for each, tools and files for each, wedges, and shovel/fire extinguisher.

P.S. Also the all important doughnuts!

Usually just the little saw (034super w/a 20" bar) and the medium one (064 w/a 24"bar). Don't bother taking a big saw unless I know I'm getting into something big. Cut with a buddy and his dad that take a Pioneer "Farmsaw 2" and an 017. The 017 has it's place............. wouldn't miss it if it was gone though.

Last edited:
361 and 064 work well sharing 3 bars 16,20,28. The 361 never uses the 28 the 064 almost never uses the 16, but it is fun when it does. I bring along a 35-45 cc saw for clearing slash. My 7900 is usually in the mix but it's on a Canadian vacation.

I normally bring 3 - a top handle for up in the air, and two larger ones for bucking up logs on the ground...

Well due to the fact I live in the woods,just one but I have about 40 more in close proximity.Size ranges from 1.6 cu in to 7.5 cu in.
If I'm away from the hacienda,usually about 3.A baby[2 cu in],a mid size[ 4 to 5 cu in] on very rare occasions,a large saw[ over 6 cu in]
I normally use the Stihls for firewood cutting.If I really need the power I break out the old Macs and Homey but that is rare.

Latest posts

Back