How many?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When Im cutting fire wood at work on the landing I just take one with me we have 4 other ones in our shop and I really dont want to haul them all out. If I go out to take a tree down I usually will take my top handle saw my ms 440 and the 066 mag sometimes the 036 pro if the tree is big enough. Usually one or two I try to cut down on weight when I have a long treck ahead of me.

My MS260 and my 044 for the bigger stuff. A tool box for adjustments if needed. Chains, straps, bars, wedges, all the usual stuff. Sometimes I take along my Shindaiwa 350 for little stuff.

I always take 3 saws. An AV011, MS280, and MS440. 280 and 440 are both good all around firewood saws, switch back and forth depending on tree size and situation, 280 just seems easier to handle in combersome situations. And the 011, surprised nobody caries a little guy like this. I use my polaris ranger back in the woods while cutting, that little 011 works awesome for cutting the saplings and low hanging branches out of the trails. Not to mention alot safer to operate overhead than the 440, and not to many teeth to sharpen when ya run that 14"er into the dirt while cutting stuff off at ground level. But thats just what seems to work for me in my situation. Everyones is unique and therefore our choosentools may vary

Always 2

Husky 51 limb/trim/small bucking
Stihl ms310 - most bucking/falling

Stihl 041/24" if I am going to be into the bigger stuff.

Oddly, when I only had one, I stuck it on a fairly regular basis, once or twice a year. Since I started carring two I can only recall sticking one once.

On the subject of getting stuck - the greatest thing since sex was moving the sprocket to the outside - it was one b*** getting a stuck chain worked over the clutch.

Harry K

Generally three. An old 3 to 4 cube "backup" is fastened to my tractor or skidder, a good 3 to 4 cube to work the woodlot, and a big saw left at the landing for more bucking and less carrying. The spare probably gets used once every couple days, when I'm closer to it than the gas can.

usually i take 3 saws a 660 for knocking the tree down and cutting the trunk and a 260 and 270 for limbing. Also i use the 260 for smaller trees

I take 2, usually the 036 and the 046, sometimes a PM6 and a 036 if its small.

2, a PS7900 to fell, limb, and buck. And a 372 for back up if the 7900 breaks.
If I get the saw stuck.....well that's just one of the reasons I carry wedges, and an axe with me.
Oh yea, If I know I'll be in good timber I'll take my 3120 EHP.
Andy

If I ran Husky's I would need around 10 - (Just a joke - laugh!). I take two, the saw I have in my strip and a spare in the pick-up, along with a spare axe, bar, gas and oil, wedges and chains. Extra everything. But if you run good equipment your spare stuff will stay in the pick-up, unless of course something bad happened.

For firewood I bring 2. A little 2.0 top handle for limbing and a larger 4.0-5.0 for everything else. Sometimes I'll take a tree down for somebody as a favor so if I'm away from home base I bring 2 of everything.

For saws right now I'm using an olympyk 970 and a poulan S25DA but thats only until I break something :rolleyes: I have an endless supply of used saws and pretty much use the ugly ones nobody wants. Every time I get a husky or stihl all prettied up and tuned just right its gone before I can cut with it more than once.

I look at a tree and will it to fall useing my mind. Next I split it useing mind over matter. I do bring a 520I Makita and a 670 Jonsered in case my mind is haveing a bad day.

Most of the time 3. Two in the 50cc range and one in the 80cc range for trunks if its large enough.

Latest posts

Back