How much an hour???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowtechmadman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm sure I'll get flamed by the pro's for this but oh well so I'll ask the question here in the firewood section.
Neighbor (two retired ladies) own and operate a Bed and Breakfast on 160 acres. They have about 16 pines (from 14-26"dbh) that are dead and/or diseased that need to come down and cleaned up...they would like the smaller stuff chipped and left on their walking trails. All very simple drops nothing in the way etc...I was willing to do the work for just trading for hunting priveleges...unfortunately they are anti hunting. I don't want to give them a price for the total job b/c I've never done this for money...only for my own use for firewood.
They suggested an hourly rate...here is where I need the help; what would be a reasonable rate for this work? Equipment I'll use will be my saws, my old wood truck and possibly quad and trailer to get to a few of them.
I want to be fair and make this a long standing relationship w/ them i'm sure there will be a great deal of future work from rototilling/path making/woods cleanup etc... Is 30-40 bucks an hour to much? There is no timetable of how long before it needs done....don't see it as much more than a weekend possibly two of work. Little extra cash help support my CAD disease.
Thoughts???

With no climbing, I would lean towards $65-75hr. But thats me. Equipment is expensive to replace!!!
I don't even do it full time, it's fun for me, I did two hours worth of climbing this afternoon, the hauled and dispossed of the brush while I dropped. That was $300.
Saws are not cheap, then you will have to have or rent a chipper, plus have something to move it with. By the time you pay all of that, plus run it back and forth, gas etc. you might make $10-15hr.
Whats you're time and saws worth?

About 4 miles travel round trip. They have a small chipper so nothing over 3" or so will get chipped. I get 25 an hour for my normal job (production supervisor)...this is just something that is fun for me as well...plus a chance to help a neighbor and make some money for this darn chainsaw addiction.
Sounds like I may be under bidding it then. Anyone else care to chime in? Appreciate the feedback sawinredneck.

No worries, if they are supplying the equipment, and it's that close to home. Sounds like you just want to make some pocket change, go for at least what you normally make. Without the equipment costs you can go pretty low!

anti hunting????? well, after knocking the trees down--you may be able to get a good enough repore with them--they may let you hunt--then again--a bow makes no noise:) :) :)

Truck and saws are my equipment but the chipper is theirs...haven't seen it but I'm guessing a small crapsman or something.
Yes I did mention that my bow makes no noise. quote "the deer are just so beautiful for us and our guests to looks at, we couldn't fathom someone shooting one."

Yes I did mention that my bow makes no noise. quote "the deer are just so beautiful for us and our guests to looks at, we couldn't fathom someone shooting one."

But you are not going to shoot the one that they are looking at. At leaste not on purpose.

I would factor in renting a real chipper. At least a 12inch chipper. You are going earn your money with one of those little ones. Your looking at a lot of hauling with 16 pine tree that big. That is a bunch of work. Higher a high school kid to help load the blocks. Bill them the same per man hour for him as you do for you. Keep the extra and your really coming out. $30-$40 isn't bad if you have the time and like doing it.

Scott

Bowtech:
Do it the pro way--figure out a total estimate for the job. Include your time and labor, fuel costs all around , insurance, gear maintenance, and a solid cushion for a healthy but fair profit. Make it win-win. If they wish, explain to them how you arrived at the figure; a tiny chipper if they want the trails covered will not do an efficient job--rent a real one. Another cost.
No pro works by the hour since there are too many factors and some unknowns in every job. For example: diseased drops can be tricky, more time consumming than healthy trees to do them correctly.
Then shoot the deer.

Depends on if you want the gig or not and what is the "going" rate for that type work in your area. I can tell you that up here in Maine, you'd be hard pressed to get $30-$40 for that kind of work. Too many people can do it. You know, sort of like roofing and carpentry around my area. (No diss too the pros) They buy a tool belt and are instantly a roofer/carpenter! You wouldn't believe the people I see having they're house roofed in the middle of winter because someone gave them a deal:confused:

My guess is you'll be lucky to get $20 an hour out of them. If you like the work do it. If not pass on it. Whatever you do, don't shoot any deer on their property if you want the long standing relationship with them. If you were willing too trade for hunting priv. then $20 an hour is still a good deal. :cheers:

While I do not have any experience whatsoever in the work that you are contemplating, I would like to make a comment on that chipper that you are thinking about using.

DON'T.

I clear-cut my front yard in 2006 (about 6 cords of poplar, plus less than a cord of other varieties) and bought a small used 3" chipper. Used it for a few hours, barely got any branches chipped, so put it back up for sale and managed to get my money back.

Those 3" chippers are just too small and you will spend hours and hours to get just a small pile of chips. It was suggested earlier in this thread that you rent a bigger chipper and that is the way to go. Sure you will pay for renting it, but you will more than make that back in the time that you save with a bigger chipper.

HTH and good luck with your bid.

While I do not have any experience whatsoever in the work that you are contemplating, I would like to make a comment on that chipper that you are thinking about using.

DON'T.

I clear-cut my front yard in 2006 (about 6 cords of poplar, plus less than a cord of other varieties) and bought a small used 3" chipper. Used it for a few hours, barely got any branches chipped, so put it back up for sale and managed to get my money back.

Those 3" chippers are just too small and you will spend hours and hours to get just a small pile of chips. It was suggested earlier in this thread that you rent a bigger chipper and that is the way to go. Sure you will pay for renting it, but you will more than make that back in the time that you save with a bigger chipper.

HTH and good luck with your bid.

+1

bowtechmadman, you will beat yourself to DEATH trying to do that much brush with one of those tiny homeowner chippers. They're fine for a homeowner with an occasional small tree trimming, but you could spend WEEKS trying to get that much brush chipped with one.

Rent a decent one, and charge them the cost of the rental. You can do your labor hourly that way pretty easily. Make sure you charge for your time to go get and return the chipper!

Had a boss once that was on his second business. The first one failed, and friends all told him it was because he gave too much away. Too much labor, that is. He didn't make that mistake again, ran a good, friendly business, and made a ton of money. I'm not suggesting that you should rob the ladies, but make it worth your time. That's only fair.

Wow... I can tell you now, you are looking at a whole bunch of laborous work, professional chipper or not. You charge $20/hr, and I can guarantee you, you'll be back on here with phrases like "What have I done" and "I will NEVER do anything stupid like that again". Not to mention, you'll really hate your neighbors after that.

Thanks for all the replies...especially appreciate the chipper advice...gonna go over and see what they have. If it's a homeowner model I'll suggest renting a larger unit. I'd really like to find a good used one to run off my PTO on my tractor.
I understand the labor involved w/ dropping the trees etc...I cut 10-12 cord a year for my own use.
Any more recommendations on going hourly rate or bid the job at one price.
I keep leaning toward hourly since I have a feeling they will be the type that will say "can you take this one too...how about cutting a path through the woods here...etc..."
I do enjoy this type of work and proceeds will be going to my CAD disease.

I keep leaning toward hourly since I have a feeling they will be the type that will say "can you take this one too...how about cutting a path through the woods here...etc..."

Yeah, that could bite you with a fixed price quote. Only way to make that work is with people who understand the concept of a CONTRACT, and a very detailed list of work to be done. With an hourly rate, I think you're likely to have less heartburn after it's all over.

Even little old ladies understand more work = more hours = more $$, without it being explained and written out.

Let us know how it works out. My guess is you can sell them on the better chipper with some simple math. You'll get FAR more done with a rental unit than with some MTD 6.5 horse unit.

There is no doubt these ladies understand the value of a dollar. They paid 265k for the farm and immediately added 2k sq. ft addition and redid the entire inside before opening the B&B, trust me they did not scrimp on anything. I don't believe they lack for much financially. I just want to be fair and create a lasting relationship.

OK OK , first do the job. You want $30/hour.....do it.

Then, please, please : KILL THE DEER.:greenchainsaw:

Priceless.

Latest posts

Back