How much burnt so far?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much have you burnt to date?

• Well over a cord

Votes: 84 35.6%
  • Half a cord to a cord

Votes: 81 34.3%
  • less than half a cord

Votes: 64 27.1%
  • none or just the occasional fire

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters
wood only approx 5 to 5 1/2 so far, mix of white and red oak, cherry, elm. beech, a little poplar

I've been burning full time since december, and with some real cold weather in the past month I've burned somewhere between 4-5 cords of mostly maple with some birch, spruce and a bit of poplar. I have another cord still out in the yard but it's under a couple of feet of snow, so I'm hoping to avoid having to bring it in. I'm ready for spring!:msp_crying:

Ive been burning since the beginning of October, and have used about 4.5-5 cords. Some of that was cottonwood for the beginning of the heating season. 99% of our heat this year is wood. I kicked on the furnace 5 times to test or to run one cycle in the morning. I've lowered my wood consumption, and lowered the LP also. I'll be putting 75 bales of insulation in the attic soon, that should make a good difference for next year.

General rule in Northern New England is that it's a cord give or take by Thanksgiving.

Our first fire was back in August. Intermittent from then on through the end of Sept.

Probably sent about 2/3 of a cord up the chimney so far. Mostly dead and standing pine and punky wood. Just switched over to good hardwoods in the past couple weeks.

Ah yes WB, you upper crust people burning wood UF ( Up From the oil/gas furnace set at 65 F ).

P. Phil has lied once again: we're running up to cord #6. Two ( 2 ) stoves going 24/7 since November. There are 4 cords in reserve in case Msr. AlGore is wrong :msp_w00t:.

We are so green, it's disgusting.:msp_flapper:

I've been burning full time since december, and with some real cold weather in the past month I've burned somewhere between 4-5 cords of mostly maple with some birch, spruce and a bit of poplar. I have another cord still out in the yard but it's under a couple of feet of snow, so I'm hoping to avoid having to bring it in. I'm ready for spring!:msp_crying:

Assume that you burn Red/Soft Maple ? How do you like it for firewood ?

These Downeast Maine coastal woodlands grow only Red/Soft Maple; Hard/Rock/Sugar Maple grows way inland in richer, drier soils.

Assume that you burn Red/Soft Maple ? How do you like it for firewood ?

These Downeast Maine coastal woodlands grow only Red/Soft Maple; Hard/Rock/Sugar Maple grows way inland in richer, drier soils.

I have a mix of hard and soft maple but you won't hear complaints with any species of maple from me, it all burns well when compared to spruce and poplar.:msp_biggrin:

Last edited:
I have a mix of hard and soft maple but you won't hear complaints with any species of maple from me, it all burns well when compared to spruce and poplar.:msp_biggrin:

One of the WoodPile rules:
You dance with the one that brung ya ( burn what grows ).

Now: how can you differentiate Hard vs Soft Maple from bark and wood alone ? Tips ?

About 6 1/2 cords so far but some of that in the shop stove.Hopefully some of the 4 cords of seasoned left can be used next winter.
Its been a colder than normal for us winter.

coldest winter on record for Tulsa ... normally go thru 4.5 cords a season
have gone through about 4 cords and winter is not done.

after the blizzard of 2011, setting highest snow fall on record.
we've seen spring like temps 60-80 f for the last week. 100f degree temperature change in space of 2-3 days. -20 to 80f

global warming my ass!
data has always indicated world temps have been dropping.

Started burning intermittently in Sept and 24/7 in Nov. Heating the house and DHW only with wood. So far have almost gone through 5 cords. Have 1 more cord in the wood shed and another 3 ready to go out in the field. So far this winter I have been concentrating on just collecting logs and stock pileing them in the field behind the shed. The weather has not been cooperating, it has been very wet with even more rain in the next week. In April I will switch to bucking and splitting. Hope to have it all done and stacked by the end of June. Trying to get 2 years ahead but it has been a cold one this year and have burned more than anticipated.

just over a cord now since the 1st of oct. looks like 2 out of 9 rows will do if winter stays the way it is?? (5x12x16")

ok so here i set at 10:30 pm, feb. 26th 2011 with 3 full rows left an the wood box full!! looking like my pre guess of this winters take on wood might be a litte short with 2 months to go ?? must be true with the world warming up hey!????? lol knowing i will have to add more wood to the stacks for next year or add more stacked rows?? sure am going to hate fueling more wood to keep the earth cooler .........

I will remember this day for the rest of my life. First time in five years that I'm out of wood:angry:Have plenty of trees down that I took out in may but I can't get to the damn things. Have to fire up the buderus...not happy but really can't complain first time since we built the place.

Last edited:
About 1 true cord. Have geothermal but it has been out of whack this winter. Just got around to getting that fixed. Quadra-Fire insert for the wood heat.

Turn the thermo down to 50 and that's more like it. There's still oil from the 2007 delivery in the tank!

Apologies WB. Butt you still got that tiny delta between outside and room temp with a central bruner @ 50 F.
So maybe almost apology.
Damn I'm so green it's disgusting.:jawdrop:

Latest posts

Back