How much burnt so far?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much have you burnt to date?

• Well over a cord

Votes: 84 35.6%
  • Half a cord to a cord

Votes: 81 34.3%
  • less than half a cord

Votes: 64 27.1%
  • none or just the occasional fire

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters
One of the WoodPile rules:
You dance with the one that brung ya ( burn what grows ).

Now: how can you differentiate Hard vs Soft Maple from bark and wood alone ? Tips ?

My unscientific way of telling is by the weight of wood that has seasoned for the same amount of time, the hard maple is heavier.

I put my last stick in the stove yesterday morning around 5:00 AM. Sort'a got a sick feeling in my guts as I closed the door on the stove.

Outside by 6:00 AM. I had two standing-dead Red Elm picked out at the end of the grove close to the road. Tossed the saw in the back of the pickup along with a cable, couple chains and tongs. First tree (about 16" DBH) hung up in another tree and rolled a bit, pinched the bar tight... damn, I didn't bring my scrench along. I had to leave the saw hanging from the side of the tree and drive the quarter mile back for the scrench. I know better than to leave the scrench... always toss it in. I'm gonna' buy a second one and just leave it in the cab. Second tree (about 20" DBH) also hung up, but a couple yanks with the cable and both trees were up on the road shoulder. Trimmed them up and pulled them into the yard. Ended up with a bit over two-thirds cord... and not a second too soon either 'cause the wife was grabbing the first 6-8 splits that went through the old coal shoot and stuffed them in the stove. She hollered up, "cuttin' it a bit close, ain't ya'."

I'm not sure how much I've burned... been cutting and splitting almost every Saturday morning since before Thanksgiving just to keep up. But if I figure an average of a half cord per Saturday... 16 Saturdays... 8 cord burned so far. Doesn't seem like it should be that much, but...

I've burned about 5 cord and my oldest son has "borrowed" about 2 cord" so far this winter. I have about 1.5/2 cord of this years stash left - going to be cutting it close. Can't even get to next years stash as the snowbank between it and me is 6 foot tall and 25 deep at this point.

Back