How much burnt so far?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much have you burnt to date?

• Well over a cord

Votes: 84 35.6%
  • Half a cord to a cord

Votes: 81 34.3%
  • less than half a cord

Votes: 64 27.1%
  • none or just the occasional fire

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters

woodbooga

cords of mystic memory
Reaction score
General rule in Northern New England is that it's a cord give or take by Thanksgiving.

Our first fire was back in August. Intermittent from then on through the end of Sept.

Probably sent about 2/3 of a cord up the chimney so far. Mostly dead and standing pine and punky wood. Just switched over to good hardwoods in the past couple weeks.

I guess you'd also have to quantify it a bit in type of wood burned. For me a 50+ degree high and a 30s low means mostly poplar, but I'd use way less if I was burning oak or locust. So, the amount doesn't change so much as the type for me. I generally don't burn good stuff unless it's a high of 30's or less.

I have been burning full time for probably a month. Using up the junk, poplar, pine, iffy looking white birch, spruce etc.

Rock maple or a bit of elm at night. Probably close to a cord so far.

I just started mixing in some of the better wood in the past week or so. Before that it was nothing but light edge season stuff. The next haul into the garage will be nothing but hickory and hornbeam. Time to get serious.

I've run through well over a cord so far. Most of it was Quaking Aspen. If temps. are warmer I don't like to burn any dense hardwoods. It also makes for a difficult fire to control if you don't want to heat yourself out of the house. For the last week or so I've been getting into some Ash and Cherry to extend the overnight burns. I can't wait to really let the stove howl.

We have burnt a little over a cord since the beginning of October.

almost half a cord...if that.

we don't even turn our bioler on. it hasn't been on for....3 years maybe.

the house just stays warm for hours after building a fire. so, we let it die out then re-start it. PITA, but, otherwise it's like 90 in here. things change when it gets down into the single digit temps....then we run it 24/7.

About 3/4 of a cord so far. Temps are getting down into the low teens at night and around 55 in the day.

A little over a cord of Sassafrass, Cottonwood,Poplar,Box Elder and silver maple so far, but just broke into the stash of Cherry and some leftover Red Oak. I'm leaving the good stuff for Next month if I can get away with it, and will keep attacking the pile of evil,nasty, Sassafrass.

It is my goal to erradicate the Sassafrass from my little corner of the planet.
My saw vs thier 2' per min. growth rate makes me the underdog though.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

A little over a cord of Sassafrass, Cottonwood,Poplar,Box Elder and silver maple so far, but just broke into the stash of Cherry and some leftover Red Oak. I'm leaving the good stuff for Next month if I can get away with it, and will keep attacking the pile of evil,nasty, Sassafrass.

My saw vs thier 2' per min. growth rate makes me the underdog though.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Sounds like the Chinese Elm we have growing around here. You could cut those trees flush to the ground and they will still grow!

My father-in-law calls Sassafras "company wood" - the stuff you burn in the fireplace when you have company over because the flame is a little more colorful and it sparks and pops enough to remind everyone there's a fire to enjoy. :dunno:

Back