How much dirt can I add above tree roots?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaJohn

Reaction score
I know that adding dirt can kill a tree, but I'm just wondering how much a tree can tolerate. I have a wooded, slightly marshy area where many tree roots are protruding above the surrounding ground. Most of these are maples but a few poplars as well. Can I safely add 3-4 inches of dirt? I'd like to level this area a little so I can plant a lawn.
Thanks

Look to see if you can remove (thin out) some less desirable trees to allow some sun in to dry it up (your lawn will need sunshine too) or at least thin some limbs.
dirt- are these old or young trees? sounds like they may be drownded and are comming up for air. Pics help a lot.
I know you can add some dirt, a little at a time over a few years. But I've also seen large trees buried under 2-3ft of fill and live for decades, while sprinkling a bag of topsoil on the roots of others kill them stone dead.
-Ralph

The city expanded the cemetary here by adding around eight feet, yes eight feet of dirt in an area with second growth Ponderosa Pines, Approx.10 acres. These trees ranged in size and age from approx. 36"dbh to 6-7" dbh. I'd say from 130 to 20 years old. Out of all of em', around 100 trees, ONE died. It was close to 36" on the original butt. I fell it for them. They dug down and around so as to not have to worry with the buried tree remains when planting somebody there later-on. It was an interesting day. I've felled trees in several feet of snow, working in a "tree well". This was a little more intense. If something had happend I made them promise to bury me right there! Honestly I did, in a casket of course.

before he adds dirt he may want to find out if his area is considered wet lands. I dont know the legalities in Pa. but being from N.Y. originally our wet land laws were extreme.
You may also want to lay wood chips down (if possible) to obsorb the additional moisture and give back to the soil and eventually it will break down into soil. This is also great for keeping unwanted weeds which will eventually produce great turf.
Its a lengthy process but far cheaper and enviroment friendly.

oh yeah and if you're not in the tree business and go with the wood chip idea call a few tree companies to see if they'll give you the chips. Most of the time companies will give it away (try smaller companies first because they may not have as many dumping areas). If you're lucky they'll be able to bring it to the area you want to spead it other wise you may have to wheelborrow it. Think of it as excellent excerscise.

Thanks guys.

No, it's not wetlands (no skunk cabbage :) ), but there is a small creek nearby. These are older trees, about 12-24" in diameter. Perhaps I shouldn't have said the roots are above ground, it's just that there is a very pronounced crown at the base of the trunks. I will be taking out some of the smaller saplings. I'll try to take pics if it ever stops raining.

You have it easy then! remove the small stuff you don't want, and mulch the stuff you keep, plant grass everywhere else.
-Ralph

Mulch is easier to add, but will break down over time and more will be needed later. You can usually add 4"-6" of mulch without too much compaction. 4"-6" of dirt will not 'breathe' as well and the weight will compact the soil beneath, reducing the oxygen available for the tree roots.

When Maples and Poplars are in compitition with a lawn the trees will win every time.I do not recommend you planting lawn under these trees,you will have roots coming up thru the lawn and that will cause problems mowing,the lawn will not thrive well under such trees.

When Maples and Poplars are in compitition with a lawn the trees will win every time.I do not recommend you planting lawn under these trees,you will have roots coming up thru the lawn and that will cause problems mowing,the lawn will not thrive well under such trees.

I agree with most of the above advice, but would add that if the land is marshy why not plant a groundcver that is more moisture-tolerant than turfgrass? A lawn can be made of other plants; ask your county extension agent what will work for you.

Mulch. Raised beds in graceful shapes add feature and value to any landscape. Root Zone protection can enable a tree to reach maturity remaining an asset. Lawn Mowing is an easily reducable source for dependance on foreign oil and pollution. Mulch for aesthetics. Mulch for conservation. Mulch for tommorrow. I have a dream...

jp hallman said:
The city expanded the cemetary here by adding around eight feet, yes eight feet of dirt in an area with second growth Ponderosa Pines, Approx.10 acres. These trees ranged in size and age from approx. 36"dbh to 6-7" dbh. I'd say from 130 to 20 years old. Out of all of em', around 100 trees, ONE died. It was close to 36" on the original butt. I fell it for them. They dug down and around so as to not have to worry with the buried tree remains when planting somebody there later-on. It was an interesting day. I've felled trees in several feet of snow, working in a "tree well". This was a little more intense. If something had happend I made them promise to bury me right there! Honestly I did, in a casket of course.
You not buried there nobody and probably not seen the soil there, probably was dry and sandy where ponderosa roots are mostly going into depth anyway and the added dird was sand too. So, not very curious why all the trees were not died immediately. But Im sure that the problems can reveal after some 10 years and at least some amount from trees will die "slowly".

I called thtem chips but mulch is still in my opinion the best way to go . My husband and i cleared several areas in our former home in N.Y. where atlantis and honey suckle were taking over an area of our property. We had several macintosh and maples that we wanted to preserve and also utilize the area being cleared. We chipped into the area and he also brought 8 truck loads of chip. While he worked that spring i would go out and spread the mulch. the first year not a single thing grew except for a few mushrooms. the following year i took a pitchfork and turned over the mulch (which was the most beautiful black dirt i'd ever seen rich with night crawlers and other critters) ,anyway back to what i was saying i finished turning over the area and planted grass seed. The last year we were in this home we were planned to be married and in the spring i went to that area and planted several varieties of perennials and annuals. Installed and archway and we were married under the canopy of those magnificent maples and apples. sorry for getting off the subject but you can produce excellent dirt from chip/mulch it just is'nt going to be over night gratification. Personally i enjoyed the end result it was swet,dirt and several broken nails that made that grass grow.

Latest posts

Back