how much do some of you cut per year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT.S FIREWOOD S

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have t.200 ms.440 ms.460 ms.660 tw.6 f.250.power.stroke 7/12.dump brimar Ihave cut 70 128cu.ft. cords this summer and still cuting I dont mean you guys with prossors:givebeer:

You are doing very well!

I am very modest in comparison. I cut about 40 CD's year.

260, 440, 460. 74 Dodge PW with a dump kit on flat bed.

I have a buddy who is a little more serious.... :rockn:

I cut around 40-50 cords. I would like to cut more but don't have the time. I do tree removal when I have the time. That pays better then firewood. Also having a full time job and being a single dad with custody really bites into the time. I also buy about 15 cords a year to resell.

Scott

cords

Last year I did about maybe 10 cords.This year I want to do 15 cords at 7 or 8 now.I would like to how you guys that do 40 to 60 how you do it:jawdrop: ?It mostly just me cutting ,bucking up and splitting and stacking.My hat is off to you guys.Let know.Thanks.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

.I would like to how you guys that do 40 to 60 how you do it:jawdrop: ?It mostly just me cutting ,bucking up and splitting and stacking.My hat is off to you guys.Let know.Thanks.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

You loose a lot of time stacking it. Also if you are using a hydraulic splitter you loose a lot of time compared to a super splitter. I usually get a decent amount of time off work so that helps. I also don;t really like to mess with really big wood. If i can help it I'll stay in the 12-18inch range. You can go a lot faster with that wood. Also you don't wear out as quick when you are trying to move the big pieces. I also load my trailer with the skidsteer if I have a large amount of wood to cut. It''s a lot easier to load the bucket then it is to throw it over the side of the truck. It used to take 2 hrs to load the truck to go sell wood. Now I have a grapple bucket with a slotted bottom to load with. Now it will take 15-20 minutes. I'm always trying to find a way to speed things up. I'm trying to get an old corn elevator going. Then I won't have to throw the wood up on the pile while splitting it. I have to get a belt then it's ready. Right now I'm working on another splitter to knock the big pieces in quarters so I can then split them with the super splitter. I almost aways split the wood off the trailer. I love the dump trailer for this. Leave the back gate on and dump it up. You don't have to move the wood slides right back to you. This saves a lot of time and the wood is waist high so then bending and stooping isn't there.

Scott

I do all my firewood myself, and do between 20 to 30 cords per year. I do most of my cutting with a MS260 PRO, and a MS361, I hope to have a MS460 soon. I use about 10 -12 cords myself and sell the rest, I am like you guys as I would like to do more but time won't allow it.
Tom

It takes dedication.

I set a goal of 1 cord per week. More if time allows. This will put me at 52 cords per year. Larger truck with dump helps bunches! I can toss blocks in there and end up with 1 1/4 cords without stacking them.

The blocks are simply dumped off into a pile. My splitter with a 3 way wedge kicks 'em quick enough. I don't stack anything!

I have a conveyor that I have not used yet, but it should make loading easier.
The larger trees are slower, but more "fun". I have a twisted idea of "fun".

The harsh reality is that I don't always get out every week like I should.
Plus there are times that I don't quite fill the truck (slacker load).

-Pat

Fire Wood Rules

I cut a modest 8 or so pickup truck loads during the winter and split in on the spot. In spring I haul it in and stack it; all for my personal home use. I also usually mill up a red pine or two for boards. Got my eye on a nice big one for this winter altho it's way down in the woods and across a creek so I'll have to haul everything in and out by hand. Then I also collect downed branches and sticks for my summer water heater. Wish I had a wood burning car that ran on duff, twigs, and rakings.

Well this may not count since I sell it in 16' lengths, but right now I have about 100 cords of firewood logs to haul to the wood lot, and about 40,000 bd. ft. of saw logs to haul to the mill. I've hauled about 60 cords to the wood lot so far this year. I'm getting further behind every day.

Andy

I cut, haul and split about 8 face cords last year, I hope to triple that this year. I just got into wood stoves for heat last year, so I'm playing catch up. I do it with a lil Echo 345, MS290 and Makita 6401. I'm looking to get a used splitter to help, either that or stick to the 12-18" diameter trees. Several ash trees are on the hit list that are that size, so that should build up the pile.

Some years I cut 10-12 cords, some years I cut maybe a cord. This year I only cut a cord but did alot of blocking blowdown for other people. (Friends, so just a few beers payment) :cheers:

So far this year I have 11-12 full cords out back and another 12-18 at my buddies house. His cuts and splits faster as he likes his left very big 36" long and 12-20 inches across. Mine is regular firewood size. Keeping up with the tree service has become our new mission and we are doing fairly well.

This year will be probably around 8 cords, some for home woodburner, some for the campfire, some for others, and the rest, deadfalls, and trail clearing.

lol I am only at 4 cords myself after grenading yet another Kubota Diesel my buddy " has my back" so to speak... I think he is right at about 60 cords and putting 4-5 cords a day in the pile

I just have to ask, what is "grenading" in the engines? I've always thought them to be decent engine with good life.

Depends

Last year and the year before I cut 40+ Face cord. This year I'll prolly only cut around 20 or so. I help my cousin cut pine logs for his sawmill quite a bit also and a bunch of dead oak, birch, beech and maple. None of it is mine, I just do it for exercise and cause I like spending time with my old cousin in the woods, he's a riot... I'll prolly get around 10 or so f/c to give away to some needy people also... :popcorn:

me being a moron and when I had the IP done the guy asked me if I wanted the pump tweaked for an extra 3-4hp... me being a hp junkie said yes, I put that motor under a load and boy did she blow the black smoke and then the knocking was heard after about 6-7 "smoke shows" lol poor little 21hp diesel never was meant to make 30+ hp.... the first one cracked a block when Iforgot to change out the water to antifreze

looking at a 48hp CAT turbo Diesel for the next motor

Back