How much wood do you burn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I say holes I mean factory drilled holes to achieve secondary burn.

If I remember correctly the baffles used to not have them and now they do

ac3c130559e72259e9c7b6ead9291838.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh ok, yes it does have factory holes like in your pictures. Seems to burn pretty clean. Was going to post a better picture of it but I guess I deleted them. Sure like the glass door.

London UK so generally mild winters with a few dips below freezing. 1930s brick house, about 1300 sqft I think. 2 small stoves in a largely open plan ground floor will keep it about 22C there and 19C in the bedrooms above. Gas boiler on the thermostat does the morning warmth, 2 cords does the evenings and weekends. My gas usage last year was half the pre stove days and still cook and heat water with gas. Pleased with that.
That’s sounds pretty good Neil, fun cutting wood, nice to have the added bonus of saving on the gas bill.
So sorry to hear about your Dad, you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

5 cord +/- in my indoor natural draft gasification boiler with storage.

Put a couple mini-splits in a month ago, hoping to knock a cord or two off that.

Somewhere between 5-10 cords is what I think. I'll be a little more detailed this year but there are factors that make a difference for me. This year I started the first week of Oct where normally I haven't started until the end of Oct. My heat is set at 74 where most times I keep it at 72. Plus the first month I burnt standing dead elm. It tends to get a tich soft so you don't get the BTU's out of it like if it was live cut. Right now I am at about 1.25 cords per month. Will pick up if it ever gets cold here. That will add probably an extra half a cord. However I am not into the sugar maple or oak yet so that will ease some of it I am guessing.

Just out of curiousity. How much wood do you burn in a season? What type of wood burning appliance do you use? Is it your only source of heat? How large of a house are you heating?

I ask because I have an old Thermo Control that throws a lot of heat, but also burns a lot of wood. Even with long 10-12 hour burns with red coals left, I typically go through about a third of a cord a week. In a heating season I usually burn around 7 full cords. Everyone that asks how much wood I burn can't believe it. My wife enjoys the house warm, usually around 75 degrees on the main living floor (woodstove is in basement). Second floor bedrooms are usually 66-70 degrees depending on outside temps. I enjoy the wood heat and don't mind the work. My house was built in 1993 and has decent insulation with decent windows. The upstairs was finished about 7 years ago with open cell spray foam in the walls and rafter bays.

Admittingly, it is a lot of wood. Just curious what most other wood enthusiasts go through.

Thanks
Abut 1.5-2 cords per season. But I’m in Virginia, winter is pretty much one shoulder season leading to the other.

Back