How much wood do you burn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbuildalot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just out of curiousity. How much wood do you burn in a season? What type of wood burning appliance do you use? Is it your only source of heat? How large of a house are you heating?

I ask because I have an old Thermo Control that throws a lot of heat, but also burns a lot of wood. Even with long 10-12 hour burns with red coals left, I typically go through about a third of a cord a week. In a heating season I usually burn around 7 full cords. Everyone that asks how much wood I burn can't believe it. My wife enjoys the house warm, usually around 75 degrees on the main living floor (woodstove is in basement). Second floor bedrooms are usually 66-70 degrees depending on outside temps. I enjoy the wood heat and don't mind the work. My house was built in 1993 and has decent insulation with decent windows. The upstairs was finished about 7 years ago with open cell spray foam in the walls and rafter bays.

Admittingly, it is a lot of wood. Just curious what most other wood enthusiasts go through.

Thanks

You didn’t say how big your house was^^^

I have a raised ranch style house built in the late 60’s. It has two additions that were done 15 years ago. 2,000 square feet exactly, I measured.

I live in Michigan.

New wood stove this year is a pacific energy summit. I Will probably burn for 6 months total. Based on how much would I’ve used I am assuming I will go through about one cord a month. Your not to far off on wood usage think.

It is intended to be our main heat source but if it’s very cold out the furnace may start kicking on bye afternoon just as I get home from work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

House is a 24x36 cape style.

The stove is in my basement, so I am heating three floors, basement is about 864 sq. ft. 1st floor is about 864 sq. ft. and the second floor is about 720 sq. ft. So total almost 2500 sq. ft being heated.

Just out of curiousity. How much wood do you burn in a season? What type of wood burning appliance do you use? Is it your only source of heat? How large of a house are you heating?

I ask because I have an old Thermo Control that throws a lot of heat, but also burns a lot of wood. Even with long 10-12 hour burns with red coals left, I typically go through about a third of a cord a week. In a heating season I usually burn around 7 full cords. Everyone that asks how much wood I burn can't believe it. My wife enjoys the house warm, usually around 75 degrees on the main living floor (woodstove is in basement). Second floor bedrooms are usually 66-70 degrees depending on outside temps. I enjoy the wood heat and don't mind the work. My house was built in 1993 and has decent insulation with decent windows. The upstairs was finished about 7 years ago with open cell spray foam in the walls and rafter bays.

Admittingly, it is a lot of wood. Just curious what most other wood enthusiasts go through.

Thanks

I burn about 5 full cords in a Lopi Patriot. It's a smaller stove but seems to heat well. Not the only source of heat, but it is the primary as I only get 150 gallons of fuel oil delivered every other year. The house is just under 1400 square foot ranch, built In 1971 and is fairly well insulated. The omlo negative is the stove is located on the far end of the house and would be better if more centrally located. I would like a larger stove for longer burn times and so I don't have to cut my wood so darn small. It the current stove only has a wood box of 1.3 cubic feet. Length wise I can go about 16 inch wood by about 12 inches wide and the door is maybe 12 inches tall, maybe less. I don't keep the house that warm. I like it around 68 and the thermostat on the oil furnace is set to 62. The side of the house the stove is on is 85-90, bedrooms on the other side of the house more like 65-70. South east Michigan native

House is a 24x36 cape style.

The stove is in my basement, so I am heating three floors, basement is about 864 sq. ft. 1st floor is about 864 sq. ft. and the second floor is about 720 sq. ft. So total almost 2500 sq. ft being heated.

I think your wood usage is good. I know a guy that lives in an old farm house here with very poor insulation. About a 2300 square foot 3 story house.

He uses 20 cords a year.

Be thankful [emoji23]

I think your wood usage is good. I know a guy that lives in an old farm house here with very poor insulation. About a 2300 square foot 3 story house.

He uses 20 cords a year.

Be thankful [emoji23]

With a stove???:crazy2:
I hope that is with an outside boiler but even still:wtf:

I burn probly 4 to 5 full cord a year. House is about 1600 square feet.
Wife likes it worm. Most times it in the high 70s to low 80s
Little basement is about 400 square feet. Little cooler about 65. Two bedrooms down ther we put heaters on at night to warm up.

Burn mostly ash oak and hickory.
Stove is rated for 1800 square ft.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk
Wood is only source of heat other then two basement rooms. Natural gas not even hooked up.

I burn probly 4 to 5 full cord a year. House is about 1600 square feet.
Wife likes it worm. Most times it in the high 70s to low 80s
Little basement is about 400 square feet. Little cooler about 65. Two bedrooms down ther we put heaters on at night to warm up.

Burn mostly ash oak and hickory.
Stove is rated for 1800 square ft.

Wood is only source of heat other then two basement rooms. Natural gas not even hooked up.
Thats a nice easy number to maintain. 4 cords. Sounds good to the ear.

Man i wish i had a smaller house. My wife HAD to have 2,000 square feet for the 3 of us, LOL. I want 1200[emoji23].

Thats a nice easy number to maintain. 4 cords. Sounds good to the ear.

Man i wish i had a smaller house. My wife HAD to have 2,000 square feet for the 3 of us, LOL. I want 1200[emoji23].

If i could figure a way to get heat to the basement, i would be heating about 2000 sq ft. Wood stoves at the other end. Also have one bed room in old part of house that the door is normally closed so dont really heat that room.

I wish I only burnt 6-8 cords a winter :laugh:. I'm at 22-24 full cords a winter in Northern Michigan. My boiler forced air heats a 4100sqft house, in floor 3600sqft shop full time, and dhw. So for the volume being heated in my climate for 6 months, I don't think it's bad at all. If I ran the natural gas, I'd be $800-1000 a month to be equally cozy.

2600 sqft

Main heat source is a hearthstone heritage stove.

Secondary is a jotul Rockland insert.

Third is a forced air furnace. I'd have to knock the dust off it.

About 7 full cords give or take. Temps range between 68 and 72.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last winter only used one cord because we did not have winter. On long winters go through about two and a half. I built the house forty years ago and is super efficient. There is no other heat source and I sometimes leave the door open. Yeah just the way I am. Since I sell wood I have plenty to burn. Try to keep one thousand SF house close to seventy. Thanks

2400 sq ft or so - I have 4 levels - bsmt, main, upper, and attic. No insulation in the walls. 100 year old house.
Boiler heat with radiators in every room. I use it as little as possible, but it gets cold enough in November to keep it going all winter.
St. Louis area.
Blaze King Princess. 4 cords.

3 cords, about 1400sq ft in Alaska. Blaze Priness. Heating season is about 8 months, late September to early May, though have had fires in June and August some years.

Shop... about a cord of poplar every 2 weeks. ~5000 sq ft.
Homebuilt stove, section of pipeline, about 3.75ftx6.5ft long, 3/8" thick. ~2ftx2ft door.

First year I lived in the house I just had the natural gas boiler. Spent almost $2k that year in gas.

The next year put the stove in, gas bill went to around $450/year (water heater, kitchen stove, dryer, and garage heat). The gas company showed up unannounced and put a new meter. I happened to notice because the orginal one (which was fine) was painted to match my house and the new one was grey.
Called them up and they tried to chastise me for not letting them know about the stove, and actually tried to charge me for the new meter install. I flew off the handle there!

2200 SF 180 year old two story farmhouse with some insulation. I burn 5-6 cords in an Englander 30-NC stove which covers about 80% of my heating needs. Before I got the epa stove I had an old VC Defiant which ate 8-9 cords.

2200 SF 180 year old two story farmhouse with some insulation. I burn 5-6 cords in an Englander 30-NC stove which covers about 80% of my heating needs. Before I got the epa stove I had an old VC Defiant which ate 8-9 cords.

Im impressed that the epa stove saved you about 3 full cords a year. Thats really cool.

Does the epa stove keep your house warmer as well? or do you keep the heat level about the same, you just happened to use less wood?

Latest posts

Back