How much do you charge for a cord of wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrebug

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Since there is so many folks with a chainsaw selling wood on this forum, i'd like to get a feel what a cord is worth nowadays.

I live in the city and get a face cord split and deliver for $95 each. Lenght is 12". It seems the price goes up $5 every year.

Up here in Northern Ky it goes for 75-110 dollars a face cord. Farther south it ranges from 45-75 dollars a face cord. I get 85 a face cord delivered for 10 extra within a certain distance. That's delivered, not stacked. My wood is about 18 inches.

Most places around here last year were $165-185. This year it seems it's jumped to $200 for a full chord.

Scary thing is with propane prices the way they are this year, you're still saving a lot of money over propane by purchasing wood

Around me everyone and there brother is selling pickup truck loads of 16" green oak wood split for $50-$60 a truck load delivered within 10 miles, farther away is extra. I figure a heaping 8 ft pickup bed of just thrown in wood will be around a 1/2 cord. So about $120 a cord on the high end. Honestly I don't think anyone around here sells dry seasoned wood.

I live in the city and get a face cord split and deliver for $95 each. Lenght is 12". It seems the price goes up $5 every year.

As has been explained on this Forum numerous times over the years, a CORD OR SOME NUMERIC FRACTION THEREOF is the only legitimate (and in many states legal) way to sell wood.

In this case Fyrebug is buying a bogus termed "face cord" for $95.00. Since a cord is 4'x4'x8' he is only getting 1/4 cord of wood vs. the 1/3 cord that stihl in ky delivers with his "face cord" with 18" logs. A simple illustration that shows how the use of non dimensional terms can result in people being ripped off.

While I know nothing of wood prices in Canada, I do know they have lots and lots of trees. With Fyrebug paying $380 per cord, I think I can safely say he is paying well above the market rate per cord in his area.

Deal only in the standard cord measurement or a fraction thereof and you will prevent this from happening.

Last edited:
210 a full cord [racked for volume before tossin it into trlr ] free deliv to 10 miles ,cut to custs length request , add 2-3 new custs each year ,and i dont advertise [happy custs do that for me] jk price has gone up about $10 a year for the last 4 yrs

Arizona

Here in Arizona I get 325 a cord of oak with juniper kindling split delivered and stacked

1.5 cord - $525
1 cord - $375
.5 cord - $210
.25 cord - $135

Don't like to leave the yard with less than 1 cord on board and rarely do. I have no problem with guys selling online for much less. They come
and go and more often than not people get ripped off.

I get $140.00/rick, (a "rick" is another name for a "face cord"). I charge $35.00 to deliver and stack each rick. will not deliver much over 20 miles (one way). So, if delivered, my price is $175/rick.
Jeff

I get $140.00/rick, (a "rick" is another name for a "face cord"). I charge $35.00 to deliver and stack each rick. will not deliver much over 20 miles (one way). So, if delivered, my price is $175/rick.
Jeff

A "rick" is not a recognized unit and does not answer the OP's original question as to what you charge for a cord. We need your price for 128 cubic feet of wood, not some indeterminate portion of that amount.

A (rick) was a well recognized term where i grew up in Ohio,goes back to the Steamboat era.

Actually, the only recognized unit of firewood in Ohio is the cord. Since a rick is "a well recognized term", perhaps you could you enlighten me as to how many square feet of wood it contains? The problem with your unit of measurement is that it only contains two dimensions (length x height) while we live in a three dimensional world. Without the third dimension you are dealing with an indeterminate quantity.

Last edited:
As has been explained on this Forum numerous times over the years, a CORD OR SOME NUMERIC FRACTION THEREOF is the only legitimate (and in many states legal) way to sell wood.

In this case Freybug is buying a bogus termed "face cord" for $95.00. Since a cord is 4'x4'x8' he is only getting 1/4 cord of wood vs. the 1/3 cord that stihl in ky delivers with his "face cord" with 18" logs. A simple illustration that shows how the use of non dimensional terms can result in people being ripped off.

While I know nothing of wood prices in Maine, I do know they have lots and lots of trees. With Freybug paying $380 per cord, I think I can safely say he is paying well above the market rate per cord in his area.

Deal only in the standard cord measurement or a fraction thereof and you will prevent this from happening.

While Freyeburg is, in fact, in Maine - this guy's screen name is actually Fyrebug (fire bug) and his location states that he's in Canada.

BTW, You're correct about firewood selling in Maine. Under Maine law, firewood must be sold in one of three allowable units: standard cord, cubic foot, or loose thrown cord.

Source:

Maine Department of Agriculture: Welcome

Back