How much do you spilt with an AXE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2-3 cord w/ the X27
Burr oak, red oak, ash, tulip, honey locust, maple varieties

Am thinking of getting a Fiskar's 8 lb maul for the 5 % of stuff that the X27 has trouble with.

I have the fiskars 8lb maul and it is OK. I would not buy it again. It definitely does the job but i think im going to start using a wedge for the big stuff.

I dont like the shape of the maul. It needs to be more aggressive with the “wedge” shape than it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I split about 10 cords a year with my fiskars super splitter and an 8# fiskars maul. I have other hand splitting tools and a 22t huskee hydraulic that is on loan to my dad. I’ve got around 18 cords split now and I burn a little under 6 a year. With three years worth on hand I can probably start slacking a little.

2-3 cord w/ the X27
Burr oak, red oak, ash, tulip, honey locust, maple varieties

Am thinking of getting a Fiskar's 8 lb maul for the 5 % of stuff that the X27 has trouble with.

From 6 years of hand splitting I can pretty much tell if the wood is going to split with an axe or a wedge. The x27 is a decent axe and the stuff it wont split is usually twisted or knotty. I would buy a fiskars maul but it doesn't make sence because if it wont split with a x27 then it needs a wedge or a saw cut and a wedge to "pop" it.

I went from an 8lb sledge to a 10lb sledge and it's a work out. Well the wife thought it looked easy. She found out swinging a 10lb sledge and splitting with a wedge is not easy at all. That being said I'd rather swing a x27 than a isocore maul for an hour.

I split it ALL by hand with an axe, no maul (don't care for them). Within the past two years I've split roughly 9-10 cords using only this bad boy:

gCGApAG.jpg

Hey Clarence, how's the overstrike guard holding up? it looks smart.

Remarkably well, probably 3 cords with since I put it on. Thr real test will be when it gets bitterly cold, which is when I prefer to split. We'll see if the Kydex holds up to being brittle or not during very cold temperatures. Other than that, it's extremely stout, it's 3mm thick. I don't think it'll be much help to the wood underneath from repeated direct strikes, but the main intention is to protect the wood from the scraping that happens when the bit passes through the log but the fibers still hold on. A fairly common scenario for me, but the collar pretty much takes that worry away.

none, axe splitting is for the young & strong, us older guys use splitters

Yes I agree while I'm still young and trying to stay in some sort of shape I will split with an axe when it's to much I will buy a splitter. Unless I ever get natural gas out here I will burn wood to heat.

none, axe splitting is for the young & strong, us older guys use splitters

I'm not old, but I certainly am not young. Anytime I've used a hydro splitter I seem to do extra lifting, which just kills my mid and lower back. When I split with an axe, I split in a pile or on the ground topside end grain, or along the grain lengthwise, depending on how they lay. Very minimal handling. Most of the handling is stacking the splits instead of also moving logs into position to split. I handle the logs once -- throw them into a pile. On the other hand, if my shoulders ever start to go, then I'll really be in trouble for axe swinging... or anything swinging/heavy lifting.

Would I use a power splitter if I had one? - Probably, yes. But I don't have one, and it's one less machine that I have to maintain.

about 5 with the fiskar maul and splitting ax. mostly red and white oak but I'll burn about anything, if its free. I must say, I look forward to getting a splitter someday next year. I enjoy splitting by hand but some days I wish I could just push a lever or a button or something.

Here she is doing it barefoot.

I apologize, need to clarify my comments. An axe for hybrid, like a Fiskas will work fine for splitting that wood. Most of wood I split is never split that small (using it to feed an OWB). Those pieces I would only strike once or just pitch them in. I can understand why many would want it split smaller for indoor stoves, campfires or where smaller splits are needed. Mostly splitting oak wilt red oak. IMG_8200.JPG IMG_8199.JPG IMG_8198.JPG IMG_8197.JPG

Memorizing watching her split wood. I split 4 to 5 cords a year with x27. Have had the x27 for maybe 6 years, would never go back to mauls. Couple years ago picked up the 8lb isocore, hardly ever use it.

Latest posts

Back