How much for these oak logs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It all depends on your planned use (firewood or saw logs) and how much wood goes for (in firewood form).

If it were me, and I were going to use the oak for firewood, I would offer no more than half of the sale price of firewood. The hardest part of the job is yet to come (load, buck, split, stack).

I would be sure though, to buy those logs by the cord, not his estimate or price for the "pile".

If I were you I would look at buying from this guy.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/for/1106101557.html

$80.00 per cord seasoned cut/split/delivered. Can't see how the time and effort involved with log length could be worth less than 80 bucks a cord.

That's Joe. I bought 2 cord from him early dec. before I started cutting wood. At that time it was $90 a cord. Good wood too. If I didn't have 3 chainsaws, a splitter, 4x4 truck, and 16' trailer, I would be calling him and ordering 6 cord for this coming winter.

Don't get me wrong, I like making firewood.

For $80 a cord? Why would you do any cutting of your own? Round here it's at least $120 a cord. If there's much of a drive involved you won't come out too far ahead making it yourself.

For $80 a cord? Why would you do any cutting of your own? Round here it's at least $120 a cord. If there's much of a drive involved you won't come out too far ahead making it yourself.

He is ultra low for pricing around here too. Most people are selling 100-150 a cord here. 100 being really low.

Dunno, why we cut wood and split it. I do it because I enjoy the outdoors, running my gas snorting saws, smelling the fresh air, sawdust flying, and birds chirping...It's good exercise also. Which I have a heart problem so working makes it stronger and has made me healthier than I have been in yrs.

It'll take 30 logs @12"dia to make a cord, and he's saying there are 100 logs of varying dia., and 8'6"length, so 3cords at best, probably less.

It looks like all white oak, easy pile to work, and comfortable rounds to stack on your truck and trailer to do it in one or two trips, $100 would be alright, depending how far the drive is, and provided you can get your rig up close to the pile.

Now, if I could get oak firewood split/deliverd for $80/cord, I'd hang up my saws, upgrade to a Yukon, and spend time in other pursuits.

here in NH seasoned oak sells for 250 acord . 80$ are you kidding me why do it your self
MD

here in NH seasoned oak sells for 250 acord . 80$ are you kidding me why do it your self
MD

I agree 100% ! I usually make a little more than I need and sell a couple cord a year for saw/equipment/beer money. This year I sold 4 cord @ $300/cord with no troubles...... I was cheaper than most. $80/cord is a wet dream ! Next thing you guys are gonna tell me is HHO is .59/gal. out there.:dizzy:

It'll take 30 logs @12"dia to make a cord, and he's saying there are 100 logs of varying dia., and 8'6"length, so 3cords at best, probably less.

It looks like all white oak, easy pile to work, and comfortable rounds to stack on your truck and trailer to do it in one or two trips, $100 would be alright, depending how far the drive is, and provided you can get your rig up close to the pile.

Now, if I could get oak firewood split/deliverd for $80/cord, I'd hang up my saws, upgrade to a Yukon, and spend time in other pursuits.
The pics provided in that first CL listing shows way more than 3 cords of oak logs.

Maybe I'm naive, but I wouldn't think there would be much wood to be had out of milling an 8" to 12" tree.

Maybe I'm naive, but I wouldn't think there would be much wood to be had out of milling an 8" to 12" tree.

Not only that, but no mill around here will take logs that were cut 2-3 months ago.He might find someone who has a portable mill willing to mill the boards for him,but as far as worthwhile to buy, I bet they are going to end up as firewood.Too much good timber waiting to be milled to bother with the small stuff.
I know our mills around here would reject 90 percent of that stuff,even if it was fresh cut.
Give him a couple of months,bet he will be willing to let it go as firewood,but he may be expecting big $$ for it.

Back