How much insurance do I need for just stump grinding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haulinwood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Pretty new to the forum, so please be patient. Looking at starting up a tree stump removal business. How much insurance should I cary for this? Not looking at bringing any trees down at this time, strictly just stump grinding. I will be using the Alpine Magnum I just ordered yesterday. So I will be a tread lightly no damage per say with heavy equipment.
Thanks for any and all advice.

1 million of liability is pretty much the standard. Especially if your going to work for any municipalities or commercial clients.

Wow, more than I thought I was thinking $250,000. Again this is just for stump grinding.
Thanks for the information.

Might be different where you are. But I can count the number of commercial policies with under a 500k liability limit that I've sold on one hand. If you sub contract with another contractor, be it a GC, dirt crew or a tree guy they want your limits to equal theirs. Plus its not going to raise the price of the policy by much to go a million.

Are you doing residential/comercial or both. Minimum i would get is 250k. In the past 2 weeks our stump grinding sub-contractor shattered a glass door(500) and then an a/c line(1100) I wouldn't get a million dollar policy, seems like over-kill

Pretty new to the forum, so please be patient. Looking at starting up a tree stump removal business. How much insurance should I cary for this? Not looking at bringing any trees down at this time, strictly just stump grinding. I will be using the Alpine Magnum I just ordered yesterday. So I will be a tread lightly no damage per say with heavy equipment.
Thanks for any and all advice.

Hey Haulinwood! Just curious what county are you located in? I may be interested in some of the stump wood you come across. Send me a PM.

Burlhunter, I am in Round Lake area, close to McHenry. Are you a wood turner? Shoot me what you are looking for, I am sure we will work something out.

Get the millon dollar policy. Most policys have a min cost. I could get a 1 mil 2 million policy for the same prices as a $500,000 policy.

Something to think about. What happens if your grinding near a road and you throw a rock, and it hits the windshield of a car, and they swear, hit another car or tree head on and they die. You better bet your a## there family is going to sue you and $250,000 isnt much for a death lawsuit. If you dont have enough insurance, they then will come after your home, or whatever else you own.

Last edited:
My ins agent is having a hard time coming up with a good company. Are there some that I could point them to. What kind of price range for a million dollar policy for someone that does less than 10,000 dollars a year?

I found a company, rather my wife did, that had no problem. I am getting 2 million for all and 1 million personal for $439.00 a year, or $489.00 a year.

Its a 1mil/2mil policy, meaning they will pay 1mil per occurrence and 2 million aggregate (or 2mil/year) and I usually tell people if you hit the second number in a year, you won't have insurance the next year. Thats a darn good rate, anything tree related is usually well north of 2k annually.

You definitely wanna get the 1mil policy. Anything less is for the lowball hacks who screw it up for the high quality working guys.

I use Red Shield Insurance Company and go through a local Agent who has access to alot of diff companies.
I get a great rate, pay $550.00/yr, not including my equipment, its insured through another company.
Coverage is:
2,000,000 General Aggregate
1,000,000 Personal and Advertising Injury Limit
1,000,000 Each Occurence Limit
100,000 Damage to Premises Rented/ any one premises
5,000 Medical Expense Limit/ per persons

Red Shield # 800-527-7397

For any of you landscapers or stump grinders - double check to be sure your policy does not have the XCU exclusion on it. (XCU=Explosion/Collapse/Underground Hazard)

I also agree with Dill - I don't even bother writing anything less than $1mm/$2mm limits any longer since the price difference is so small and it ususally creates issues for GCs.

Last edited:
Back