How much is a burnt 066 worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenstar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Guys, what should I pay a buddy for his 066 which one of his guys ran without two-cycle in the gas! Ooops!!

ANyway, I guess the saw was in great shape before it got burned out!

What will it cost me for a new piston and cylinder?

What is the tops one of you guys would pay for this saw??

(Also, I may have an in with a Stihl dealer price from a local guy who I talk to who said he may be able to do it just once. I did his trees for him so he owes me a favor. In that case I wonder of I should go aftermarket, OR just go factory STihl with his dealer price. I wonder how much this will cost me, and how much I can get my friend to send me this saw for!?)
Thank you for the advice guys..

ps. what do u all think of the new mudd loggers show! I still haven't seen it yet!
Good luck fellas. Stay safe!

give him 50 bucks.

piston will cost 30 bucks or so plus a few hours time acid scrubn the cylinder

give him 50 bucks.

piston will cost 30 bucks or so plus a few hours time acid scrubn the cylinder

Evan, why do you think its only the piston?? Would the cylinder also typically get ruined after such a mistake, or no? I think he said over the phone that cylinder also maybe looks bad. Or can that just be buildup?

Where do I get a cylinder for $30 ?

Last edited:
Pistons are aluminum with no protective plating, so they will be damaged before the cylinders which can take a lot more abuse. If you have to replace both the piston and cylinder, then I'm guessing you'll spend $250+ for Stihl OEM parts. But you can easily do the work yourself. Brad's estimate for the saw sounds about right to me.

Mud Loggers? I like the owner/foreman. This country could use a lot more men like him. A stand-up guy.:clap:

Back