How Much Is A Cord??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony010373

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
How Much Is A Cord Of Firewood? Had Someone Tell Me It Was Two 4 X 8 Ricks And Another Say It Was Three 4 X 8 Ricks. New To Selling Firewood. Thanks For All The Help

It depends on the lenght that the wood was cut, a cord it 4x4x8, a rick is named a face cord for simplicity. If the wood is truely cut at 24", it's a half cord, but not many have a fireplace big enough for that anymore, so it's cut 12"-18" lenghts usually. You can do the math from there.

How Much Is A Cord Of Firewood? Had Someone Tell Me It Was Two 4 X 8 Ricks And Another Say It Was Three 4 X 8 Ricks. New To Selling Firewood. Thanks For All The Help

It is/could be, both, and it could also be one 4x8 rick, four 4x8 ricks, six 4x8 ricks and so on. ;)

Depends on what you have for equipment on the easiest way to do it. I have a dumptrailer and I know from experience that 180 cu. ft. loose thrown will be a nice big fat cord of wood.

In a lot of states the 128 cubic foot is the rule. You'll need to stack it at least once to get an idea of how much wood it is. A pile of wood can seem awfully big until it is stacked.

128 cubic feet tight and 170ish loose or 7 bobcat buckets heaped full. I am going to build a dump box for my 3/4 ton that holds exactly 1 cord of wood and just use that from now on, otherwide when you show up with a truck that holds 3 cords they always ask if it is a cord? and look puzzled

The most reasonable way to sell wood is by the cord loose thrown. How to tell what is a cord? You carefully stack one 4x4x8 cord (or whatever neatly stacked dimensions work best for you as long it it will contain 128 cu ft. Stack as tightly as you can. Now toss that cord into your delivery truck/trailer/whatever. Carfully note how much space that thrown cord takes in -that- vehicle. You now can forget about stacking/measureing in the future. Just toss in 'that much' wood into that vehicle, deliver it and know that no matter how the customer stacks it, it will measure at least a cord.

Me, I use the thrown method and add a bit over just to be sure. I don't sell but an odd cord now and then though.

Harry K

i took and stacked a cord in the truck seen how much it filled it up a cord is alot of wood when stacked. now i just throw it in and look i will always throw 20 to 30 extra peices in just to be sure.

I seriously doubt a 3/4 ton truck will haul a full cord

128 cubic feet tight and 170ish loose or 7 bobcat buckets heaped full. I am going to build a dump box for my 3/4 ton that holds exactly 1 cord of wood and just use that from now on, otherwide when you show up with a truck that holds 3 cords they always ask if it is a cord? and look puzzled

Generally speaking the box in order to fit between the wheel wells. will need to be a little over four feet tall. Stacking wood in a truckbed I always figure there is 1/2 cord. 128 cubic feet is still 128 cubic feet.Bed measures roughly 5x8 minus wheel wells.so it would need to be stacked 3 feet deep.+-

Generally speaking the box in order to fit between the wheel wells. will need to be a little over four feet tall. Stacking wood in a truckbed I always figure there is 1/2 cord. 128 cubic feet is still 128 cubic feet.Bed measures roughly 5x8 minus wheel wells.so it would need to be stacked 3 feet deep.+-

"I seriously doubt a 3/4 ton truck will haul a full cord" ????
I had a customer bet me double or nothing on the price of a cord, that there wasn't a full cord on my 3/4 ton truck. He thought I was trying to short him. Sure was nice to get paid twice for that load.:laugh:
But, that could be one of the reasons I have a hard time selling a truck when I get through with it.

Andy

Latest posts

Back