How much saw do I really need?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spanky1205

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I stumbled onto this site with the above question in mind. You guys have opened an entire new world up to me concerning saws. I did not realize there where so many out there to choose from. Based on what I have read I would like to stick to Stihl or Husky due to dealer availability. I cut mostly pine now since I live in South Dakota. It is mostly in the 8"-16" dia. range. In the next few months I will be making a move to the Jackson Tennessee area, so I will be cutting hard wood as I understand. Im not from around TN so I could be way off basis. Perhaps a few locals could chime in and help out there.

Currently I have a craftsman saw with a 16" bar. It does what I need it to. Since it was given to me I can not complain about the price.

I have been looking at the Stihl MS290. I think that will fit the bill. I just want to be sure I will not be on the look out again next year. I like my current bar size I just want some more power for when I get into the bigger cuts. So far there has only been once that I have wished I had a longer bar. However there have been many times where I wished for more saw.

So my questions are as follows:
Power wise am I looking in the correct place? If not what would be more appropriate?
Should I stick with the 16" bar or go bigger? If bigger how much and why?
Could you make a comparable recommendation on a Husky saw based on the information given?

Thanks for putting up with me.

Spank, First off welcome to the site. Many great individuals here.As to your query about saws I would think that a MS 290 or MS 310 should fit the bill in this brand.As to the other brand (Husqvarna) you will more than likely hear about the famous 346NEXp. Before making a decision I would check out the dealers at your new location. A Dolmar dealer might be in the neighborhood. Enjoy the site, Ken

I stumbled onto this site with the above question in mind. You guys have opened an entire new world up to me concerning saws. I did not realize there where so many out there to choose from. Based on what I have read I would like to stick to Stihl or Husky due to dealer availability. I cut mostly pine now since I live in South Dakota. It is mostly in the 8"-16" dia. range. In the next few months I will be making a move to the Jackson Tennessee area, so I will be cutting hard wood as I understand. Im not from around TN so I could be way off basis. Perhaps a few locals could chime in and help out there.

Currently I have a craftsman saw with a 16" bar. It does what I need it to. Since it was given to me I can not complain about the price.

I have been looking at the Stihl MS290. I think that will fit the bill. I just want to be sure I will not be on the look out again next year. I like my current bar size I just want some more power for when I get into the bigger cuts. So far there has only been once that I have wished I had a longer bar. However there have been many times where I wished for more saw.

Power wise am I looking in the correct place? If not what would be more appropriate?
Could you make a comparable recommendation on a Husky saw based on the information given?

Good first post Spanky, You won't look back if you buy a Husky 365, they seem to be on sale lately, then as you progress along you can make a 372 out of it or even a big bore.
I'd be staying away from the 290, I think it's a home owner saw, although there are other great Stihl's like the 036 or 044.

Right now im felling trees with a Echo cs 370 i work the snot out of it cause its all i got and we need the money! Its a 16" ive taken down oaks that are atleast 20" around. Its slow going but it gets the job done until i can get the funds for a bigger saw. I'd recommend a nice 60cc saw....I'm partial to echo since this saw has done nothing but make me money with no problems along the way. I'd just pick a color i think every brand makes a great saw.

Hey Spanky.... You are moving near my neck of the woods. I live about an hour from Jackson, TN. Depending on where you cut you can be cutting anything from 50-250 years old on average, sometimes older white oak, red oak, etc. Or you could be cutting decent sized pecan, black lotus, dogwoods, poplar, elm, ash, etc.

In fact, a coworker of mine lives about 20 minutes from Jackson and their family farm is around 1,000 acres and always have a few huge trees falling down during storms.

Right now the only chainsaws I have running are 14" and 18" saws and I need something at least 20-26" for when I the 200 and older trees fall or need to be felled to speed things along.

Good luck on your move to the area and I hope you like it.

For me,,,

If your lookin into a Stihl I rather go with a MS260 anytime than a MS290...Husky,, my 346xp,,and MS260 both have 18 inch bars...I do like the 346xp cause it just handles better for me,,but I do like em both...Either one can handle any hardwood great...This again brings up how much wood you are cutting and how long you plan to keep cutting...If your cuttin all the time in the low 20 dia. wood all the time,,I'd go with one of them but if your goin be cutting the big stuff I'd look into a bigger saw and if the craftsman is running good,,keep it for limbing...
When you get moved to Tenn. search around for all the dealers there and talk with em and it dont have to be Stihl or Huskys,,Dolmar makes a wonderfull saw...ClayKann101 posted about his Echo..The only Echo I ran was a John Deere Model 45ev...Slow,,but for a old saw ran good,,and reliable...
Maybe you can wait when you get moved in and go to a GTG and meet some folks off here try out your feel for diffrent saws...Every GTG I went to with my great friends I meet have always said,,you wanna try it?? Maybe that might help your search...I guess everyone can say you should get this or that,,but the best thing is what suits you for feel and comfort,,and how long it'll last... Good luck...

My echo is great for limbing but lacks power for bucking bigger stuff. I think i just need to get rid of this safety chain probably go faster:biggrinbounce2:

In all honesty i dont think you can go wrong with any brand, they are all top notch! If it helps Echo does come with a 5yr consumer warrenty:D

Nothing wrong with a 290 at all for anything under 20" IMO.

I get tired of hearing all the badmouthing going on about the homeowner saws of any brand. Not everyone can afford a big schnaazzy pro model saw and not everyone needs it. I see 290 Stihl saws running that have been going for years with no problems. You won't be disappointed in the 290 bud. They will outcut my 260 all day. They are just a little heavier. I think they cut right with a 346xp Husky, but alot of people won't admit that. :laugh:

Nothing wrong with a 290 at all for anything under 20" IMO.

I get tired of hearing all the badmouthing going on about the homeowner saws of any brand. Not everyone can afford a big schnaazzy pro model saw and not everyone needs it. I see 290 Stihl saws running that have been going for years with no problems. You won't be disappointed in the 290 bud. They will outcut my 260 all day. They are just a little heavier. I think they cut right with a 346xp Husky, but alot of people won't admit that. :laugh:

Good post, I've never used a 290, maybe once, so don't listen to me. I was just mouthing the words of Saw Troll, so does this mean I shouldn't listen to a word he says or should I just shut my mouth? Lol

LOL!! But the MS290...

Thats like being married to the ugliest woman in the world...Keep her at home and not show her in public.... :laugh:

Thats like being married to the ugliest woman in the world...Keep her at home and not show her in public.... :laugh:

Lol, ya they are kinda ugly. Anthony almost made me start to feel sorry for them and almost had me caved in.
I don't know, is the 290 a real saw? Is it tantamount to having a Poulan Wild Thing. Just wondering.
John

Last edited:
Wow I expected a few answers but not this quick. To date I don't think I have ever turned down a chance to go out cutting if I did not have to. I plan to get some use out of the saw. Im not real sure how much I cut a year. I just go out when I can.

I know I should probably wait and buy the saw next season after Im settled into my new place but...a new saw would be so much more fun this season.

No love for the MS290. I will take your words on it. I had to start looking and comparing somewhere.

I have looked into Dolmar. They just do not seem to have the dealers around. Although I will admit I like being different so long as I can rely on what I am buying. Do I understand this right? Makita has taken over Dolmar? Or are they just re-badging Dolmar saws? Is a Makita as good as a Dolmar? Do all of the parts interchange?

How does Echo get by with using such comparatively small engines with such big bars? I take the old saying "there is not replacement for displacement" does not apply to chainsaws?

Almost forgot. CAD? I have picked up on what the over all meaning is but what does it stand for? Im assuming it does not mean Computer Aided Drafting.

Last edited:

Yea, but the old hag has supper ready everyday, and gives you all the loving you need, just like the 290! . ;)

Anyone care to elaborate on the problems with a 290? :laugh:

OP: you may not want to just take peoples word against the 290. Just try one out and see how you like it. I own pro saws, though I'm not a pro I cut almost everyday and sometimes 8-10 hours a day. No room for a homeowner saw in my plans. But anyone just cutting firewood, a 290 is hard to beat. Unless you want to spend 500 on a 346xp or Stihl MS260 and have a pro saw. Me, if my needs were similar to the ones you posted, I would be dropping 350 on a 290 and be done with it. ;)

I guess Stihl sold a boat load of em..

Lol, ya they are kinda ugly. Anthony almost made me start to feel sorry for them and almost had me caved in.
I don't know, is the 290 a real saw? Is it tantamount to having a Poulan Wild Thing. Just wondering.
John

To me for a home owner saw for the weekends,,,prob. be best bang for the bucks..I always see them on sell in the newpaper flyers and they are a good price for a new saw,,but,,for me and my use I'm running the dog crap outta a saw,,and when I have issues come up how easy is it gonna be to work on it....I never have anything go bad on my MS260 and insane as this might sound I mill small cants with it...They are that good...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Then stay away from Stihl. Evidentally you dont like the 290. Thats fine. Then you could consider the 290's counterpart, the husqvarna 455 Rancher.
The 290 is a fine saw, but so is the 455. IMO, if you look around you can get a 346 pho for the same price as a 455 rancher. plus, you can always consider Jonsered, which IMHO, is what I would recommend you get. IMO, the prettiest chainsaw out there mang! Point is there are WAY too many options for you to have to "settle" for anything! And whether you want homeowner or professional is totally up to you. But again, by reading what you have said, you have many quality choices other than Stihl.

I think good dealer support is going to be important. Maybe someone from the area can detail which dealers are good where the OP is going to move.

Then the choice of saw line should be based on a good, close dealer who also services saws. We all know that any of half a dozen brands of excellent saws will do great work for anyone.

Yeah, I'm brand loyal, but brand loyalty only goes so far, and is mostly about history and sentiment. Since the OP doesn't have that history, let the brand decision be made at least to some degree by which dealer in his new area offers the best support.

As for the 290, it gets little love among the pro-saw snobs because it's not a pro-grade saw, because it's the most popular saw in America, and because snobs always need SOMETHING to look down their noses at. :)

I ran one for several years, doing some felling and cutting about 10 cords of hardwood for firewood per year. It never missed a beat. Any of the best brands' homeowner saws will give you many years of great service if you learn to maintain them religiously and cut with them properly.

Ely is exactly right. Dealer support is huge. Consider that heavily, and IMO, whatever choice you make you really cant go wrong.:chainsaw:

Its not how big of a saw do you need its how long do you want to take getting the job done.... A good saw can cut your cutting time in half or better and make a big diff on how you feel at the end of the day... I would suggest 6401 makita or 365 husky.

Get a Husky 455, with a sharp chain it will be more saw than you need for under 20" softwood. I was mildly impressed with the one I ran awhile ago, and it's strato so it will be fuel efficient and not make you breathe in any more than you have to. The strato is what sets it apart from the 290 IMO.

Latest posts

Back