How much to pay?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is the area, we get that all the time. What I don't understand is why they always gotta throw the GD in there somewhere. lol

Ha! You're right. I sent the foreman to Edgewood the other day to bid on a take down. The old guy told him "I don't want that Malouf over here, he is so GD high you can't afford the bill." Foreman just started walking back to the truck while telling him "Well, you don't want us either then. We are worse."

College educated in what? Not finance obviously.

5 hours with travel time maybe with 2 men equals 10 man hours at winter rate of 70 dollars per man hour.....tip em around $600.00 if you feel guilty (or send it to me if you lost their address).

Priceless.

That cheap, I'd want to see their work.

If the cuts are good and tree looks good, that's 1/3 of what I'd charge. But I've seen a lot of guys cut trees cheap and ruin the tree also. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
I know I couldn't, actually just wouldn't work for that.

Ha! You're right. I sent the foreman to Edgewood the other day to bid on a take down. The old guy told him "I don't want that Malouf over here, he is so GD high you can't afford the bill." Foreman just started walking back to the truck while telling him "Well, you don't want us either then. We are worse."

Thats great man gotta love the folks from Edgewood Tx....YEEE HAW

Pictures please?

Without pictures of some of the cuts, impossible for us to tell if job was great/good/terrible. Two men for 2 hours? I can accomplish easily in 15 minutes what I used to do with a bit of difficulty in half an hour or more. If these guys are just getting started but had proper training, they may have done an excellent job taking a bit longer than needed, and under-charged due to inexperience. How much to tip? Whatever you think it was "really" worth to you. Telling others they did excellent work would be good. Telling others they were cheap would be bad. Please share your decision?

A tip would be nice, as thats a killer price just to get anybody with any skill to climb & prune & do a decent cleanup... in the snow!

But more important than that...

If he is a legit outfit, REFER REFER REFER, and then tell all your friends & families & neighbors and your families neighbors friends. And co-workers.

Future support of his business is worth 1 meeeelion times the added tip amount, promise.

I know I couldn't, actually just wouldn't work for that.

Agreed. Don't get out of bed for less than $325, and even then I better be home in time for the price is right!:cheers:

(and thats if its a cash job for just me, my boys almost cost me that per hour to drive an hour!)

Last edited:
I had a pretty big Red Oak and a small Japanese Maple pruned today. The college educated, fully insured Arborist climbed the Oak and took off 3 large dead limbs. On the way up they removed all of the sucker limbs.

They had to shovel their way to the tree (the snow is getting deep) and they chipped and removed every last twig.

They did what they called a first year pruning on the Maple. Both trees look perfect.

2 guys took 2 hours (without travel) to do the work. They charged me $140.

I feel like I should send more than that, but how much?

For Bedford... that is really cheap. Are you sure it was not a side job they did?

Back