How much will it haul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowawoodguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking to increase the amount of wood I can haul in a single trip. I found this trailer nearby. The guy says he hauls his harley in it, and he thinks its a 5 by 8 trailer. Im thinking i probably wouldn't load it any more full than the bed of the pickup. I just want to know what you guys think the weight limit is on it.
View attachment 895310

It should say on the tongue. It won't be more than 2900 unless it has brakes (and it probably doesn't). Also, If you load it at max weight, a little 5x8 will take a crap on you sooner than later. Save your money and buy something with more capacity (volume and weight)

If you're still considering this trailer, I'll put in my two cents. I have a 5x8 trailer and can only put in it enough to fill a 6 foot full sized bed of firewood before the tires squat. It came with a 1/2 ton axle that broke so I replaced with a 2000# one. I had to move the axle back 3 inches because it would fish tail empty. Now the limiting factor is the tires (car) and the frame. I bent the frame slightly by over loading. Would like a little bigger and more sturdy trailer.

I agree with what’s been said. If it has a 2000 lb axle I’d pass. If it’s a 3500 lb axle it may be worth checking out. A 2000 lb axle is typically around 1.75” diameter. A 3500 lb axle is typically around 2.375” diameter. A 5x8 trailer with a 3500 lb axle should be ok up to about 1/2 cord at most of an average weight hardwood.

Latest posts

Back