How much wood do I have here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battletross

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Thinking about purchasing this pile of leftovers and am trying to get an idea of how much wood is here. They said that their best guess was around 20 full cords. That seems way high to me, but i'm not used to seeing piles of logs. Anyone have a good ballpark guess?

uXkCmTp.jpg

gsYHxgS.jpg

It's hard to say. Get it cheap, there still is a lot of work there to do anything with it. I'm conservative with estimates on piles. it doesn't look like 20 cord at all not even 10 cord to me.

I am pretty good at estimating cut pieces but not logs and since you have a mix it makes it difficult. I try to figure out how many pick up loads (just loaded to the top of the bed so 1/2 cord) you would haul out and divide by 2. I am seeing about 12-14 cords but it is hard to tell with all the different piles.

Our best guess was about 10 cord when we saw it in person. They want $1250 picked up for everything. Face cords of split mixed hardwoods go for $75-85 around here picked up.

Our best guess was about 10 cord when we saw it in person. They want $1250 picked up for everything. Face cords of split mixed hardwoods go for $75-85 around here picked up.
i'd tell them you will give them a break and only charge them $1,000 to haul it away. what kind of equipment do you have to move that much wood? and help and time . most people over estimate amounts of wood like that.

i'd tell them you will give them a break and only charge them $1,000 to haul it away. what kind of equipment do you have to move that much wood? and help and time . most people over estimate amounts of wood like that.

That's what I was thinking. They need it moved asap, so i'd be doing them a favor by removing it. Just two pickups with 6x12 trailers, a couple chainsaws and a lot of hands.

Hard to tell from the pics, but to me it looks like about 5 cord give or take.

7cord tops

I suck at guesstimates but after looking at it I was going to say 5-7 cord.

I probably wouldn't pay much for it, if anything at all. I don't understand paying money to clean up somebody's property for them. Seems like they should be paying you to haul it off. If you are desperate for wood that won't be seasoned for a year or two, then I might understand. Are they going to cut it to size and load it for you? That might be worth something. Are you burning it or selling it? There is a lot of waste there if you are selling it.

Also that wood looks like Cherry and soft Maple... for the money they want for it your better your better off buying log length loads of hard wood that you can cut to the size you need, if you can find it.

Looks like the pile I'm dealing with right now. I'd guess maybe 5 cords. There's lots of work left. It sucks trying to stack all the different length wood. $1250 is just way out there.

Back