How much wood is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Super-hunky

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I took the new Dolmar 5100 out today and cut as much wood as I could fit in a supercrew bed. It was raining all day but I just could'nt wait any longer so I went cutting anyway.

The logs you see in my truck are all dead standing Oak ,(Gamble Oak). I have been told figures anywhere from 1/2 cord to a full cord and everything in between. I don't have any idea exactly how much wood this is and would appreciate if you could give me your best guess.

firewood002.jpg

BTW, the Dolmar worked out very well and started very easily. Why they make the 5100 with a decompression release I have no idea. It is totally NOT needed.

I will do an in depth review of the saw once I have some more cutting time with it under my belt. So far, so good other than when it idles for a little while, it stalls out as soon as I give it gas. Maybee I'm doing something wrong but it seems to do this almost every time.

A cord is 4x4x8.
My calibrated guess is 7/8 of a cord.

Well, I would say somewhere between a half and a full cord.:jester: :jester:

Seriously, I would guess a little over half

II will do an in depth review of the saw once I have some more cutting time with it under my belt. So far, so good other than when it idles for a little while, it stalls out as soon as I give it gas. Maybee I'm doing something wrong but it seems to do this almost every time.

Hmmm..... you aren't doing anything wrong.. Take it back to your dealer. oh ... that's right... not close by... :popcorn:

Try turning up your idle a bit until the chain runs, then back it of until it stops. If you're at altitude, you might need to adjust your L mixture.

Last edited:
By the time it's split and stacked (tight please) - 1/2 cord.

I will dissagree, I find once it is split it actually takes more space. Sounds odd I agree, but.........

I go with Kevin on this one, not quite a cord, but it should be very close.

Not it it's tight stacked (triangles up and down) - I find the damn pile shrinks. Of course, why split those pecker poles anyhow??

Hey Hunky - just split/cut the frigg'in wood, stack it and measure. I hate the "how many beans in the jar" stuff:)

Last edited:
Get splitting and stacking right now.
Post a pic of it stacked,
and let us know who wins the prize.

:popcorn:

Gambel oak, fresh cut is about 5200 pounds per cord.Unless the truck has some special suspension I doubt it is even a half cord.

I believe that he said it was standing dead so hard to judge how dry it is, but it does look awfully green, probably due to the rain though.

A cord is 4x4x8.
My calibrated guess is 7/8 of a cord.

I'd say that's about right, as loaded. If you flatten the top, you'd have about 2.5 feet deep of logs. Taking wheel wells into consideration, you've got about a 5 foot width. About an 8 foot long load. So 2.5 x 5 x 8 = 100 ft^3. 100/128 = 0.78 cord (or a bit over 7/8ths of a cord). I'd guess that after it's split and stacked, about 3/4 cord. Now put your tape measure on the load and tell us how much there is...

Hmmm...
That box is looking smaller as the night goes on.
I'm gonna change my guess to 9/16 of a cord.
That's my final answer.

(Check out my triceps in my avatar. HUGE)

Last edited:
Howdy Mr Super,

Hard to tell from the picture but that looks like a 6 foot truck bed. I will guess 1/2 cord. You could say you just cut a truck load.

I would like to suggest that you dont hit your breaks to hard if your load is not secure. You could put you a piece of plywood up font in the bed to save that back glass.

I saw the pictures on your other thread of your view. Looks nice and congrats on the saw. i hope you get her adjusted right. Keep posting those pics.

v/r

Mike

Andy:

I'll take your advice and turn up the idle a bit on the saw. The chain does not spin at all at idle but I will adjust it until it does, and then back it off.

I also have to fine tune the carb setting as I am cutting at 7400-8k feet.

Back to the wood. This wood I cut is VERY dry; almost too dry!. Some of it was on the "punky" side [styrofoamy on the inside], but not much.

I was told that the best size logs to cut (around here) is around 4-6 inches. This way, you retain a hard round when cut into stove lengths and you don't have to split it.

If I cut down larger trees, (hard to find btw), I would just end up splitting them into smaller sizes anyway so these little 6 inchers saves me a step.

Although my truck is only a 1/2 ton, it does have a beefed up Rancho suspension and can easily hold just over a ton, (may explain lack of suspension sag).

Anyway, this is interesting as once again, I have *guesstimates* all over the place. Personally, regardless of the actual "volume" of wood...i.e cord = 4x4x8, I would think that the most accurate measurement wood be by weight as some of the punky pieces of Oak may burn even faster than pine of fir in top condition.

BTW, if this is only 1/2 cord of wood, I've got a lot more cutting to do as we are going to be heating a 4000sf leaky (air infiltration) log home.

One more thing; this Dolmar is a ridiculously smooth machine. There is absolutely no vibration at all; nothing. Very kewl!:clap:

Back