How much wood so far

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm at 4.5 cord right now. I have about 2800 sq. feet of house and 900 sq. feet of garage to heat.

I can see location is making a big difference here....I'm closer to the Canada guys in location and how much I've burned.

About 3/4 cord so far (96 cu feet), Englander catalytic (That thing sure is efficient). My house is well insulated 2500 sq feet with good windows.
Mixed hardwood

Almost 2 cords house was built with a big fireplace with a forced air system
around it .I just wish it would have been hooked to the cold air return
built in 85 about 2700 sq red oak maple and locust.

Man, you all go through some wood!

Its warmer here in SE PA for sure though.

2400 sq ft house

Jotul Oslo

Burned about 1.5 cords maybe a bit more, mixed hard woods and about 10 gallons of fuel oil.

Definitely colder than last year this time.

Take care,

JD

My math says 3cord tossed/stacked in the cellar so far, and there is over one cord remaining. My hope was to make it into the new year with old wood, and that seems quite likely.

Last year, due to length of winter, went through 8cords expected and all get-ahead wood for this winter, best guess is over 10cords.

So, I planned ahead and had split/under roof, 20cords.....so what happens, a normal winter. So there is plenty to sell to cover base costs, and then some.

Still have 30cord to cut/split/stack out back.....it never ends.:greenchainsaw:

Pile

Thanks coog. I put some hours into my pile. Each pile is 2 skids wide, 6 - 7 feet tall and 25 to 30 feet long. Im working on my fifth one now. Been covered for over a year. People stop by from time to time complaining that the wood theyve been buying from firewood dealers has been green. They ask if id sell some and i always turn down the offer. If its someone nice i offer them a trunkfull for free. Ive got alittle extra to share but none to sell, i like being neighborly. I put too much effort into my wood to sell it. Ive got to keep it well covered, its probably 4 years or more of heat for my home.

I put too much effort into my wood to sell it.

That is why I was a lousy wood seller; no amount of money seemed like a fair price for losing that big pile in the backyard.At my place up in MN I built a shed that allows me to stack to about 10' high.It holds 12 cords.I think you need one like that.

Last edited:
Maybe 3 cords here. Ended up with a mix this year, mostly Oak but a good amount of Birch, some maple and a tree I cut down I think it was a Lindon or something like that? Looked it up on line before I cut her down.

We have not turned the heat on yet and we've had some cold weather...nothing like sleeping under 4 inches of blankets in a stone cold bedroom! (my wife loves not paying the oil man).

Started burning on and off the first of Oct. then burned steady through Nov. and Dec.

I've burned about 2.5 cord of mixed hardwood..maple, oak, ash, and a little elm.

about a half to 3/4 of a cord in northern ohio. not burning full time though

I have went through 1.25 cord but had my OWB started December 19th. I have burned mostly white pine the 1st 2 weeks but have since gotten into the Maple, although the pine wasn't terrible to keep up with at all (at least 12 hr burn), but I am approaching a 24 hr burn in 10-15° weather with my little boiler.

We heat exclusively with wood. We started burning every night in eaerly October and finished up the first cord late in December. Mostly 'shoulder wood'. I hadn't figured it was going to get as cold as it has here so I restacked 1/3 cord of Elm and Hackberry to get to the Mulberry in the stack. My best wood is all in a seperarte stack that is easy enough to get to for really bad weather. I have been using a little of this at night to be sure I have good coals in the morning.

Total burned so far is still less than 1 1/2 cords.

Latest posts

Back