How much work does it take for you saws to be junk?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious what other people think itll take to bring down a saw to that "junk" name. For me on smaller saws its crank work bigger saws its major tank and handle body damage ( like someone running it over).

One thing you'll hear on here is most of us factor in zero cost for our labor. I feel the same way. I can put hours/days into a saw to get it going. I hope to keep the cost of parts under what it would cost to replace the saw with a used saw in similar condition. But it's a vicious cycle, you put 10 hours into a saw and realize it needs even more parts. Then I hear myself saying "I have 10hrs invested in this thing, I can't let sound financial sense take that away from me." More parts get ordered...
The other 99.5% of the saw users in the world, that aren't members here, would include the cost of someones labor and would never think to replace a top end let alone split a case. To each his own.

Just curious if anyone would put a crank in a saw

Here's my definition of a junk saw, the stihl ms192T. This pic shows the screwed big-end bearing that happened not once but twice on this piece of sh*t, both times within the warranty period. The rest of the saw is still pristine condition. Stihl dealer replaced the first crank unit but welched on the deal the second time. These saws just can't handle hard use. Repeat, they're complete junk. Get this, they're over $800 new down here, and a new crank is $409. Would I replace the crank again?? NO!!

junk.jpg

Last edited:
Depends, if it's a saw I like/am interested in collecting, it will usually get rebuilt...no matter the cost. Much like beauty, the value is in the eye of the beholder.

The 031 I'm working on right now I was given for free. By the time I'm done I will probably have more money stuck in it than I could have bought one off eBay for. But at the same time, the saw will be completely rebuilt...including a new crankcase, P&C, and chain brake....as well as a shiny paint job. If I bought one off eBay, I'd still have to rebuild it/repaint it anyway, as I'd never be happy with the condition it would be in (unless it were new...but then you're talking ridiculous money), and you never know how the previous owner treated the saw. Taking that into consideration was one of the main reasons I decided to just rebuild what I had.

Here's my definition of a junk saw, the stihl ms192T. ... Get this, they're over $800 new down here, and a new crank is $409. Would I replace the crank again?? NO!!

You folks get the screws put to you hard on pricing.

The is no such thing as a complete junk saw in my opinion. I will send completely destroyed saws to the recycle drum but only after a thorough look over. Really squished ones are good conversation pieces and serve as excellent awards to those that deserve them. Crispy blacken ones usually end up in the recycle drum. All saws deemed junk are usually stripped down to the bare case halves.

Ohh I can completely understand parting them out. I also work on my own saws (unless its under warranty) but I was just curious to see what kind of repairs turn them into part saws or heaven forbid the recycle can.

Here's my definition of a junk saw, the stihl ms192T. This pic shows the screwed big-end bearing that happened not once but twice on this piece of sh*t, both times within the warranty period. The rest of the saw is still pristine condition. Stihl dealer replaced the first crank unit but welched on the deal the second time. These saws just can't handle hard use. Repeat, they're complete junk. Get this, they're over $800 new down here, and a new crank is $409. Would I replace the crank again?? NO!!

junk.jpg

I'm curious about what you are using it to do? My 192 CE has seen heavy summer work but I only use it for trimming and it seldom cuts anything over 3" and so far, it's run like a champ.

I'm curious about what you are using it to do? My 192 CE has seen heavy summer work but I only use it for trimming and it seldom cuts anything over 3" and so far, it's run like a champ.

Forestry, pruning pine trees mate, but it's commercial use and 192T's aren't commercial grade, that's why they make 200T's, so 192T's are probably not REALLY a junk saw if used for what they're designed for, but the old non pro-grade 019T's were a lot tougher than these modern ones

That question came to my mind when my stepson brought me a Stihl 011AVT to restore.

I have rebuilt several makes and size of saws. I have bought some used saws mostly through eBay. My mind seems to thrive on making something old come to life and work again. I've spent about six hours on this saw and I think the findings are overwith so the new parts will make it run another lap. I'll be mighty proud of my skill, patience and tool kknowledge if it does. Salud!

what's junk

All of my saws were someone else's junkers. It's just that my opinion of junk varies from other people. I can fix what others consider beyond repair and have done so many times. So I quess junk for me would be catastrophic damage to crank, cylinder and piston at once and then I would still part out the rest. Always need spare parts.

Fuber

I changed E for economical for A for all in FUBAR,
That is my guide, can always rob parts off a saw not worth fixing.

Ohh I can completely understand parting them out. I also work on my own saws (unless its under warranty) but I was just curious to see what kind of repairs turn them into part saws or heaven forbid the recycle can.

When labour and parts = 1/3 the cost of new it becomes a parts saw.........with labout cost per hour ranging from $50-90/hour up here in Canada, and very similar in the US, alot of saws become parts saws................then there are also many that make alot of money on these junk parts saws!

With most saws the price of repair is the biggest factor. At the shop I usually have a pretty good supply of dead 018/180's, 021/023/025 and 026's saws laying around. So I usually have enough parts saws to fix or rebuild any of these saws.
Usually splitting a case is a deal breaker on a modern current production saw, I'll buy a good parts saw, or crankcase before I'll split one.

Ok next time I will read all the posts then do a multi-quote.

I have a Pioneer P26, junk, piece of crap, call it whatever, but its the first saw my fateher let me use, so its gone into restoration mode, everything NOS and when I get it just like new I might fire it up once in awhile but will most likely never cut wood with it. Its been an 8 year project thus far and I am not done, a bit of a money pit by todays standards but its a project of sentimental value, regardless if it takes me another 20 years, to me its not junk.

Back