How much would you charge to cut this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireman33

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I did a pine last week and I'm still trying to get better at quoting jobs...id like to know ball park what you guys would charge to take this down...home owner cleans up everything...about 25 feet from the house, 3feet at the base, at 15 foot mark it divides into 5 huge vertical limbs that are about a foot and a half across at the base. Definitely needs to be climbed...what's your best quote in your area.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 364
Well...I'm kinda looking at numbers here to see where I stand, I climbed the tree...so harness and rope wear and tear for one job isn't really a big deal...same with the saw...probably cost me 5$ in gas and oil plus another 10$ in my truck...what would you have charged for the job by looking at the picture with client cleaning up the mess

Well...I'm kinda looking at numbers here to see where I stand, I climbed the tree...so harness and rope wear and tear for one job isn't really a big deal...same with the saw...probably cost me 5$ in gas and oil plus another 10$ in my truck...what would you have charged for the job by looking at the picture with client cleaning up the mess

'bout $75.

Not exactly sure why it needs to be climbed. I'd drop it for $150.00, if he insisted on climbing, $450.00.

Thanks for your reply.
The tree was leaning away from the house and back a bit...on the other side of the trees behind the pine...probably 30' away was another house, to the left of the trees were the power line and I was standing on the other side of the road where I took the picture...basically everything was far too close to just fall it. I bid 700$ and got the job, he had 3 different company do a quote.

Why couldn't you drop it right towards where you took the picture?

Because the road was only about 25 feet away from the base of the tree and also the tree was leaning heavy the opposite direction...with all the branches on the opposite side of the tree...wouldn't have been possible or safe to even try. And also...why would I even risk totally crushing the clients house ? If anything at all would go wrong....its just not worth the risk

Ive been cutting wood for 10 years for myself...so I'm not new to using saws...I'm new to climbing trees but I'm not new doing rope work as I've been a high angle rescue tech and rope access tech for 6 years...and I'm definitely not dum enough to ever try to fall that tree from the ground with all the obstacle around it...when I tell you it wasn't feasible to fall it down...it's because it wasn't possible without hitting something...no matter what the direction of the fall. It wasn't an option at that particular job.

I could drop that tree 99% of the time where I want it to fall using the proper rigging equipment since it was leaning so bad the opposite direction...that's no the problem...the problem is it would have made a huge mess of his front lawn...would have fallen right into the road and most likely because of its size would have broken through the pavement...which I would have had to cover the bill...plus the road would be shut down for clean up. I didn't want to deal with all the headache that why I climbed it. Plus the 1% chance something go wrong isn't worth trying to be a hero and fall it from the ground...if you don't understand those things then I don't know what else to say chief...I've lost 20 minutes of my day arguing with you about why I climbed that tree and all I wanted was a simple" how much would you charge" anyways thanks for your input/critics about possible lack of experience :)

I must be talking with a little kid lol...let me explain one last time about the part you didn't understand...the 99% rate I see you didn't catch that...if I would have decided to fall that tree...I could have done it and it would have fallen right where I wanted it to 99% of the time that's what I meant...but considering all the factors I decided not to, that's all. And no I'm not gonna quit my day job because it's a pretty awesome one but this side business is treating me pretty good. Take care

I would be crazy to leave a full time firefighting position...it never crossed my mind, I do tree work on the side because I absolutely love it...I'm my own boss and I only do the job I feel comfortable doing, when I think it's over my head I leave it to more qualified people.

Latest posts

Back