How much would you charge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have taken the cowards way out.This person is on a social media site about 3 hours per day soooo.I just sent a private message that said that I have been checking around and the consenus is $50.00 per hr I origionaly had told him that I would work for $35.00 per hr and I would supply everything he needs to do this work ( this time only for $35.00 per ) but I have put several hundred into my equiptment this summer alone to keep everything in working condition.In the future after this job my price would be $50.00 per from now on.

I have this neighbor who lives a mile above me.He has hired me in the past to do some material moving with my tractor and yard some logs for him as well. He called me a little while ago and hears the deal
He want's to cut about 6 coards of Poplar and Hack and wants me to yard the logs for him .He will be felling them into a horse pasture at least some of them and he want's me to move the brush as well. Oh and he also does not have a saw that runs so he wants me to supply him with a saw. I told him by the time he paid me and paid the trucking of the logs there would be very little money left over for him. And he should check the price per coard closely first. He wants to know how much I would charge him for Me ,My 4wd Kubota and Farmi winch and at least 2 saws as i would not go with just one saw,He has absolouty nothing for chain hammer wedge ect.I will have to supply it all.I told him $35.00 per hour gets him me and everything He needs to do the work. I think he feels this is too much,I said well saws are $300 min the Kubota was $14,000.00 winch was $1500.00 and then I have to supply all the incidentals,what would you charge? I should have said $75.00 per as I really dont want to get involved. So I am hopeing he thinks there will be no money to be made.

For all that real world,,,100.00- 150.00 and hour would be cheap but helping your neighbor,,,, @ 35.00 you are really doing him a favor I say your a GOOD MAN IF YOU CAN DO IT FOR THAT!!!!!!!! JMHO $50.00 with the tractor and winch

Last edited:
Soo I'd be paying $65 an hour for you to drive to my site..!!

I once saw a company do this..with a 2 hour drive time---double it both ways..

Needless to say...they're no longer in business..!! Maybe they retired to the Cayman Islands..??
:cheers:
J2F

I work for a glass contracting company, on service repair work we charge for drive time. None of our techs. want to drive for 30 minutes or more for free. Some of these people like to live in rural secluded areas, break a window mowing grass, need it fixed. They chose to live that far from civilization. We get paid by the hour whether were driving or fixing. Not at all unreasonable.

Totally understand..!!

Maintaining equipment ain't cheap and most folks don't understand that..

And the bigger the equipment..usually the higher the cost.

I really hope you make out ahead on this project..!!
J2F

Hope whatever you do works out for you.

However I feel this whole thing from the get go has tremendous downside risk and no upside.:msp_confused:

Soo I'd be paying $65 an hour for you to drive to my site..!!

I once saw a company do this..with a 2 hour drive time---double it both ways..

Needless to say...they're no longer in business..!! Maybe they retired to the Cayman Islands..??
J2F

lol its understood between parties up front and im about 20 an hour cheaper than most other mobile welders, then theres the fact that i do it on the side only

lol its understood between parties up front and im about 20 an hour cheaper than most other mobile welders, then theres the fact that i do it on the side only
All is cool..bro..!! The upfront part and mutual agreement..that's just right..!!

But you won't be retiring to the Cayman Islands anytime soon..!! LOL..!!
J2F

I charge 50 bucks an hour for any work I do on my tractor. Skid steer is the same price. It don't matter if it's digging waterline, mowing brush, digging holes, etc.

I build fence for 3.25 per foot or usually 1.25-1.40 if they supply matierials.

I put up hay for 2/3rds of the hay I make. If all conditions are perfect and the grass is nice and thick I'll go for halves.

You have to know your prices before you even discuss the work. None of this "well, does 30 per hour sound too high?" crap. :D

Don't be afraid to charge what you feel is right. If they don't like it they can do it themselves or hire someone else.

All is cool..bro..!! The upfront part and mutual agreement..that's just right..!!

But you won't be retiring to the Cayman Islands anytime soon..!! LOL..!!
J2F

no cayman islands lol i hate pineapple and my wife hates coconut so no pina colada sippin for us

Last edited:
Wow, $35 per hour??!! In my business, I get $75 per hour just for my tractor, $25 for any other power equipment used and another $25 per man hour. I just don't deal with friggin free loaders like this guy, sorry. I would go broke quick if I worked for $35 per hour.

Tractor and winch is easily worth more than 50 an hour never mind the operator, saws, gas or actual work involved.

Wow, $35 per hour??!! In my business, I get $75 per hour just for my tractor, $25 for any other power equipment used and another $25 per man hour. I just don't deal with friggin free loaders like this guy, sorry. I would go broke quick if I worked for $35 per hour.

I agree 100% don't leave the yard for less than $140 an hour or you'll lose your butt. Look at the cost of fuel and everything else it's sad but it's so true. That much equipment and all that work ain't cheap. My stuff would stay in the yard unless he fronts 10 hours up front. Sorry not for me.

What i do when friends ask me for help and a price is, tell them to get a bid or two for the work and then come see me, you then can take the lowest bid and drop it a few bucks(if you can still make some money) and every one wins. you get the work and he feels that you are giving him a great deal. sometimes people dont know what the going rate for service's are and need a little reality check.

Good luck

Nothing against your neighbor but if I'm going to be cutting with someone I want to see them do it with their own equipment before they get to use mine. I also like to make sure you have a general idea of what you are doing so you don't injure me or my equipment. Just my 2 cents worth.

There's an old country sayin'..

"Friends and relatives are WORSE than strangers"...LOL..!!

Friends you CAN choose, relatives you CAN NOT.The problem is if you once carry out a job that turns out to be a problem/ no money in it, you are thought of badly if you refuse or want a higher hourly rate for the next job which you will certainly be asked to do if your initial charge was too cheap.Always quote a realistic price, or you are sure to get taken advantage of[ the Op`S deal I would walk away from]with a polite refusal.

Well I have taken the cowards way out.This person is on a social media site about 3 hours per day soooo.I just sent a private message that said that I have been checking around and the consenus is $50.00 per hr I origionaly had told him that I would work for $35.00 per hr and I would supply everything he needs to do this work ( this time only for $35.00 per ) but I have put several hundred into my equiptment this summer alone to keep everything in working condition.In the future after this job my price would be $50.00 per from now on.

That works. It seems that with neighbors they either want it cheap or free. I'll do some free cutting here and there for the wood, but it's mostly as a favor.

Maybe you could offer to help him with the trees if you keep the wood, and he takes care of the brush.

That works. It seems that with neighbors they either want it cheap or free. I'll do some free cutting here and there for the wood, but it's mostly as a favor.

Maybe you could offer to help him with the trees if you keep the wood, and he takes care of the brush.

Well there is noothing there that I woud want.I own 100 times the land he does so wood is of no interest to me.He takes the winter off every year ( lay off ) and does not try to search for work .His wife has been out of work for 20 years she cannot go back to work as she is to stunninly beautiful and all the men constantly look,leer,and in general harass her.they own 3 useless horse's cannot afford to feed them and are always asking if anyone has hay Reasonable so they can afford it. In my opinion they bring it all on themselves.in the summer he has just recently gone back to work after being fired about 2 years ago.He drive 120 miles one way to where he works now in a 1992 F 350 Ford diesel pick up I am sure that gets great mileage.

Latest posts

Back