how much would you charge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mga

wandering
Reaction score
this guy sees i have a log splitter and he asks me if i would split about four face cords for him. he says he will pay me $20 per face cord and i don't have to stack the wood. i haven't seen the wood yet, so i have no idea how big it is or what type, but, he lives in a heavy suburban area, so i'm presuming he must have acquired some free wood some place.

my splitter has a single wedge and is capable of splitting any thing any size, but, i just don't want to be lifting huge rounds for 20 bucks.

i read the old thread on this subject and it seems the prices were all over the board. i'll just be splitting, but i felt that 20 bucks per face cord was a bit low.

ya think?

IF, it was all straight grained,, and no knots, and limbs out the side,, and as said, not big stuff,, ok.. otherwise,, all bets are OFF!! crooked, knots, gnarled grain,, is going to consume waaaay more time,, and MUCH more work...can go look at the stuff first??? annnnndddddd,, id be setting the price,, not him. that sounds like,, hes wanting a large bargain...and a suburban tree,, could be full of all sorts of wonderful things......I ran into, a LARGE lagscrew in one I did this spring. JUST missed with the cs!! and the splitter blade cleared it by 1/8 inch!!!!! the same place, next day, I just missed a LARGE pole barn spike!!!! damn suburban trees.............

this guy sees i have a log splitter and he asks me if i would split about four face cords for him. he says he will pay me $20 per face cord and i don't have to stack the wood. i haven't seen the wood yet, so i have no idea how big it is or what type, but, he lives in a heavy suburban area, so i'm presuming he must have acquired some free wood some place.

my splitter has a single wedge and is capable of splitting any thing any size, but, i just don't want to be lifting huge rounds for 20 bucks.

i read the old thread on this subject and it seems the prices were all over the board. i'll just be splitting, but i felt that 20 bucks per face cord was a bit low.

ya think?
Sounds like easy money to me! Assuming the rounds aren't something huge, how long do you estimate it would take you to split 4/3 of a cord? If that work out to be good $/hr then do it but be prepared to walk if you show up and the guy has 40" rounds.

$80 sounds like a bargain. $60 a day to rent a splitter, your going to deliver, pick up and do the labor. Fuel surcharge? I'd ask for $100, and be willing to "meet in the middle".

Good news is if they're 4' rounds, should only be 3-4 of them and you get to noodle them where someone else gets to deal with the mess. Could be worse.

ya think?

Look before you leap

Go look at the job before you say anything. It's not just the big stuff you need to worry about, but other factors as well.

How is the access? Will you be able to get your splitter to the pile or end up bringing the pile to the splitter? If the latter, how far do you have to move the wood?

Length is an issue. I have one customer that takes 2 cord of 12 to 13 inch wood every year. I know from experience it takes a lot longer to split her order than the normal 17 to 18 inch stuff I put up for the majority of the customers. Along the same lines if it's wood from a take down you may find anything from 10 inches to 4 ft.

What kind of wood? Red oak or ash is much easier than something stringy like black birch or shagbark.

What's the travel time? I've found customers seem to think the time behind the wheel getting to and from is free. I don't buy into that theory as it's my time and vehicle expense.

How well do you know the guy? There are some whiners that no amount of money makes worth dealing with. No matter what you do to accommodate, because you're a "firewood guy" they think you're out to rip them off and will never be satisfied.

All that said, on the splitting jobs I've taken on, I quote $35/hour for man and machine, minimum 2 hour charge, and $1.00 per mile getting there, ($.50 per mile round trip). Set trip odometer at 0 and whatever it reads upon arrival is multiplied by $1.00).

As you mentioned in your post, this type of work and what to charge is a YMMV situation with the eventual the decision falling on you and how much or how little you want the job. Just trying to point out some of the things I've run into in the past that may, or may not, be useful.

Take Care

It's been a LONG time since I charged to split wood. Firewood was going for $100 a cord and I charged $40 per cord. But, I did stack, so I had an accurate measurement. Looks like you're pretty close to what I used to get. I'd rather get $80 per cord. Now, if I had something special to buy or a project, and $60 would seal the deal, I'd probably do it, Joe.

It's been a LONG time since I charged to split wood. Firewood was going for $100 a cord and I charged $40 per cord. But, I did stack, so I had an accurate measurement. Looks like you're pretty close to what I used to get. I'd rather get $80 per cord. Now, if I had something special to buy or a project, and $60 would seal the deal, I'd probably do it, Joe.
That aint the going rate.

Oh, that's the other thing about not stacking. He said "about 4 face". Does he want 4 face and then you quit splitting, or do you split the complete pile, that turns out to be 3 cord, and get paid for "4 face"? Joe.

Oh, that's the other thing about not stacking. He said "about 4 face". Does he want 4 face and then you quit splitting, or do you split the complete pile, that turns out to be 3 cord, and get paid for "4 face"? Joe.
How will anyone know till it is stacked is the guy going to stack then pay?

LW, he said the offer was $20 per face, that's $60 per cord. When wood was going for $100 a cord I got $40. Now, it's going for around $200, or more. So by my math that would be $80 per cord. His offer is $80 for a cord and 1/3. That sounds "pretty close" to me, Joe.

I got paid $75 to split right around a cord about 10 years ago when I was in my 20's. I thought it was pretty good money at the time. I wouldn't touch it for that price now a days unless I couldn't pay my bills or my kids were hungry.

You have to start your clock the minute you walk out the door to get your needed tools for the day and the clock doesn't stop until all tools are put away. I can't imagine loading up, driving somewhere, using my machine, packing up, driving back home, and putting everything away being worth $80.

Also, nobody has mentioned what size splits the guy wants. That has to factor in as well but still not worth it in my mind.

ok, thanks guys

yea, i''l definitely go and take a look first at what he wants. his initial offer was 20 bucks, but i'll be sure to come back at 30 bucks...at least.

and i told him right off i don't do stacking. he said he will stack as i split. i'll split them to his liking and no chainsawing involved. i believe he's one of those week end burners type any way, being that he's in a densely populated suburb.

LW, he said the offer was $20 per face, that's $60 per cord. When wood was going for $100 a cord I got $40. Now, it's going for around $200, or more. So by my math that would be $80 per cord. His offer is $80 for a cord and 1/3. That sounds "pretty close" to me, Joe.
It is close.

Latest posts

Back