How much would you give for this saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2stroked

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Guy emailed me and asked what I would give for his saw. It's a ms660 that's seized. I want to give him a fair price but I'm not sure what the going rate is on these. It's in good shape and looks like it was stored inside. The plastic is still nice and orange, but you can tell its been used. What would you give?

If it's siezed it's not in good shape. What does "you can tell it's been used" mean? What I would give would depend on how much damage is done. Is the cylinder reuseable? Is the bottem end ok? You can easily spend more than a saw is worth chasing parts to rebuild one.

Depends on the "rest of the story". Does it have a B/C? What size/condition. A 32" B/C in good condition is worth 50-75 bucks alone. The seized power head, mebbe another 40 bucks.

Depends on the "rest of the story". Does it have a B/C? What size/condition. A 32" B/C in good condition is worth 50-75 bucks alone. The seized power head, mebbe another 40 bucks.

Got any seized ms660 powerheads you are willing to sell for 40 bucks? I see as is do not run. Scored piston and cylinder sell on ebay for 3 to 500 bucks depending on exterior condition. There are guys on here that make a good living just parting saws out. I would give the guy 200 to 250 depending on condition. If you dont wish to keep it part it out and make a few bucks.

To me.. A blown up saw is worth this.

Running retail - maximum parts cost to fix - labor at a shop to fix / 2 = what I pay. If they are asking you to buy it, they want an easy sale. If they want to get the most for a roached saw, they should clean it, list it on eBay and sell it themselves. Labor isn't free... I'd offer him 52 bucks. If he thinks that's way too low, let him give you a number. If that's way too high, let him go through the hassle of trying to sell it.

I sell a lot of stuff and it gets old hearing how something is going for a $ on eBay. Lots of work money and extra time goes into an eBay sale.

Wow i would buy it up for 200-250 all day long. i sure as heck wouldnt sell it that cheap unless there was a lot more wrong with it than that.

I would go $100, but that's just me. If it just needs a top end, easy gravy money. If you need to split it, and do the full meal deal that's lot's of time. Yes, you could part it out on ebay and get much more than that but it's a lot of work and hassle selling crap on ebay. But hey, if it's for you to keep and run then it might not matter if you end up sideways on the deal.

I personally wouldn't go over $200.00 for it and probably not that much.
I found out the hard way that you can put WAY too much money into a blown saw (especially a Stihl, and I mean no offense by that) WAY too quickly.

Now I have a saw that is bigger than anything I'll ever need, that I have more money into than I can ever get back out of, that sits on the shelf and waits for the one time in 1000 that I need it!!!!
It actually has become a thorn in my side because every time I look at it I see 8, $100.00 bills sitting there doing nothing!

Mike

It actually has become a thorn in my side because every time I look at it I see 8, $100.00 bills sitting there doing nothing!

Mike

If I gave you 4, $100 bills that are doing nothing and took the saw would you feel better? :D

See what I mean?
That would get you the P/C, Gary!
That is a perfect example of my point.

For my investment of $800.00 I get the privilege of running 2 tanks through it and re-couping $400.00!:msp_sad:

Mike

around here nobody would ever pay that kind of money for a saw that doesn't run. of course they are plentiful and the thing around here is that if it doesn't run it's worthless. not to me though cause just the parts sold at half the price of new will get you into the profit zone. finding buyers for the parts is the hard part so guys just let them go cheap so they don't have to deal with it. i picked up a rubbermaid tote of 4 066's way back and got 2 running with just the parts i had. $20 for the whole lot. the guy just wanted them out of his shop though. max for me would be $100 and it's gotta be decent shape and complete.

I would do 2-300 without blinking. I probably would have already picked it up.

Back