How much you add for planing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Czech_Made

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Yesterday I cleaned up some of the milled wood, first on jointer, than pushed it through planer.

It made me realize that I am maybe too generous while milling. For 1" board I move the log up 1 3/8" since the chain kerf takes 3/8", the idea was to have 1/4" for the jointer/planer.

The boards I worked with yesterday were flat and smooth at 15/16" and since it was for just a planter, I left it like that.

Sorry for the long story, my question is:

Pricing is an issue I have a problem with.....I've had my mill for 15 years or so and until last week never took in a nickel and that was only because my son in law sold some 5/4 boards. Real interested to see price suggestions for lumber from your own logs, price when somebody else provides logs, planed price, sized price, and planed sized dried.

Sorry this isn't gonna be real helpful. But, if you are doing all of that, it would be quite expensive. I work by the hour and I won't work for less than I made before I retired, so you are looking at at least $35 per hour. With set up time, on hard woods, I might only get 3 or 4 slabs per hour. Then trimming them down to size and planing. Your getting some man hours in there. Most people just want the slabs and they finish, or they want my final product like tables or benches. I don't think I'd take under $800 for my last live edge table, maybe even $1200. I have piles of slabs all over my yard and shed from five years to two weeks. That time works into the equation also. So, a finished board can be a bit pricey, Joe.

Yesterday I cleaned up some of the milled wood, first on jointer, than pushed it through planer.

It made me realize that I am maybe too generous while milling. For 1" board I move the log up 1 3/8" since the chain kerf takes 3/8", the idea was to have 1/4" for the jointer/planer.

The boards I worked with yesterday were flat and smooth at 15/16" and since it was for just a planter, I left it like that.

Sorry for the long story, my question is:

Just on my mill, I add 3/8" for chain kerf and another 3/8" for planer. So for a 4/4 board I would set my mill for 1 3/4". I use 3/8 chain as well if that helps. Hope that helps and have a blessed day.

1/8 per side being planed for me ,i normally plane the 1 side only unless it is furniture type wood .like a deck board will do one side only but a railing board will do both sides

Back